Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rare Token Thoughts?

Rare Token Thoughts? 8 months 1 week ago #229

  • Xavon
  • Xavon's Avatar
  • Away
  • 7th Level
  • Supporter
  • Obligation is the sincerest form of insanity
  • Posts: 3154

jedibcg wrote:

Xavon wrote:

jedibcg wrote:

Picc wrote:

Wayne Rhodes wrote: How about a treasure hunters runestone
+1 treasure pull, automatically find any secret doors

It’s basically trade a rare to roll the dice of fate and see if you pull something better or worse. The second part is more a joke than anything but would be a interesting token instantly if the ever did add secret doors.


I think if it were uncommon or granted say 2 pulls people would be thrilled. As is it's a kinda a bad deal for anyone using it if there are no secret doors. Your pack rare is basically held back until after you dont really need it anymore and it takes up your runestone slot, and you could still draw an uncommon. I'd probably do it but I could see it bumming out people who only had the one pack.

An uncommon granting 2 pulls would be a terrible idea, imo. Someone suggested something similar for rogue boxes.


I don't think it's that bad as a single use/consumable. Like Picc said, it would be a great annoyance for new players if they got a Rare consumable, used it, and then their treasure pull was only a UC.

That said, I would probably leave it at the rare level. UC treasure enhancers are a no-go in my opinion.

And I do wish TD had secret doors and branching dungeons. It might take more volunteers (or at least more effort from the ones who had to handle a double/split room). But it would be cool, thematic, and add replay value. Even if it was only like a two room split in the middle.

Sorry i wasn’t clear why it would be terrible. Consumables used at cons find there way back into the treasure box at a higher rate. So you are going to be pulling them out of the box at higher and higher rates. If it just replaced itself it wouldn’t be too bad. since it replaces itself plus another draw it is a terrible idea.


Well, since it is a coaching room item, just don't put them back into the treasures. Coaches put them in a different bucket to be destroyed.
Applications programming is a race between software engineers, who strive to produce idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, which strives to produce bigger idiots.  <br /><br />So far, the Universe is winning.
The topic has been locked.

Rare Token Thoughts? 8 months 1 week ago #230

jedibcg wrote:

Xavon wrote:

jedibcg wrote:

Picc wrote:

Wayne Rhodes wrote: How about a treasure hunters runestone
+1 treasure pull, automatically find any secret doors

It’s basically trade a rare to roll the dice of fate and see if you pull something better or worse. The second part is more a joke than anything but would be a interesting token instantly if the ever did add secret doors.


I think if it were uncommon or granted say 2 pulls people would be thrilled. As is it's a kinda a bad deal for anyone using it if there are no secret doors. Your pack rare is basically held back until after you dont really need it anymore and it takes up your runestone slot, and you could still draw an uncommon. I'd probably do it but I could see it bumming out people who only had the one pack.

An uncommon granting 2 pulls would be a terrible idea, imo. Someone suggested something similar for rogue boxes.


I don't think it's that bad as a single use/consumable. Like Picc said, it would be a great annoyance for new players if they got a Rare consumable, used it, and then their treasure pull was only a UC.

That said, I would probably leave it at the rare level. UC treasure enhancers are a no-go in my opinion.

And I do wish TD had secret doors and branching dungeons. It might take more volunteers (or at least more effort from the ones who had to handle a double/split room). But it would be cool, thematic, and add replay value. Even if it was only like a two room split in the middle.

Sorry i wasn’t clear why it would be terrible. Consumables used at cons find there way back into the treasure box at a higher rate. So you are going to be pulling them out of the box at higher and higher rates. If it just replaced itself it wouldn’t be too bad. since it replaces itself plus another draw it is a terrible idea.

This could be fixed by just not adding consumables turned in at coaching to the treasure mix. Since coaching basically only adds runestones.
The topic has been locked.

Rare Token Thoughts? 8 months 1 week ago #231

jedibcg wrote:

Xavon wrote:

jedibcg wrote:

Picc wrote:

Wayne Rhodes wrote: How about a treasure hunters runestone
+1 treasure pull, automatically find any secret doors

It’s basically trade a rare to roll the dice of fate and see if you pull something better or worse. The second part is more a joke than anything but would be a interesting token instantly if the ever did add secret doors.


I think if it were uncommon or granted say 2 pulls people would be thrilled. As is it's a kinda a bad deal for anyone using it if there are no secret doors. Your pack rare is basically held back until after you dont really need it anymore and it takes up your runestone slot, and you could still draw an uncommon. I'd probably do it but I could see it bumming out people who only had the one pack.

An uncommon granting 2 pulls would be a terrible idea, imo. Someone suggested something similar for rogue boxes.


I don't think it's that bad as a single use/consumable. Like Picc said, it would be a great annoyance for new players if they got a Rare consumable, used it, and then their treasure pull was only a UC.

That said, I would probably leave it at the rare level. UC treasure enhancers are a no-go in my opinion.

And I do wish TD had secret doors and branching dungeons. It might take more volunteers (or at least more effort from the ones who had to handle a double/split room). But it would be cool, thematic, and add replay value. Even if it was only like a two room split in the middle.

Sorry i wasn’t clear why it would be terrible. Consumables used at cons find there way back into the treasure box at a higher rate. So you are going to be pulling them out of the box at higher and higher rates. If it just replaced itself it wouldn’t be too bad. since it replaces itself plus another draw it is a terrible idea.


Why is that?

I have no idea about how is treasure generated (but didn’t think it was gettin gcreated mid Con!)
The topic has been locked.

Rare Token Thoughts? 8 months 6 days ago #232

Mid con only if they are running low. Other cons it is the same as transmuted stuff going into the treasure mix.
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.
The topic has been locked.

Rare Token Thoughts? 8 months 5 days ago #233

There aren't many Tokens that use multiple slots. Multi slot tokens would be great for players with few tokens and lots of empty space, and it would help close the gap between all slots filled players and 1 to 5 booster players. Would also probably speed up coaching...

How does this sound?

Adventurer's coveralls

Uses shirt, belt, and pants slot

+3 str, +1 Dex, +1 con, +1 wisdom
The topic has been locked.

Rare Token Thoughts? 8 months 5 days ago #234

Endgame wrote: There aren't many Tokens that use multiple slots. Multi slot tokens would be great for players with few tokens and lots of empty space, and it would help close the gap between all slots filled players and 1 to 5 booster players. Would also probably speed up coaching...

How does this sound?

Adventurer's coveralls

Uses shirt, belt, and pants slot

+3 str, +1 Dex, +1 con, +1 wisdom


Ooooh, interesting.

Scaled Waders
Uses boots, shins & pants slot
+2 AC, +3 str, -1 dex

Welder's Helmet
Uses Head & Eyes slot
+2 AC,
+3 to hit in Daylight
-1 to hit inside


Yeah, okay, no one wants to bother with the inside/outside difference in to-hit.
The topic has been locked.

Rare Token Thoughts? 8 months 5 days ago #235

Endgame wrote: There aren't many Tokens that use multiple slots. Multi slot tokens would be great for players with few tokens and lots of empty space, and it would help close the gap between all slots filled players and 1 to 5 booster players. Would also probably speed up coaching...

How does this sound?

Adventurer's coveralls

Uses shirt, belt, and pants slot

+3 str, +1 Dex, +1 con, +1 wisdom


Gut feel is that it is too much. Yes, it takes up 3 slots, but gives:

+2 to-hit and damage melee
+1 to-hit ranged
+1 damage thrown
+1 AC
+1 to all saves
+4 HP

That feels like a lot for a single token. Yes, in theory you are giving up the a ability to equip two tokens, but at the open-a-10-pack-and-get-this-as-your-Rare level that isn't really much of a constraint.

And for the person that has this token, you have set the bar pretty high for them to find a combination of three tokens in those slots to be worth replacing that one.

I don't have time for an exhaustive search to do comparison, but here are some recent Rares in those slots:
Belt of Ogre Strength: +2 Str
Shirt of the Valiant: +3 HP
Pants of the Lynx: +3 Reflex & slow fall 30 ft.

Your suggested Rare is more powerful than those 3 Rares together (in my opinion).
The topic has been locked.

Rare Token Thoughts? 8 months 5 days ago #236

Endgame wrote: There aren't many Tokens that use multiple slots.

Is there any token that simultaneously occupies more than one slot?
Have you looked it up in the TDb ?
Please post TDb corrections/suggestions in this thread .
If I write something in teal, it should not be taken seriously.
The topic has been locked.

Rare Token Thoughts? 8 months 5 days ago #237

Druegar wrote:

Endgame wrote: There aren't many Tokens that use multiple slots.

Is there any token that simultaneously occupies more than one slot?

Medallion of Heroism / Ring of Fateful Heroism?

Functionally the same enough you could change my proposed token to:

Pants. May not equip waist or shirt items.
The topic has been locked.

Rare Token Thoughts? 8 months 5 days ago #238

Fiddy wrote:

Endgame wrote: There aren't many Tokens that use multiple slots. Multi slot tokens would be great for players with few tokens and lots of empty space, and it would help close the gap between all slots filled players and 1 to 5 booster players. Would also probably speed up coaching...

How does this sound?

Adventurer's coveralls

Uses shirt, belt, and pants slot

+3 str, +1 Dex, +1 con, +1 wisdom


Gut feel is that it is too much. Yes, it takes up 3 slots, but gives:

+2 to-hit and damage melee
+1 to-hit ranged
+1 damage thrown
+1 AC
+1 to all saves
+4 HP

That feels like a lot for a single token. Yes, in theory you are giving up the a ability to equip two tokens, but at the open-a-10-pack-and-get-this-as-your-Rare level that isn't really much of a constraint.

And for the person that has this token, you have set the bar pretty high for them to find a combination of three tokens in those slots to be worth replacing that one.

I don't have time for an exhaustive search to do comparison, but here are some recent Rares in those slots:
Belt of Ogre Strength: +2 Str
Shirt of the Valiant: +3 HP
Pants of the Lynx: +3 Reflex & slow fall 30 ft.

Your suggested Rare is more powerful than those 3 Rares together (in my opinion).


I'll take your 3 rares, and instead suggest that my token is questionably better than a rare, an uncommon, and a common

Try this:

Belt of the Berserker (or Belt of Ogre Power)
Shirt of Brawn
Blighted Pants

+4 str (+3 str), +1 con, -1 dex, -1 will -2 AC (-0 AC)

Note, in this set of Rare / uncommon / common, the -1 dex can be recouped with another common, blighted boots.

The Adventurer's coveralls don't last long either, when you look at a typical upgrade path, as any upgrade in any slot negates the token. Example:

Upgrade belt to Belt of Ogre Mage Power
Upgrade Shirt to Shirt of Baneful Prowess
Upgrade pants to Blessed Pants of the Hare

For melee classes, the trio of transmuted items yields +5 Str, +1 dex which is likely to be more desirable than the +1 wisdom and +1 con.

*edit*

None the less, you could nerf it to +1 str instead of +3 str, but then I don't think it really sees any use outside of sealed type "i opened this, so I'll use it" scenarios.
Last edit: by Endgame.
The topic has been locked.

Rare Token Thoughts? 8 months 5 days ago #239

Endgame wrote: Medallion of Heroism / Ring of Fateful Heroism?
Functionally the same enough you could change my proposed token to:
Pants. May not equip waist or shirt items.

Gotcha, thanks :)
Have you looked it up in the TDb ?
Please post TDb corrections/suggestions in this thread .
If I write something in teal, it should not be taken seriously.
The topic has been locked.

Rare Token Thoughts? 8 months 5 days ago #240

Braxton Thomason wrote:

Endgame wrote: There aren't many Tokens that use multiple slots. Multi slot tokens would be great for players with few tokens and lots of empty space, and it would help close the gap between all slots filled players and 1 to 5 booster players. Would also probably speed up coaching...

How does this sound?

Adventurer's coveralls

Uses shirt, belt, and pants slot

+3 str, +1 Dex, +1 con, +1 wisdom


Ooooh, interesting.

Scaled Waders
Uses boots, shins & pants slot
+2 AC, +3 str, -1 dex

Welder's Helmet
Uses Head & Eyes slot
+2 AC,
+3 to hit in Daylight
-1 to hit inside


Yeah, okay, no one wants to bother with the inside/outside difference in to-hit.


Endgame and you have a very cool idea.
--
macXdmg
Monk of the Painda Order
The topic has been locked.
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds