Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Try discussing here....

Try discussing here.... 3 months 3 weeks ago #73

News of the spread of the Delta plus variant was depressing to see today. It looks like this variant is more effective in evading the vaccines, is more transmissible, and more deadly.

We'll have to wait and see how this progresses but it definitely dampens my con plans if a variant is beating the vaccines.

Fred
What do we want? Evidence based science! When do we want it? After peer review!

Wizard build
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=570&id=247398

Rogue build
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=569&id=245490#287189

Items for Sale or Trade
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=583&id=247555

Items needed to complete my collection
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=61&id=253058

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 3 months 3 weeks ago #74

Fred K wrote: News of the spread of the Delta plus variant was depressing to see today. It looks like this variant is more effective in evading the vaccines, is more transmissible, and more deadly.

We'll have to wait and see how this progresses but it definitely dampens my con plans if a variant is beating the vaccines.

Fred


Delta is unfortunate indeed, and honestly not only has this con season in jeopardy, but likely 2022 as well. . It did inspire me to bump the distributed computing thread, however. I would love to see more people adding their computers to team True Dungeon and get us above the roughly 6 3 active participants we have now.

DC thread
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&defaultmenu=141&catid=8&id=251023&start=0

Teams stats:
stats.foldingathome.org/team/261246

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Endgame.

Try discussing here.... 3 months 3 weeks ago #75

  • bpsymington
  • bpsymington's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer
  • Posts: 15620

Fred K wrote: News of the spread of the Delta plus variant was depressing to see today. It looks like this variant is more effective in evading the vaccines, is more transmissible, and more deadly.

We'll have to wait and see how this progresses but it definitely dampens my con plans if a variant is beating the vaccines.

Fred


News reports say the Astrazeneca and Pfizer vaccines are broadly effective against Delta, especially if both shots have been received.
Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer

Awesome avatar by Mauve Shirt!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 3 months 3 weeks ago #76

  • bpsymington
  • bpsymington's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer
  • Posts: 15620
Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer

Awesome avatar by Mauve Shirt!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 3 months 2 weeks ago #77

Picc wrote:

Fred K wrote: I wonder if people fought the same way to not get vaccinated against Polio.

Fred


According to my grandma, there was more fear of polio itself so they were grateful for the shots. I guess people were more trusting of authorities back then.


My Dad is 91 and we were talking about this. My brothers (all in their 60's....clearly I was an OOPS) said they just remembered lining up in school and getting a sugar cube. My Dad said he just doesn't recall any type of controversy, although there may have been some. This seems more politicized than polio. He said when it was available you just lined up and got it, because that's what you needed to do.

Now, he is 91 and that was a long time ago, so it's possible he doesn't recall controversy, or maybe there was none in our small town. Information didn't flow as quickly then as it does now.

Lori
Lori :-)

Lori Martin
True Dungeon Exec. Director
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 3 months 2 weeks ago #78

  • Ramsildor
  • Ramsildor's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
  • Posts: 684
I remember getting the Measles vaccine in elementary school, standing in a long line with people in white cloaks standing by large silver tanks and the sound of the pneumatic injector as we each got the vaccine and a lollipop after the shot. That was around 1966
"You don't stop playing because you grow old;
you grow old because you stop playing."
- Benjamin Franklin
Sitar, my Bard tdcharactercreator.com/#/character/edit/6dd0b0e3-1014-4f08-a192-4ffb7abeaa2e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 3 months 1 week ago #79

barkley.neo.rr.com -->see my trade thread HERE , my eBay store HERE or my web store HERE
"Ceci n'est pas une pipe" - Magritte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 3 months 1 week ago #80

Brad Mortensen wrote: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9756975/CDC-launches-investigation-healthy-boy-dies-three-days-receiving-second-Covid-vaccine.html


Thanks for pointing out how safe it is. Of millions vaccinated one person died in a way that might not even be related, and the CDC is still launching a full investigation into it just in case.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 3 months 1 week ago #81

Josh M. wrote:

Brad Mortensen wrote: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9756975/CDC-launches-investigation-healthy-boy-dies-three-days-receiving-second-Covid-vaccine.html


Thanks for pointing out how safe it is. Of millions vaccinated one person died in a way that might not even be related, and the CDC is still launching a full investigation into it just in case.


No, not just one…

newsroom.heart.org/news/cdc-investigating-rare-myocarditis-in-teens-young-adults-covid-19-vaccine-still-advised-for-all-who-are-eligible

And I’d point out the previous posts where people said the exact opposite when it came to the very low number of kids dying from COVID “it’s not a low number if it’s your child…”
barkley.neo.rr.com -->see my trade thread HERE , my eBay store HERE or my web store HERE
"Ceci n'est pas une pipe" - Magritte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 3 months 1 week ago #82

Brad Mortensen wrote:

Josh M. wrote:

Brad Mortensen wrote: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9756975/CDC-launches-investigation-healthy-boy-dies-three-days-receiving-second-Covid-vaccine.html


Thanks for pointing out how safe it is. Of millions vaccinated one person died in a way that might not even be related, and the CDC is still launching a full investigation into it just in case.


No, not just one…

newsroom.heart.org/news/cdc-investigating-rare-myocarditis-in-teens-young-adults-covid-19-vaccine-still-advised-for-all-who-are-eligible

And I’d point out the previous posts where people said the exact opposite when it came to the very low number of kids dying from COVID “it’s not a low number if it’s your child…”


3.5 million fully vaccinated kids 12-18 and another 1.3 million with at least one shot. If the 13 year old's death is attributed to the vaccination, that is terrible, but if even 1% of those kids had gotten Covid, and only 1% of those had died, that would be 480 deaths. The dangers posed by the disease are much higher than any potential issue with the vaccine. If your doctor has told you to not take the vaccine due to health risks, that is what you should do, but pointing out possible issues with an age group you aren't in or suggesting that there is a risk when none has been proven is wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 3 months 1 week ago #83

balthasar wrote:

Brad Mortensen wrote:

Josh M. wrote:

Brad Mortensen wrote: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9756975/CDC-launches-investigation-healthy-boy-dies-three-days-receiving-second-Covid-vaccine.html


Thanks for pointing out how safe it is. Of millions vaccinated one person died in a way that might not even be related, and the CDC is still launching a full investigation into it just in case.


No, not just one…

newsroom.heart.org/news/cdc-investigating-rare-myocarditis-in-teens-young-adults-covid-19-vaccine-still-advised-for-all-who-are-eligible

And I’d point out the previous posts where people said the exact opposite when it came to the very low number of kids dying from COVID “it’s not a low number if it’s your child…”


3.5 million fully vaccinated kids 12-18 and another 1.3 million with at least one shot. If the 13 year old's death is attributed to the vaccination, that is terrible, but if even 1% of those kids had gotten Covid, and only 1% of those had died, that would be 480 deaths. The dangers posed by the disease are much higher than any potential issue with the vaccine. If your doctor has told you to not take the vaccine due to health risks, that is what you should do, but pointing out possible issues with an age group you aren't in or suggesting that there is a risk when none has been proven is wrong.


How is adults pointing out possible issues with children taking vaccines wrong? Shouldn't possible issues be pointed out, and shouldn't people be making informed decisions based on all available data?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 3 months 1 week ago #84

Brad Mortensen wrote: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9756975/CDC-launches-investigation-healthy-boy-dies-three-days-receiving-second-Covid-vaccine.html


Brad

You have to stop following Fox and Murdoch properties. Their "news" isn't just biased but is outright prejudicial (their viewers, when polled, are found to have less factual information about stories covered than people who didn't read the news at all.)

The first question mark on this story that should raise skepticism is that it wasn't picked up by the AP, UPI, NY Times, NPR, etc.. If the legitimate mainstream news sources all avoided it - there is probably a reason.

As for the story...
A kid died. He happened to have been vaccinated three days prior (and didn't show symptoms consistent with a reaction of any medicine impacting the heart in the days prior to his death.) That's correlation, not causation.

The CDC investigates anyone who develops any serious condition or dies within a certain period of time after being vaccinated. This is true of flu vaccines, the polio vaccine, etc.. They have a list of more than 800 people who happened to have died within 90 days of getting a Covid vaccine where the cause of death isn't immediately obvious (car accident, gunshot, etc..) This includes heart attacks, strokes, etc.. So far, 3 have been confirmed to be caused by a vaccine. All 3 were J&J and resulted in the suspension of the J&J vaccine to see if the problem was more prevalent. After reviewing the evidence, the data showed taking the J&J vaccine was still safer than not being vaccinated (by four orders of magnitude.)

It is possible the child had some very rare condition that interacted with the vaccine in a way that hasn't occurred in anyone previously vaccinated. It's also possible another underlying condition or other situation caused his death. That's why the CDC investigates all of these even though more than 99% result in there being no relationship.

Fred
What do we want? Evidence based science! When do we want it? After peer review!

Wizard build
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=570&id=247398

Rogue build
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=569&id=245490#287189

Items for Sale or Trade
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=583&id=247555

Items needed to complete my collection
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=61&id=253058

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds