Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Try discussing here....

Try discussing here.... 1 month 1 week ago #241

The history of science has not always had a positive story.
Days since a Game Convention: 571
Days since a Festival: 7 (549) Renaissance Festival
Days since a Broomball game: 585
Days since a Concert: 686
Days since a Hockey game: 693
Days since a War of 1812 re-enactment: 718
Days since a Draft Beer: 65 (511)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 1 month 1 week ago #242

Interesting interview article about GenCon’s current safety policies:

icv2.com/articles/news/view/49282/icv2-interview-covid-safety-gen-con

Apparently GenCon estimates 90% of their attendees are vaccinated.

What a shame that in an effort to cater to the other 10% they ended up with a masks required con that is less safe.

It’s hard for me to imagine those choices will lead to increased attendance and enjoyment relative to requiring vaccines.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Matthew Hayward.

Try discussing here.... 1 month 1 week ago #243

Matthew Hayward wrote: Interesting interview article about GenCon’s current safety policies:

icv2.com/articles/news/view/49282/icv2-interview-covid-safety-gen-con

Apparently GenCon estimates 90% of their attendees are vaccinated.

What a shame that in an effort to cater to the other 10% they ended up with a masks required con that is less safe.

It’s hard for me to imagine those choices will lead to increased attendance and enjoyment relative to requiring vaccines.


That estimate is based on a survey earlier this year where they asked attendees if they planned on being vaccinated for the convention. I would not trust that to be an accurate number. I am vaccinated and would not be attending if they did not require masks, even if vaccinations were required. The country is half vaccinated and we are seeing higher numbers now than at this time than last year because of the Delta variant. I don't think requiring vaccinations would make it any safer unless you required both masks and the shot. Keep in mind that Indiana is only at 47% fully vaxxed which means attendees would be exposed to to locals that really don't seem to care about the health of others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 1 month 1 week ago #244

balthasar wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote: Interesting interview article about GenCon’s current safety policies:

icv2.com/articles/news/view/49282/icv2-interview-covid-safety-gen-con

Apparently GenCon estimates 90% of their attendees are vaccinated.

What a shame that in an effort to cater to the other 10% they ended up with a masks required con that is less safe.

It’s hard for me to imagine those choices will lead to increased attendance and enjoyment relative to requiring vaccines.


That estimate is based on a survey earlier this year where they asked attendees if they planned on being vaccinated for the convention. I would not trust that to be an accurate number. I am vaccinated and would not be attending if they did not require masks, even if vaccinations were required. The country is half vaccinated and we are seeing higher numbers now than at this time than last year because of the Delta variant. I don't think requiring vaccinations would make it any safer unless you required both masks and the shot. Keep in mind that Indiana is only at 47% fully vaxxed which means attendees would be exposed to to locals that really don't seem to care about the health of others.


Take it up with GenCon - not me - they are the ones saying:

“…our internal polling indicates that over 90% of our attendees are vaccinated.”

I’m not sure how you drew the conclusion as to the source and provenance of that data - since GenCon’s representative didn’t say what the source was.

I’m not sure if you are saying:

Fully vaccinated but without masks

Is less safe than:

No vaccine requirements but with masks.

But if you are I disagree.

However CDC recommendations for Clark county include wearing a mask in public regardless of vaccination status currently so I suppose I shouldn’t put the mask requirement at the feet of GenCon’s cowardly decision making here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Matthew Hayward.

Try discussing here.... 1 month 1 week ago #245

My buddy at GenCon just sent me a photo of the line-less Will Call station.
Weird
Days since a Game Convention: 571
Days since a Festival: 7 (549) Renaissance Festival
Days since a Broomball game: 585
Days since a Concert: 686
Days since a Hockey game: 693
Days since a War of 1812 re-enactment: 718
Days since a Draft Beer: 65 (511)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 1 month 1 week ago #246

raptorov wrote: My buddy at GenCon just sent me a photo of the line-less Will Call station.
Weird


Didn’t they make all badges mail delivery mandatory? I’d expect will call to only have exceptions / errors to process.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 1 month 1 week ago #247

Even though I'm skipping GENCON this year, ironically I'm in downtown Indy tomorrow. Maybe I'll count that close proximity as being at GENCON this year. I still have my mistakenly sent badge, cut in half. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 1 month 1 week ago #248

macxdmg wrote: Science should probably be taught before history. You don’t have to know history if you trust the science, the history is just a bonus!


Some very dark things have been done in the name of science, not understanding history can lead to us revisiting the same questionable scientific ethics.

Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis

JOSEF MENGELE Experiments at the death camps

Shirō Ishii With unit 731

History shows us that if we let science go unchecked it can lead to some very dark places.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 1 month 1 week ago #249

Wayne Rhodes wrote:

macxdmg wrote: Science should probably be taught before history. You don’t have to know history if you trust the science, the history is just a bonus!


Some very dark things have been done in the name of science, not understanding history can lead to us revisiting the same questionable scientific ethics.

Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis

JOSEF MENGELE Experiments at the death camps

Shirō Ishii With unit 731

History shows us that if we let science go unchecked it can lead to some very dark places.


That’s an interesting takeaway, I accept your takeaway. Science history is part of science, and history is still a bonus.
--
macXdmg
Monk of the Painda Order
Bard of the College of Sick Beats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 1 month 1 week ago #250

Thats why science must be tempered with Ethics and Philosophy.

Remember what Dr Ian Malcolm said: "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should"
Days since a Game Convention: 571
Days since a Festival: 7 (549) Renaissance Festival
Days since a Broomball game: 585
Days since a Concert: 686
Days since a Hockey game: 693
Days since a War of 1812 re-enactment: 718
Days since a Draft Beer: 65 (511)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Try discussing here.... 1 month 1 week ago #251

Matthew Hayward wrote:

balthasar wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote: Interesting interview article about GenCon’s current safety policies:

icv2.com/articles/news/view/49282/icv2-interview-covid-safety-gen-con

Apparently GenCon estimates 90% of their attendees are vaccinated.

What a shame that in an effort to cater to the other 10% they ended up with a masks required con that is less safe.

It’s hard for me to imagine those choices will lead to increased attendance and enjoyment relative to requiring vaccines.


That estimate is based on a survey earlier this year where they asked attendees if they planned on being vaccinated for the convention. I would not trust that to be an accurate number. I am vaccinated and would not be attending if they did not require masks, even if vaccinations were required. The country is half vaccinated and we are seeing higher numbers now than at this time than last year because of the Delta variant. I don't think requiring vaccinations would make it any safer unless you required both masks and the shot. Keep in mind that Indiana is only at 47% fully vaxxed which means attendees would be exposed to to locals that really don't seem to care about the health of others.


Take it up with GenCon - not me - they are the ones saying:

“…our internal polling indicates that over 90% of our attendees are vaccinated.”

I’m not sure how you drew the conclusion as to the source and provenance of that data - since GenCon’s representative didn’t say what the source was.

I’m not sure if you are saying:

Fully vaccinated but without masks

Is less safe than:

No vaccine requirements but with masks.

But if you are I disagree.

However CDC recommendations for Clark county include wearing a mask in public regardless of vaccination status currently so I suppose I shouldn’t put the mask requirement at the feet of GenCon’s cowardly decision making here.


They told us the result of their survey months ago. It was the one in which they asked how people wanted Gen Con to handle health and safety issues. That survey had 90% of people saying they expected to be vaccinated by the time Gen Con went live. I don't trust the results because I believe a non-zero number of people would not meet that goal. Also, I am not saying just masks without vaccination would be safer, just that only requiring vaccinations and NOT requiring masks would not be safer than what we have now. In a perfect world, I would like to see vaccinations required, masks required, and voluntary testing on Sunday to possibly catch any breakthrough cases. Gen Con could report the results later in an attempt to let people know if they should consider limiting contact after the con.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by balthasar.

Try discussing here.... 1 month 1 week ago #252

balthasar wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote:

balthasar wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote: Interesting interview article about GenCon’s current safety policies:

icv2.com/articles/news/view/49282/icv2-interview-covid-safety-gen-con

Apparently GenCon estimates 90% of their attendees are vaccinated.

What a shame that in an effort to cater to the other 10% they ended up with a masks required con that is less safe.

It’s hard for me to imagine those choices will lead to increased attendance and enjoyment relative to requiring vaccines.


That estimate is based on a survey earlier this year where they asked attendees if they planned on being vaccinated for the convention. I would not trust that to be an accurate number. I am vaccinated and would not be attending if they did not require masks, even if vaccinations were required. The country is half vaccinated and we are seeing higher numbers now than at this time than last year because of the Delta variant. I don't think requiring vaccinations would make it any safer unless you required both masks and the shot. Keep in mind that Indiana is only at 47% fully vaxxed which means attendees would be exposed to to locals that really don't seem to care about the health of others.


Take it up with GenCon - not me - they are the ones saying:

“…our internal polling indicates that over 90% of our attendees are vaccinated.”

I’m not sure how you drew the conclusion as to the source and provenance of that data - since GenCon’s representative didn’t say what the source was.

I’m not sure if you are saying:

Fully vaccinated but without masks

Is less safe than:

No vaccine requirements but with masks.

But if you are I disagree.

However CDC recommendations for Clark county include wearing a mask in public regardless of vaccination status currently so I suppose I shouldn’t put the mask requirement at the feet of GenCon’s cowardly decision making here.


They told us the result of their survey months ago. It was the one in which they asked how people wanted Gen Con to handle health and safety issues. That survey had 90% of people saying they expected to be vaccinated by the time Gen Con went live. I don't trust the results because I believe a non-zero number of people would not meet that goal. Also, I am not saying just masks without vaccination would be safer, just that only requiring vaccinations and NOT requiring masks would not be safer than what we have now. In a perfect world, I would like to see vaccinations required, masks required, and voluntary testing on Sunday to possibly catch any breakthrough cases. Gen Con could report the results later in an attempt to let people know if they should consider limiting contact after the con.


So, it was a survey that people who don't care about covid wouldn't bother answering, AND those of us most concerned absolutely DID respond and are not going to gencon because vaccines are not required.
If they were pushing that 90% number to try and convince more people that gencon is safe, that is evil and makes me even happier that I'm not going.
this is not a signature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds