Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2020 Ultra Rare Beta Images

2020 Ultra Rare Beta Images 7 months 1 week ago #73

Fiddy wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote:

Fiddy wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote:

jpotter wrote:

Brad Mortensen wrote: Re: Meek - it’s kind of confusing. What counts as “other melee dmg bonus”? Is that other than STR? Or is STR bonus part of the +5?

Can it just be reworded as “melee damage bonus limited to +5” or 11, or whatever the limit is meant to be?


I like this better for simplicity's sake.

"Max +10 hit/+10 damage on party card" or something along those lines


There is nothing wrong with the eminently simpler: Max 18 STR.

Has anyone actually explained a scenario where that limit alone doesn't avoid any problems?

The Rod of the Meek gets +1 to hit over the new flaming shortsword, with the drawback that your STR can't be over 18. What more needs to be said?


Given how we've stated in the past that the VSF are OP, I'm a bit surprised we're doing the Dirk as well since it is close to a reprint of VSF.

In addition to being +1 to hit over the Dirk, the Rod also has no typed damage that could be resisted, and is usable by more classes.

I agree the restriction should be simpler. I had suggested just a +10 melee damage limit.

As far as why the Rod needs restrictions, compare it to the +2 War Shillelagh from 2017, which is limited to Barbarian, Fighters, and Paladin. The Rod gets +1 more to hit, and has the same average damage. Or compare to last year's +2 Holy Avenger. The Rod has +1 to hit and +0.5 higher average damage. The Avenger is limited to 4 classes, one of which gets a tough to trigger effect.

A weapon usable by all should NOT be so close to the more restricted weapons. If we're going to make them so close, there needs to be a real restriction.

In my opinion.


The STR 18 cap is a massive drawback.

Adding more drawbacks is complicated, and serves no purpose.


Here is a realistic build you could put together for ~$50:

L4 Fighter:

Gauntlets of Ogre Power +2 STR
Betl of Ogre Power +2 STR
Shirt of Baneful Prowess +2 STR
Bracers of Frost +2 damage
Lenses of Heimdahl Site +1 to hit
Ring of Dark Health +1 damage
The 2020 +2 shock damage boots
Amulet of Vigor +2 STR
Fiendish Charm +2 STR
Wicked Charm +1 STR

Total strength: 26
Total melee to-hit bonus before weapon: +9
Total melee damage bonus before: +13


This build with +2 War Shillelagh:

+11 to hit, 20.5 average damage

This build with Rod of the Meek: First you have to drop 8 STR. Then you get:

+8 to hit, 16.5 average damage.



The Fighter build above would be better off with usable by all, +1 Bliss Hammer than it would be by dropping 8 STR and using Rod of the Meek.




If anyone isn't yet sure if the STR 18 cap isn't a sufficient drawback, I recommend this exercise:

1. Write out the build using Rod of the Meek.

2. See if with a budget of $50 on the main token stores, you can get a better to-hit and damage bonus by modifying the same build with a +1 Bliss Hammer and going over 18 STR.

I believe you will always be able to succeed at this task.


Grrrrr.... This is exactly part of why I hate the 2018 hammers. We gave too much power in a weapon usable by all and now we're pushing things from there. Prior to 2018, hammers were usable only by a restricted set of classes and due to the Norse theme of the modules it was decided to make hammers usable by all that year without toning down their damage. I still strongly suggest that hammers from 2018 not be used to design future tokens, or else we really ought to consider bumping up weapons for Fighters BEFORE we release more powerful weapons usable by all.


The +1 Bliss Hammer are completely irrelevant to the point being made.

The exact same argument applies for the 2010 +1 Darkwood Club or any number of other rare weapons.

It's not the ~1 point extra damage on the Bliss Hammer that somehow is making the argument above work.

The point is build utilizing the Rod of the Meek with 18 STR can be improved upon by dropping to a rare melee weapon and buying half a dozen or so STR boosting rares an uncommons.

That state of affairs demonstrates that the 18 STR cap is a sufficient drawback and we don't need to go down the road of confusing additional limitations.


I don't understand your concern with the Bliss Hammers in any case, at the R, UR, and Relic levels they didn't really change much of anything for anyone:

In 2010 there was a usable by all +1 Darkwood Club with average damage 4.666. Then in 2018 there was a 5.5 average damage usable by all +1 Bliss Hammer. I believe everyone but Wizards already had 5.5 average damage one handed melee weapons at rare prior to 2018.

In 2014 there was a usable by +3 Rod of Niltongue with average damage 6.5 and a secondary ability. Then in 2018 there was a usable by all +3 Throwing Hammer of Smiting of average damage also of 6.5 and a stat limit and a secondary ability.

Prior to Thor's, every class had access to a legendary weapon of at least 8.5 average damage. The only one exactly at 8.5 average damage is the Wizard one, which also conveys +5 to spell damage, every other class has access to higher damage legendary weapons. Thor's has 8.5 average damage, a stat minimum, and is keen and a returning thrown weapon.

It doesn't look to me that there has been any really substantial power creep with the hammers. If there is - it is at the legendary tier with returning and keen.

I understand and even agree with the frustration that Fighters don't have the best weapons really - or the gap is narrow. From the above, it doesn't look like that has anything to do with the hammers at all.

I think the real culprit there is the Viper Strike Fangs which gave classes beyond fighter access to a +2, 7.5 average damage one handed weapon (previously only available as the Dread Sword I think).
Last edit: by Matthew Hayward.
The topic has been locked.

2020 Ultra Rare Beta Images 7 months 1 week ago #74

The only reason the 18 str is insufficient is if people are cheating and others wish to prevent it. A party card visible limit helps GMs rule against cheaters. I would just prefer the 18 str and assume people are not cheating, but I get why having a melee damage bonus if 5 or 7 or 10 might be wanted by some players.

Just for clarity, is it 5 over the default, or five in total? I know a 8 strength rogue that is very interested.
--
macXdmg
Monk of the Painda Order
The topic has been locked.

2020 Ultra Rare Beta Images 7 months 1 week ago #75

I just don't think we should design tokens to protect against cheaters. There are many simpler ways to cheat.

For example: +3/+5 hammer. Meeting the required minimum for that isn't on the party card, all someone has to do is whip it out later, and DMs won't be able to verify. How is that different?
The topic has been locked.

2020 Ultra Rare Beta Images 7 months 1 week ago #76

Braxton wrote: I just don't think we should design tokens to protect against cheaters. There are many simpler ways to cheat.

For example: +3/+5 hammer. Meeting the required minimum for that isn't on the party card, all someone has to do is whip it out later, and DMs won't be able to verify. How is that different?


Agreed. I also see their point, I disagree with it, but I see it.
--
macXdmg
Monk of the Painda Order
The topic has been locked.

2020 Ultra Rare Beta Images 7 months 1 week ago #77

Matt Goodman wrote:

Milambus (Jake) wrote: +2 Flaming Dirk: Previous dirks have been d4 weapons except 2019's common dirk with is a d8. The d4 dirks were throwable, will this be throwable? Can monks Flurry-of-Blows with it? Perhaps a different type of knife would be better here.


Clarification would be nice. I would like a FoB compatible UR weapon. It's been WAY too long. Same damage as the +2 Viper Strike Fang. But, doesn't have the Viper Strike set bonus. I see this as a win and a good token to be FoB.


Rod of the meek is fob isn’t it?
--
macXdmg
Monk of the Painda Order
The topic has been locked.

2020 Ultra Rare Beta Images 7 months 1 week ago #78

macXdmg wrote:

Matt Goodman wrote:

Milambus (Jake) wrote: +2 Flaming Dirk: Previous dirks have been d4 weapons except 2019's common dirk with is a d8. The d4 dirks were throwable, will this be throwable? Can monks Flurry-of-Blows with it? Perhaps a different type of knife would be better here.


Clarification would be nice. I would like a FoB compatible UR weapon. It's been WAY too long. Same damage as the +2 Viper Strike Fang. But, doesn't have the Viper Strike set bonus. I see this as a win and a good token to be FoB.


Rod of the meek is fob isn’t it?


Why would the Rod be FoB? No other Rod is.
The topic has been locked.

2020 Ultra Rare Beta Images 7 months 1 week ago #79

Matthew Hayward wrote: I understand and even agree with the frustration that Fighters don't have the best weapons really - or the gap is narrow. From the above, it doesn't look like that has anything to do with the hammers at all.

I think the real culprit there is the Viper Strike Fangs which gave classes beyond fighter access to a +2, 7.5 average damage one handed weapon (previously only available as the Dread Sword I think).


You're right that that is probably the key of my frustration. We've crept up on the Fighter (and Barbarian and Paladin) one-handed weapons for all the other classes and the Fighters need some love.

I'll save my ranting for the character card redesigns. And probably be pushing for a Fighter (and friends) UR weapon next year to act as the basis for the Fighter transmute. Still disappointed that I expect Fighters have little chance of seeing a Relic/Legendary weapon before maybe 2023 at this point. But that's not germane to these URs.
The topic has been locked.

2020 Ultra Rare Beta Images 7 months 1 week ago #80

jpotter wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote:

jpotter wrote:

Brad Mortensen wrote: Re: Meek - it’s kind of confusing. What counts as “other melee dmg bonus”? Is that other than STR? Or is STR bonus part of the +5?

Can it just be reworded as “melee damage bonus limited to +5” or 11, or whatever the limit is meant to be?


I like this better for simplicity's sake.

"Max +10 hit/+10 damage on party card" or something along those lines


There is nothing wrong with the eminently simpler: Max 18 STR.

Has anyone actually explained a scenario where that limit alone doesn't avoid any problems?

The Rod of the Meek gets +1 to hit over the new flaming shortsword, with the drawback that your STR can't be over 18. What more needs to be said?


I was thinking people wanted to avoid a situation where by adding simply plus hit and damage items instead of str items, they somehow 'break' the rod.

So this is just me making something in a few minutes, but I made this fighter:

tdcharactercreator.com/#/character/edit/26e5419a-b88b-4211-ba0c-7539b40f7c9e

I didn't try to go crazy like 5 piece eldritch or anything, but just stuck to tokens I have myself.

Looks like you can get to +17 to hit and +25 damage fairly easily while staying at 18 str.

Is this game-breaking? I don't believe so. But I am guessing this is where most people's worries about the token lie.


My fighter is pretty disgusting with just an ultra rare weapon, it just depends on what you do.
The topic has been locked.

2020 Ultra Rare Beta Images 7 months 1 week ago #81

I really like the old stats on the Rod of the Meek much better. To me this token is targeted at the player with a hardcore build or normal build as maybe there only UR they own. And it’s not OP due to the limiter on it.
And as others have stated I’m not worried about cheaters, it’s not a competition. The only thing I might worry about cheating on would be TEs, outside of that your just cheating yourself.
The topic has been locked.

2020 Ultra Rare Beta Images 7 months 1 week ago #82

Wayne Rhodes wrote: I really like the old stats on the Rod of the Meek much better. To me this token is targeted at the player with a hardcore build or normal build as maybe there only UR they own. And it’s not OP due to the limiter on it.
And as others have stated I’m not worried about cheaters, it’s not a competition. The only thing I might worry about cheating on would be TEs, outside of that your just cheating yourself.

Well said. I too would like the old rod back.
The topic has been locked.

2020 Ultra Rare Beta Images 7 months 1 week ago #83

  • Xavon
  • Xavon's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 7th Level
  • Supporter
  • Obligation is the sincerest form of insanity
  • Posts: 3155
I like the new 'Monk' ring. I would like it better if it had a UR Shuriken to go with it. Maybe next year?
Applications programming is a race between software engineers, who strive to produce idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, which strives to produce bigger idiots.  <br /><br />So far, the Universe is winning.
The topic has been locked.

2020 Ultra Rare Beta Images 7 months 1 week ago #84

Xavon wrote: I like the new 'Monk' ring. I would like it better if it had a UR Shuriken to go with it. Maybe next year?


Maybe I think a rare next year at least.
The topic has been locked.
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds