Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: RE-PRINT Ideas?

RE-PRINT Ideas? 7 months 1 week ago #241

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Picc wrote:

Mike Steele wrote: I've seen a lot of demand with very low supply for commons Turkey Leg and Polymeric Decoy. Plus gear tokens in general. :)


I get the feeling we may not get another duck (though I would love one). Everytime it's been brought up in recent years we have been told that TPTB are very unlikely to do it due to the volume of complaints from people who dont understand jokes.


Or weren't in on that particular one.

I dont know hownor why, but I completely missed that joke for the firatv41 years of my life. Never complained though.


I understand people not getting the joke (I was late to the party myself), but I don't understand why anyone would complain about a Duck token being made because they didn't get the joke.

It seems I heard something about it causing a problem because people would leave them in rooms for people to find, and that resulted in people damaging sets looking for hidden tokens. If true, maybe that is contributing to no more Duck tokens?
The topic has been locked.

RE-PRINT Ideas? 7 months 1 week ago #242

Mike Steele wrote:

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Picc wrote:

Mike Steele wrote: I've seen a lot of demand with very low supply for commons Turkey Leg and Polymeric Decoy. Plus gear tokens in general. :)


I get the feeling we may not get another duck (though I would love one). Everytime it's been brought up in recent years we have been told that TPTB are very unlikely to do it due to the volume of complaints from people who dont understand jokes.


Or weren't in on that particular one.

I dont know hownor why, but I completely missed that joke for the firatv41 years of my life. Never complained though.


I understand people not getting the joke (I was late to the party myself), but I don't understand why anyone would complain about a Duck token being made because they didn't get the joke.

It seems I heard something about it causing a problem because people would leave them in rooms for people to find, and that resulted in people damaging sets looking for hidden tokens. If true, maybe that is contributing to no more Duck tokens?


Because:

A. It’s immersion breaking in general (imagine totems of some YA fiction you find insipid find their way into the dungeon).

B. The particular memetic content of “duck in a dungeon” leads to a lot of bizarre, concerning behavior in some people who take it too far. If you’re not in on the joke and people in the party are constantly going on about the devastating consequences of touching a duck in the dungeon you think it must be important, because others are treating it with importance. You either conclude that the “rules” of the dungeon are silly and arbitrary, or you conclude that the other party members are making some kind of joke at your expense.

I very much doubt TD got tons of complaints about the use of a portal-like voice actor in some of the rooms. That was a bit immersion breaking, and an in joke for people whove played portal. But it was understandable as a cute, strange, possible gnomish invention without context.

“Duck in a dungeon” is just a complete nonsequiter and nonsense if you’re not in on the joke.
Last edit: by Matthew Hayward.
The topic has been locked.

RE-PRINT Ideas? 7 months 1 week ago #243

Matthew Hayward wrote:

Mike Steele wrote:

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Picc wrote:

Mike Steele wrote: I've seen a lot of demand with very low supply for commons Turkey Leg and Polymeric Decoy. Plus gear tokens in general. :)


I get the feeling we may not get another duck (though I would love one). Everytime it's been brought up in recent years we have been told that TPTB are very unlikely to do it due to the volume of complaints from people who dont understand jokes.


Or weren't in on that particular one.

I dont know hownor why, but I completely missed that joke for the firatv41 years of my life. Never complained though.


I understand people not getting the joke (I was late to the party myself), but I don't understand why anyone would complain about a Duck token being made because they didn't get the joke.

It seems I heard something about it causing a problem because people would leave them in rooms for people to find, and that resulted in people damaging sets looking for hidden tokens. If true, maybe that is contributing to no more Duck tokens?


Because:

A. It’s immersion breaking in general (imagine totems of some YA fiction you find insipid find their way into the dungeon).

B. The particular memetic content of “duck in a dungeon” leads to a lot of bizarre, concerning behavior in some people who take it too far. If you’re not in on the joke and people in the party are constantly going on about the devastating consequences of touching a duck in the dungeon you think it must be important, because others are treating it with importance. You either conclude that the “rules” of the dungeon are silly and arbitrary, or you conclude that the other party members are making some kind of joke at your expense.

I very much doubt TD got tons of complaints about the use of a portal-like voice actor in some of the rooms. That was a bit immersion breaking, and an in joke for people whove played portal. But it was understandable as a cute, strange, possible gnomish invention without context.

“Duck in a dungeon” is just a complete nonsequiter and nonsense if you’re not in on the joke.


On the other hand, couldn't people that would enjoy a Duck token just have fun with it, and others just ignore it? Some tokens aren't made for everyone. :)
The topic has been locked.

RE-PRINT Ideas? 7 months 1 week ago #244

Mike Steele wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote:

Mike Steele wrote:

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Picc wrote:

Mike Steele wrote: I've seen a lot of demand with very low supply for commons Turkey Leg and Polymeric Decoy. Plus gear tokens in general. :)


I get the feeling we may not get another duck (though I would love one). Everytime it's been brought up in recent years we have been told that TPTB are very unlikely to do it due to the volume of complaints from people who dont understand jokes.


Or weren't in on that particular one.

I dont know hownor why, but I completely missed that joke for the firatv41 years of my life. Never complained though.


I understand people not getting the joke (I was late to the party myself), but I don't understand why anyone would complain about a Duck token being made because they didn't get the joke.

It seems I heard something about it causing a problem because people would leave them in rooms for people to find, and that resulted in people damaging sets looking for hidden tokens. If true, maybe that is contributing to no more Duck tokens?


Because:

A. It’s immersion breaking in general (imagine totems of some YA fiction you find insipid find their way into the dungeon).

B. The particular memetic content of “duck in a dungeon” leads to a lot of bizarre, concerning behavior in some people who take it too far. If you’re not in on the joke and people in the party are constantly going on about the devastating consequences of touching a duck in the dungeon you think it must be important, because others are treating it with importance. You either conclude that the “rules” of the dungeon are silly and arbitrary, or you conclude that the other party members are making some kind of joke at your expense.

I very much doubt TD got tons of complaints about the use of a portal-like voice actor in some of the rooms. That was a bit immersion breaking, and an in joke for people whove played portal. But it was understandable as a cute, strange, possible gnomish invention without context.

“Duck in a dungeon” is just a complete nonsequiter and nonsense if you’re not in on the joke.


On the other hand, couldn't people that would enjoy a Duck token just have fun with it, and others just ignore it? Some tokens aren't made for everyone. :)


...um, you are replying to a post that explains why others cant 'just ignore it'. Re-read point B above.
this is not a signature.
The topic has been locked.

RE-PRINT Ideas? 7 months 1 week ago #245

  • Picc
  • Picc's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Remember when we were explorers?
  • Posts: 5760

Matthew Hayward wrote: I very much doubt TD got tons of complaints about the use of a portal-like voice actor in some of the rooms. That was a bit immersion breaking, and an in joke for people whove played portal. But it was understandable as a cute, strange, possible gnomish invention without context.


The use of that voice gave me ridiculously huge amount of joy.
Semper Gumby, Always flexible.

Sartre sits in in a coffee shop and asks for a coffee without cream. The barista apologizes “Sorry, we don't have any cream. Can I offer you a coffee without milk instead?”
The topic has been locked.

RE-PRINT Ideas? 7 months 1 week ago #246

kurtreznor wrote:

Mike Steele wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote:

Mike Steele wrote:

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Picc wrote:

Mike Steele wrote: I've seen a lot of demand with very low supply for commons Turkey Leg and Polymeric Decoy. Plus gear tokens in general. :)


I get the feeling we may not get another duck (though I would love one). Everytime it's been brought up in recent years we have been told that TPTB are very unlikely to do it due to the volume of complaints from people who dont understand jokes.


Or weren't in on that particular one.

I dont know hownor why, but I completely missed that joke for the firatv41 years of my life. Never complained though.


I understand people not getting the joke (I was late to the party myself), but I don't understand why anyone would complain about a Duck token being made because they didn't get the joke.

It seems I heard something about it causing a problem because people would leave them in rooms for people to find, and that resulted in people damaging sets looking for hidden tokens. If true, maybe that is contributing to no more Duck tokens?


Because:

A. It’s immersion breaking in general (imagine totems of some YA fiction you find insipid find their way into the dungeon).

B. The particular memetic content of “duck in a dungeon” leads to a lot of bizarre, concerning behavior in some people who take it too far. If you’re not in on the joke and people in the party are constantly going on about the devastating consequences of touching a duck in the dungeon you think it must be important, because others are treating it with importance. You either conclude that the “rules” of the dungeon are silly and arbitrary, or you conclude that the other party members are making some kind of joke at your expense.

I very much doubt TD got tons of complaints about the use of a portal-like voice actor in some of the rooms. That was a bit immersion breaking, and an in joke for people whove played portal. But it was understandable as a cute, strange, possible gnomish invention without context.

“Duck in a dungeon” is just a complete nonsequiter and nonsense if you’re not in on the joke.


On the other hand, couldn't people that would enjoy a Duck token just have fun with it, and others just ignore it? Some tokens aren't made for everyone. :)


...um, you are replying to a post that explains why others cant 'just ignore it'. Re-read point B above.


I read it but don't necessarily agree with it. I think it can be fun without being traumatic. I'd hope people reacting to a Duck would let others in on the joke.
The topic has been locked.

RE-PRINT Ideas? 7 months 1 week ago #247

Maybe this is off topic, but what’s the joke with a duck in a Dungeon? I do like ducks and would like to see them reprinted, and am apparently unaware of their full meaning.
--
macXdmg
Monk of the Painda Order
The topic has been locked.

RE-PRINT Ideas? 7 months 1 week ago #248

macXdmg wrote: Maybe this is off topic, but what’s the joke with a duck in a Dungeon? I do like ducks and would like to see them reprinted, and am apparently unaware of their full meaning.


It's a card in the Munchkin game by Steve Jackson, with some thematic explanations of historic D&D scenarios:

boardgames.stackexchange.com/questions/23228/whats-behind-the-duck-of-doom-card
The topic has been locked.

RE-PRINT Ideas? 7 months 1 week ago #249

As a player i liked the duck in the dungeon. It was something that amused a fair few of us vets who would run multiple times and leave these behind to carry the joke forward.

As a DM/Coach it hurts to say but i must agree it ran it's course as people were damaging sets and not realizing that the duck was basically a joke and not actually part of the main dungeon.

I wouldn't mind something like it come back around but can fully understand why not.
We're all the kind of people who enjoy the game on a "meta" level. We like talking about the game year-round. We buy tokens. We enjoy crafting. We get together during the off-season if we can. We are a very skewed demographic that way. -Raven
The topic has been locked.

RE-PRINT Ideas? 7 months 1 week ago #250

They could just reprint a new duck token on a higher gold piece token amount. Somewhere around 300 gp value so people would be much less likely to want to leave them in the dungeon.
Fall down......Go boom!
The topic has been locked.

RE-PRINT Ideas? 6 months 3 weeks ago #251

I'm not sure if I listed it earlier, but it does seem like Gauntlets of Linked Fury is due for a reprint, demand is WAY higher than supply. I'd like to see either this or Mithral Gauntlets reprinted this year. :)
The topic has been locked.

RE-PRINT Ideas? 6 months 2 weeks ago #252

Aegoce wrote: Agree on the shuriken idea, really any type shuriken at the rare level. It looks like it will have been 6 years since any shuriken when this set comes out, and they're just generally an interesting/cool weapon.


I like them because they're thematic.
+1
Please visit my fledgling token store.
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=583&id=247486
The topic has been locked.
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds