Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Transmute Ideas Please!

Transmute Ideas Please! 1 year 3 months ago #445

Wade Schwendemann wrote: I suppose the way I look at it is that there is something inherent in the type of person who tries to use that figurine that allows them to unlock it's magic, rather than a simple command word or something like that.

In a practical manner, it's a way of keeping some powers and abilities unique to certain classes.

Ultimately I see your argument, I just disagree.


+1. I'm also in favor of keeping powers/abilities unique to certain classes.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - Albert Einstein
The topic has been locked.

Transmute Ideas Please! 1 year 3 months ago #446

  • Xavon
  • Xavon's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 7th Level
  • Supporter
  • Obligation is the sincerest form of insanity
  • Posts: 3155
Thinking about the discussion in the rare thread, how about something like this:

Ring of Channeled Thunder
+2 pts of Shock damage with spells

Necklace of Focused Flames
+2 pts of Fire damage with melee attacks

Emblazoned Chains
+2 pts of Fire and +2 pts of Shock damage to melee/ranged/spells. Uses neck slot and one ring slot.

The recipe would be the two rares plus a handful of other stuff.
Applications programming is a race between software engineers, who strive to produce idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, which strives to produce bigger idiots.  <br /><br />So far, the Universe is winning.
The topic has been locked.

Transmute Ideas Please! 1 year 3 months ago #447

  • Picc
  • Picc's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Remember when we were explorers?
  • Posts: 5871
This is going to sound strange but to me the proposed res FOP sounds like a druid item. Probably a hang over from warcraft and the druids battle res ability.
Semper Gumby, Always flexible.

Sartre sits in in a coffee shop and asks for a coffee without cream. The barista apologizes “Sorry, we don't have any cream. Can I offer you a coffee without milk instead?”
The topic has been locked.

Transmute Ideas Please! 1 year 3 months ago #448

Picc wrote: This is going to sound strange but to me the proposed res FOP sounds like a druid item. Probably a hang over from warcraft and the druids battle res ability.


Totes makes sense, that’s why I listed them second “Cleric, Druid, Bard, Ranger, Paladin”
--
macXdmg
Monk of the Painda Order
Bard of the College of Sick Beats
The topic has been locked.

Transmute Ideas Please! 1 year 3 months ago #449

Xavon wrote: Thinking about the discussion in the rare thread, how about something like this:

Ring of Channeled Thunder
+2 pts of Shock damage with spells


For most purposes, that is effectively a +2 Focus item that only affects offensive spells. Probably too powerful for a Rare, where we've mostly had +1 Focus items. Side thought: whenever we add typed damage to spells it is a little odd (my opinion), since the party card doesn't actually track bonus damage types for spells as a separate thing.

Xavon wrote: Necklace of Focused Flames
+2 pts of Fire damage with melee attacks


That part seems perfectly reasonable.

Xavon wrote: Emblazoned Chains
+2 pts of Fire and +2 pts of Shock damage to melee/ranged/spells. Uses neck slot and one ring slot.

The recipe would be the two rares plus a handful of other stuff.


It sounds like you're intending this as a 4-pt Exalted transmute? You're taking up two of the more powerful slots, but giving a bonus that is just shy of the Boots of the Four Winds. Now, the BoT4W is Eldritch, so you aren't going to run across something that can resist the damage added by the Boots. But we also haven't seen anything vulnerable to Eldritch (and I think we have occasionally seen things vulnerable to other energy types?) Alternative comparison: you're giving double the bonus of Draco-Lich Claw Charm (a Relic).

Yes, you're taking up two powerful slots, but it still feels a bit on the strong side. I'd probably change the ring to a functional reprint of the Ring of Focus (moving the reprint down to the Rare level), swap the necklace over to shock instead of fire (shock is less likely to be resisted) and change the Exalted to +3 total bonus (shock).
Last edit: by Fiddy.
The topic has been locked.

Transmute Ideas Please! 1 year 3 months ago #450

  • Picc
  • Picc's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Remember when we were explorers?
  • Posts: 5871
I would be very down for a ring of focus type item at the rare level. Maybe break it out into healing or damage if there is concern about the original rings power level.
Semper Gumby, Always flexible.

Sartre sits in in a coffee shop and asks for a coffee without cream. The barista apologizes “Sorry, we don't have any cream. Can I offer you a coffee without milk instead?”
The topic has been locked.

Transmute Ideas Please! 1 year 3 months ago #451

Picc wrote: I would be very down for a ring of focus type item at the rare level. Maybe break it out into healing or damage if there is concern about the original rings power level.


What about each one as a rare, and both as a 4 star transmute?
First ever death in True Horde
"Well, with you guarding 2 players, that means you take 90. Are you dead?"
-Incognito

My token shop/trade thread: Wade's Wide World of Wonder 

My Current Paladin Build 
The topic has been locked.

Transmute Ideas Please! 1 year 3 months ago #452

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Picc wrote: I would be very down for a ring of focus type item at the rare level. Maybe break it out into healing or damage if there is concern about the original rings power level.


What about each one as a rare, and both as a 4 star transmute?

I like it
The topic has been locked.

Transmute Ideas Please! 1 year 3 months ago #453

  • Picc
  • Picc's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Remember when we were explorers?
  • Posts: 5871

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Picc wrote: I would be very down for a ring of focus type item at the rare level. Maybe break it out into healing or damage if there is concern about the original rings power level.


What about each one as a rare, and both as a 4 star transmute?


I think it's fine from a power level point of view. I'd be a little leery of the 4 star transmute because Its so close to the UR ring of focus and 4 stars are typically between rare and UR, but ring of focus is generally considered to be one of the weaker focus items. Over all its probably fine, but I might put some kind of restrictions on it, like no stacking the 4 star and one of it's rare components at the same time for example. That all said it's been a while since ring of focus was in print and its kind of considered mandatory for most serious caster builds so we'll probably have to reprint some version of it eventually. Might as well go for it sooner then later since it keeps getting suggested year over year.
Semper Gumby, Always flexible.

Sartre sits in in a coffee shop and asks for a coffee without cream. The barista apologizes “Sorry, we don't have any cream. Can I offer you a coffee without milk instead?”
The topic has been locked.

Transmute Ideas Please! 1 year 3 months ago #454

  • Xavon
  • Xavon's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 7th Level
  • Supporter
  • Obligation is the sincerest form of insanity
  • Posts: 3155

Fiddy wrote:

Xavon wrote: Thinking about the discussion in the rare thread, how about something like this:

Ring of Channeled Thunder
+2 pts of Shock damage with spells


For most purposes, that is effectively a +2 Focus item that only affects offensive spells. Probably too powerful for a Rare, where we've mostly had +1 Focus items. Side thought: whenever we add typed damage to spells it is a little odd (my opinion), since the party card doesn't actually track bonus damage types for spells as a separate thing.

Xavon wrote: Necklace of Focused Flames
+2 pts of Fire damage with melee attacks


That part seems perfectly reasonable.

Xavon wrote: Emblazoned Chains
+2 pts of Fire and +2 pts of Shock damage to melee/ranged/spells. Uses neck slot and one ring slot.

The recipe would be the two rares plus a handful of other stuff.


It sounds like you're intending this as a 4-pt Exalted transmute? You're taking up two of the more powerful slots, but giving a bonus that is just shy of the Boots of the Four Winds. Now, the BoT4W is Eldritch, so you aren't going to run across something that can resist the damage added by the Boots. But we also haven't seen anything vulnerable to Eldritch (and I think we have occasionally seen things vulnerable to other energy types?) Alternative comparison: you're giving double the bonus of Draco-Lich Claw Charm (a Relic).

Yes, you're taking up two powerful slots, but it still feels a bit on the strong side. I'd probably change the ring to a functional reprint of the Ring of Focus (moving the reprint down to the Rare level), swap the necklace over to shock instead of fire (shock is less likely to be resisted) and change the Exalted to +3 total bonus (shock).


Where would you say Glove slots compare to Ring or Neck?
Applications programming is a race between software engineers, who strive to produce idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, which strives to produce bigger idiots.  <br /><br />So far, the Universe is winning.
The topic has been locked.

Transmute Ideas Please! 1 year 3 months ago #455

Picc wrote:

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Picc wrote: I would be very down for a ring of focus type item at the rare level. Maybe break it out into healing or damage if there is concern about the original rings power level.


What about each one as a rare, and both as a 4 star transmute?


I think it's fine from a power level point of view. I'd be a little leery of the 4 star transmute because Its so close to the UR ring of focus and 4 stars are typically between rare and UR, but ring of focus is generally considered to be one of the weaker focus items. Over all its probably fine, but I might put some kind of restrictions on it, like no stacking the 4 star and one of it's rare components at the same time for example. That all said it's been a while since ring of focus was in print and its kind of considered mandatory for most serious caster builds so we'll probably have to reprint some version of it eventually. Might as well go for it sooner then later since it keeps getting suggested year over year.


How about a Ring of Focus reprint with a transmute combo of Ring of Stone Cold Concentration for +3 cold damage for spells.?
One of the transmute ingredients would be Ring of the Yeti as well as all the rest of the normal trade tokens
Please visit my fledgling token store.
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=583&id=247486
The topic has been locked.

Transmute Ideas Please! 1 year 3 months ago #456

Xavon wrote:

Fiddy wrote:

Xavon wrote: Thinking about the discussion in the rare thread, how about something like this:

Ring of Channeled Thunder
+2 pts of Shock damage with spells


For most purposes, that is effectively a +2 Focus item that only affects offensive spells. Probably too powerful for a Rare, where we've mostly had +1 Focus items. Side thought: whenever we add typed damage to spells it is a little odd (my opinion), since the party card doesn't actually track bonus damage types for spells as a separate thing.

Xavon wrote: Necklace of Focused Flames
+2 pts of Fire damage with melee attacks


That part seems perfectly reasonable.

Xavon wrote: Emblazoned Chains
+2 pts of Fire and +2 pts of Shock damage to melee/ranged/spells. Uses neck slot and one ring slot.

The recipe would be the two rares plus a handful of other stuff.


It sounds like you're intending this as a 4-pt Exalted transmute? You're taking up two of the more powerful slots, but giving a bonus that is just shy of the Boots of the Four Winds. Now, the BoT4W is Eldritch, so you aren't going to run across something that can resist the damage added by the Boots. But we also haven't seen anything vulnerable to Eldritch (and I think we have occasionally seen things vulnerable to other energy types?) Alternative comparison: you're giving double the bonus of Draco-Lich Claw Charm (a Relic).

Yes, you're taking up two powerful slots, but it still feels a bit on the strong side. I'd probably change the ring to a functional reprint of the Ring of Focus (moving the reprint down to the Rare level), swap the necklace over to shock instead of fire (shock is less likely to be resisted) and change the Exalted to +3 total bonus (shock).


Where would you say Glove slots compare to Ring or Neck?


I think it's comparable. Gloves provide the best STR bonuses in the game at UR, and STR is the most desirable commodity in the game behind treasure.

That being said, it might be nice if not all slots were "good" for all builds. For example, we could say: Gloves are primarily a melee/str slot. Earcuffs are primarily a spell slot.

One problem with this approach is melee boosters show up almost everywhere already.
The topic has been locked.
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds