Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Unfortunate Token Predator News

Unfortunate Token Predator News 2 years 5 months ago #61

True hero of time (THOT) wrote: There is a simple (and painful) solution to all of our woes.

Everyone should obey the rules of the convention, and I feel that it is the responsibility of True Dungeon Adventures to STEP UP. The Con loses money and the state loses money on the unpermitted transactions that are happening on the premises.

An excerpt from Gencon:

"Absolutely no selling, soliciting, or handbill distribution is allowed outside of rented booth spaces...


All this would do is shut down the more legitimate token dealers and then the newbies will even be more likely to fall for the scammers, or even a booth in the vendor hall, offering really low prices.

Additionally, this is the third year that GenCon won't take my money to be an official vendor. My only option is to get on a waiting list for a booth in the vendor hall. They won't let any token selling happen near the dungeon, even though they have moved it so far from the vendor hall. As a result I have never done any significant business during GenCon (just on Wednesday).

If GenCon would allow official token vendors in or near the storyscape, or would allow Jeff to set that up, then I agree. But until then, the best way to keep newbies from getting screwed is giving them more legitimate buyers, sellers, and trader, not fewer.
My online token shop: www.tdtavern.com

We buy, sell, and trade True Dungeon tokens. We also have a convenient consignment program where you can sell your own tokens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unfortunate Token Predator News 2 years 5 months ago #62

I was hoping that the statement about sharing booths would apply to the various TD stores.

Does TD's spot not count as a booth?
"Nice guys finish last but at least they finish"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unfortunate Token Predator News 2 years 5 months ago #63

Hawk Fingle wrote:

lazlo_hollyfeld1985 wrote: One thing we need to change is how 2ndary tokens are bought.
Newbie" I pulled this CoA,what's it worth"
Vet " it's worth about 1200-1500$, I will offer you $800"
What we as vets need to say is the above with added line someone else might offer you more ...you can check around.


Totally agree. And those who are trustworthy will always mention that they might get better offers somewhere else. Getting that starting number followed with engaging the secondary token dealers and traders is how they will learn more about how niche the TD token is and who will treat you fairly.


I disagree completely. Chad heard my arguments on this but I think this sort of thing is bullshit because of the lack of knowledge involved. What the vet is saying ISN'T what the newbie is understanding, because of what is an intentional obfuscation. If there are actually some of you out there who think the above is legit, then why not just rephrase it? Oh, well if you ask just about anyone else, they'd probably give you $1200 but I'll give you $800. Or better yet,: There's almost not one who wouldn't give you $900 because they could flip it for a thousand instantly, but I'll give you $800 for it.

Hell, if you can say that then make whatever deals you can. Doing it the other way is bullshit because people will assume you're talking about other products which have a set MSRP'esque quality to what they're supposedly worth, but a far lower value for what they're often exchanged for. Take boardgames. It's well understood that while there's a MSRP set price, you usually get a 30-35% discount at any online store and around 20% at local game stores.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



I'm like a ray of sunshine. Cancerous.

Henwy's LiveJournal

Don't make me maul you with my fearsome gonads

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unfortunate Token Predator News 2 years 5 months ago #64

JACKOFTRADZE wrote:

Mongo wrote: I really dislike this type of behavior!

For Origins i followed the rules about lending CoA's... every run my party had full treasure.

I didn't even stick around for the epilogue room nor treasure pulls.. except my last run on Saturday night I saw what a family of first timers pulled... the daughter pulled a UR of Mail of Redoubt! Since I lent them my CoA's and Ioun Stone Silver Nugget she pulled 18 instead of three... she said she felt she should offer the UR to me... which I of course refused saying she should use it at the next True Dungeon event herself!

I explained that by her borrowing my CoA's I already was "paid" by getting two extra pulls myself...


Seriously, you are always one of the most, if not, thee most generous players in TD. It's players like you that will always outshine the few greedy Token Trolls.


Mongo is an absolute beast. Kept watching him whirl through the epilogue room like it was a revolving door. _12_ freaking runs and most of them back to back. He'd steam through the place like a whirlwind since he always had yet another run back to back to back. Never even stopped so much as to let the other people thank him for the treasure boost. I'm not even sure that they all realized just how much more they were getting than would be 'normal'.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.



I'm like a ray of sunshine. Cancerous.

Henwy's LiveJournal

Don't make me maul you with my fearsome gonads

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unfortunate Token Predator News 2 years 5 months ago #65

henwy wrote:

Hawk Fingle wrote:

lazlo_hollyfeld1985 wrote: One thing we need to change is how 2ndary tokens are bought.
Newbie" I pulled this CoA,what's it worth"
Vet " it's worth about 1200-1500$, I will offer you $800"
What we as vets need to say is the above with added line someone else might offer you more ...you can check around.


Totally agree. And those who are trustworthy will always mention that they might get better offers somewhere else. Getting that starting number followed with engaging the secondary token dealers and traders is how they will learn more about how niche the TD token is and who will treat you fairly.


I disagree completely. Chad heard my arguments on this but I think this sort of thing is bullshit because of the lack of knowledge involved. What the vet is saying ISN'T what the newbie is understanding, because of what is an intentional obfuscation. If there are actually some of you out there who think the above is legit, then why not just rephrase it? Oh, well if you ask just about anyone else, they'd probably give you $1200 but I'll give you $800. Or better yet,: There's almost not one who wouldn't give you $900 because they could flip it for a thousand instantly, but I'll give you $800 for it.

Hell, if you can say that then make whatever deals you can. Doing it the other way is bullshit because people will assume you're talking about other products which have a set MSRP'esque quality to what they're supposedly worth, but a far lower value for what they're often exchanged for. Take boardgames. It's well understood that while there's a MSRP set price, you usually get a 30-35% discount at any online store and around 20% at local game stores.

that is why I wrote check around. So then they could, then come back if that offer was the best. Maybe it still needs better wording. I agreed with you, I just didnt word it correctly
delpchad.blogspot.com/

First solo Nightmare survivor-2014 Viper pit

Allergic to Lori

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by lazlo_hollyfeld1985.

Unfortunate Token Predator News 2 years 5 months ago #66

True hero of time (THOT) wrote: I was hoping that the statement about sharing booths would apply to the various TD stores.

Does TD's spot not count as a booth?


Ahh, I misunderstood your thought process there.

My understanding is that True Adventures has had a special exemption to this rule for a long time but he isn't allowed to share or sublet.

This year I specifically brought up the anime tables that were officially doing sales right close to the TD area but they told me that was a one time thing and they aren't doing that again. We'll see.
My online token shop: www.tdtavern.com

We buy, sell, and trade True Dungeon tokens. We also have a convenient consignment program where you can sell your own tokens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unfortunate Token Predator News 2 years 5 months ago #67

lazlo_hollyfeld1985 wrote:

JACKOFTRADZE wrote:

Mongo wrote: I really dislike this type of behavior!

For Origins i followed the rules about lending CoA's... every run my party had full treasure.

I didn't even stick around for the epilogue room nor treasure pulls.. except my last run on Saturday night I saw what a family of first timers pulled... the daughter pulled a UR of Mail of Redoubt! Since I lent them my CoA's and Ioun Stone Silver Nugget she pulled 18 instead of three... she said she felt she should offer the UR to me... which I of course refused saying she should use it at the next True Dungeon event herself!

I explained that by her borrowing my CoA's I already was "paid" by getting two extra pulls myself...


Seriously, you are always one of the most, if not, thee most generous players in TD. It's players like you that will always outshine the few greedy Token Trolls.

agreed.
Can we make a token troll plushie for sale?


I used to work in the toy industry so I know how to source and manufacture something like this.

Seriously, "Know your Token" posters would go a long way posted in the treasure pull areas. Everyone usually stands around for at least 5-10 minutes so it would give them something to read and be an instant alert to educate what they might pull.
"The Dreams of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity."

Boom goes the Devil Drake when this Rogue slides a 20 with a Holy Hand Grenade.

My Rogue Build: truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=569&id=244107&limitstart=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unfortunate Token Predator News 2 years 5 months ago #68

  • Harlax
  • Harlax's Avatar
  • Away
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Baruk Khazad!
  • Posts: 6812

Kirk Bauer wrote:

True hero of time (THOT) wrote: I was hoping that the statement about sharing booths would apply to the various TD stores.

Does TD's spot not count as a booth?


Ahh, I misunderstood your thought process there.

My understanding is that True Adventures has had a special exemption to this rule for a long time but he isn't allowed to share or sublet.

This year I specifically brought up the anime tables that were officially doing sales right close to the TD area but they told me that was a one time thing and they aren't doing that again. We'll see.


And I'm sure nothing contrary to that policy happens in the Magic card area... :whistle:
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unfortunate Token Predator News 2 years 5 months ago #69

Harlax wrote:

Kirk Bauer wrote:

True hero of time (THOT) wrote: I was hoping that the statement about sharing booths would apply to the various TD stores.

Does TD's spot not count as a booth?


Ahh, I misunderstood your thought process there.

My understanding is that True Adventures has had a special exemption to this rule for a long time but he isn't allowed to share or sublet.

This year I specifically brought up the anime tables that were officially doing sales right close to the TD area but they told me that was a one time thing and they aren't doing that again. We'll see.


And I'm sure nothing contrary to that policy happens in the Magic card area... :whistle:


Because someone else breaks the rules isn't justification to do so yourself.

If you want to break them because you think they are stupid or unfair or whatever, that's on you.

For the record, I used to play competitive Magic, and I have seen people removed for selling cards and packs at GC.
First ever death in True Horde
"Well, with you guarding 2 players, that means you take 90. Are you dead?"
-Incognito

My token shop/trade thread: Wade's Wide World of Wonder 

My Current Paladin Build 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unfortunate Token Predator News 2 years 5 months ago #70

maybe a "trusted token consultant" badge or pin could be put out to the people in the community we know we can trust so people can ask for advice.
*mental note* always listen to Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unfortunate Token Predator News 2 years 5 months ago #71

  • Picc
  • Picc's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Remember when we were explorers?
  • Posts: 5761

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Harlax wrote:

Kirk Bauer wrote:

True hero of time (THOT) wrote: I was hoping that the statement about sharing booths would apply to the various TD stores.

Does TD's spot not count as a booth?


Ahh, I misunderstood your thought process there.

My understanding is that True Adventures has had a special exemption to this rule for a long time but he isn't allowed to share or sublet.

This year I specifically brought up the anime tables that were officially doing sales right close to the TD area but they told me that was a one time thing and they aren't doing that again. We'll see.


And I'm sure nothing contrary to that policy happens in the Magic card area... :whistle:


Because someone else breaks the rules isn't justification to do so yourself.

If you want to break them because you think they are stupid or unfair or whatever, that's on you.

For the record, I used to play competitive Magic, and I have seen people removed for selling cards and packs at GC.


I walked outside "for a smoke" the last time I made a significant mtg trade at gencon. I have never smoked in my life.
Semper Gumby, Always flexible.

Sartre sits in in a coffee shop and asks for a coffee without cream. The barista apologizes “Sorry, we don't have any cream. Can I offer you a coffee without milk instead?”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unfortunate Token Predator News 2 years 5 months ago #72

  • jedibcg
  • jedibcg's Avatar
  • Away
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • What is personal text?
  • Posts: 7937
I have a minor issue with a poster with prices. I don't think Jeff wants to be in the business of set secondary market prices. A poster of explaining the rarity and saying get a second and/or third opinion I think would be better than saying this rarity is worth X dollars.

If it said something like URs are generally valued at 100. Then someone getting a pixie figurine snd being offered 50 is going to think they are being ripped off. Where if you want to buy a pixie for 90 please pm me. :)
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds