Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: GenCon 4-day badges are sold out

GenCon 4-day badges are sold out 6 years 10 months ago #13

Harlax wrote:

Steve wrote:

Mike Steele wrote:

Graven wrote:

Mike Steele wrote: I'm very interested to find out what that sell-out number for badges was.


Me too.


I'm also wondering if they'll ever expand it to 5 days. There is just so much to see. Plus is would give us another days worth of TD slots (in theory) .


My group has already expanded to six days. :)


Yeah .. we show up on Tuesday too .. but there is a lot of Arcanum stuff that goes on Wed.

I'm wondering when Peter will move GC to Chicago. It has outgrown Indy .. it outgrew Indy 2-3 years ago.


So that everyone can have the thrill of not being in a hotel within walking distance.


The IMTS show in Chicago had 155k last year vs GenCon's 65k.. But I don't know what the hotel situation is like for that.

I like it in Indy, but I wouldn't mind Chicago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 4-day badges are sold out 6 years 10 months ago #14

Harlax wrote: Que the "GenCon is getting too big discussion" in 3. 2. 1...


Ah hell, lets just do this.

Gencon needs to move to Chicago.

No Chicago has no hotels near by, lets move it to Reno

Reno, not kid friendly, lets move it to Austin.

Austin! Too hot, lets move it to New York.

Are you nuts! New York cost too much Gencon needs to move to Chicago.

No Chicago has no hotels near by, lets move it to Reno

Reno, not kid friendly, lets move it to Austin.

Austin! Too hot, lets move it to New York.

Are you nuts! New York cost too much Gencon needs to move to Chicago.

No Chicago has no hotels near by, lets move it to Reno

Reno, not kid friendly, lets move it to Austin.

Austin! Too hot, lets move it to New York.

Are you nuts! New York cost too much Gencon needs to move to Chicago.

No Chicago has no hotels near by, lets move it to Reno

Reno, not kid friendly, lets move it to Austin.

Austin! Too hot, lets move it to New York.

Are you nuts! New York cost too much.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 4-day badges are sold out 6 years 10 months ago #15

Rebeg wrote:

Harlax wrote: Que the "GenCon is getting too big discussion" in 3. 2. 1...


Ah hell, lets just do this.

Gencon needs to move to Chicago.

No Chicago has no hotels near by, lets move it to Reno

Reno, not kid friendly, lets move it to Austin.

Austin! Too hot, lets move it to New York.

Are you nuts! New York cost too much Gencon needs to move to Chicago.

No Chicago has no hotels near by, lets move it to Reno

Reno, not kid friendly, lets move it to Austin.

Austin! Too hot, lets move it to New York.

Are you nuts! New York cost too much Gencon needs to move to Chicago.

No Chicago has no hotels near by, lets move it to Reno

Reno, not kid friendly, lets move it to Austin.

Austin! Too hot, lets move it to New York.

Are you nuts! New York cost too much Gencon needs to move to Chicago.

No Chicago has no hotels near by, lets move it to Reno

Reno, not kid friendly, lets move it to Austin.

Austin! Too hot, lets move it to New York.

Are you nuts! New York cost too much.......


Gencon needs to move to Chicago. :silly: :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 4-day badges are sold out 6 years 10 months ago #16

jacob717 wrote:

Rebeg wrote:

Harlax wrote: Que the "GenCon is getting too big discussion" in 3. 2. 1...


Ah hell, lets just do this.

Gencon needs to move to Chicago.

No Chicago has no hotels near by, lets move it to Reno

Reno, not kid friendly, lets move it to Austin.

Austin! Too hot, lets move it to New York.

Are you nuts! New York cost too much Gencon needs to move to Chicago.

No Chicago has no hotels near by, lets move it to Reno

Reno, not kid friendly, lets move it to Austin.

Austin! Too hot, lets move it to New York.

Are you nuts! New York cost too much Gencon needs to move to Chicago.

No Chicago has no hotels near by, lets move it to Reno

Reno, not kid friendly, lets move it to Austin.

Austin! Too hot, lets move it to New York.

Are you nuts! New York cost too much Gencon needs to move to Chicago.

No Chicago has no hotels near by, lets move it to Reno

Reno, not kid friendly, lets move it to Austin.

Austin! Too hot, lets move it to New York.

Are you nuts! New York cost too much.......


Gencon needs to move to Chicago. :silly: :P


Having attended two large national conventions at McCormick Place, I can tell you that you will spend a lot of time on a bus getting to and from your hotel.
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 4-day badges are sold out 6 years 10 months ago #17

Steve wrote:

Mike Steele wrote:

Graven wrote:

Mike Steele wrote: I'm very interested to find out what that sell-out number for badges was.


Me too.


I'm also wondering if they'll ever expand it to 5 days. There is just so much to see. Plus is would give us another days worth of TD slots (in theory) .


My group has already expanded to six days. :)


Yeah .. we show up on Tuesday too .. but there is a lot of Arcanum stuff that goes on Wed.

I'm wondering when Peter will move GC to Chicago. It has outgrown Indy .. it outgrew Indy 2-3 years ago.

Sorry but it hasn't. Indy host much bigger events than Gen Con. Now you can say it has out grown downtown Indy I would agree. But as pointed out there are not a lot of cities (there are some) the have as many rooms within walking distance to a convention center.
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 4-day badges are sold out 6 years 10 months ago #18

Harlax wrote:

jacob717 wrote:

Rebeg wrote:

Harlax wrote: Que the "GenCon is getting too big discussion" in 3. 2. 1...


Are you nuts! New York cost too much.......


Gencon needs to move to Chicago. :silly: :P


Having attended two large national conventions at McCormick Place, I can tell you that you will spend a lot of time on a bus getting to and from your hotel.


I'm in the camp of keeping it in Indy for sure. Besides being Indy being closer to me than any other similarly sized city that could possibly handle gencon I doubt any other cities would embrace the con as much as Indy currently does with all the local restaurants doing themed menus and events.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 4-day badges are sold out 6 years 10 months ago #19

  • bpsymington
  • bpsymington's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 11th Level
  • Supporter
  • Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer
  • Posts: 15950
I say move it to LA.
Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer

Awesome avatar by Mauve Shirt!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 4-day badges are sold out 6 years 10 months ago #20

bpsymington wrote: I say move it to LA.

Anaheim had a chance, it didn't work well.
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 4-day badges are sold out 6 years 10 months ago #21

My $0.02:

For people wanting to draw comparisons to other conventions, keep in mind that your average convention has much shorter days than the days at GenCon. I suspect that is a large part of why people want to stay at hotels nearby (heck, it is why I started getting a hotel for GenCon despite living a little over a half hour from the convention center).

At business conventions I've been to, you see everyone leave as soon as the exhibit hall wraps up. So staying at a hotel that is a ways away doesn't matter so much, you've got plenty of time.

I'd suggest that if you want to say "this city could totally handle GenCon" that you look not just at the size of conventions it hosts, but whether any of them have extreme long days that people spend at the convention itself. I'm sure there are some out there. I'd suspect gaming conventions aren't unique in that aspect, but they might be.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 4-day badges are sold out 6 years 10 months ago #22

Fiddy wrote: My $0.02:

For people wanting to draw comparisons to other conventions, keep in mind that your average convention has much shorter days than the days at GenCon. I suspect that is a large part of why people want to stay at hotels nearby (heck, it is why I started getting a hotel for GenCon despite living a little over a half hour from the convention center).
.


Fiddy has the gist of it. I have been going to Gencon since 1988. I have been to more cons than I can remember, both personal and professional.

Gencon is different than them all. It is the only con that essentially is 24 hours a day. With constant coming and going. That is why staying close is super important. that adds a dynamic that is difficult to quantify in square feet and number of rooms.

Personally I am ok with staying in Indy. I do not think a unqualified better option exists. imho it is time for Gencon to explore other options. Maybe add some days? Consider a second con (again). Hey its a different geek landscape these days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GenCon 4-day badges are sold out 6 years 10 months ago #23

Indianapolis is one of a small number of cities with around 1/2 the population of the country within a one day drive.

Chicago is not central enough in that regard - it would knock a huge amount of the east coast out of one day drive radius without adding much new population.

My family is in Wheaton so personally it would be convenient.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Matthew Hayward.

GenCon 4-day badges are sold out 6 years 10 months ago #24

Milwaukee!

When the Bucks finish their new arena and the surrounding entertainment district is built out.

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he? :whistle:
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Harlax.
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds