Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Proxy Tokens and DMs

Proxy Tokens and DMs 4 years 2 months ago #25

Lordoftherealm wrote: What happens if you slider was given to you in training and returned in storyscape?


I don't know about anyone else, but I absolutely do not need an extra thing to juggle and keep track of through the dungeon. On my Thursday run I manage to leave my bag or something else in nearly every room as it was.
~Meta: Don't worry, it is perfectly "safe" to follow the drunken dwarf into the dungeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proxy Tokens and DMs 4 years 2 months ago #26

binia wrote:

Lordoftherealm wrote: What happens if you slider was given to you in training and returned in storyscape?


He'd have to purchase an exponentially greater number of sliders, approximately equal to the number of lights he has. Plus plan for huge theftage.


It's not as bad as all that, is it?

In a combat dungeon with 5 rooms, they need 6 sets of slides (1 for the training room, and 5 for the combat rooms).

In this scenario there would need to be 9 sets (1 for the training room, 1 for each room, and a spare set during the idle time to get the set from the epilogue room back to the training room.

I don't see why anyone would be more likely to walk out of the epilogue room with a slider than pocket it anywhere else today. You don't get your completion badge/XP card/treasure until you hand in your slider?

Anyway - I don't think carrying your own slider would change anything about whether people care to use proxies or not.

People who use (legitimately) proxies are afraid they are going to lose a valuable token - I don't see how them carrying a puck would make them so confident that they won't lose a valuable token that they'd stop using proxies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proxy Tokens and DMs 4 years 2 months ago #27

Magnetic puck...

Owning your own magnetic puck you do not have to worry about leaving your weapon in the puck when you exit the room.

Magnetic puck was hard as hell to knock out a token.

Just a couple of benefits of having your own puck. Especially if it is magnetic.
Team Legacy
Yes I'm an Arneson you do the math.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proxy Tokens and DMs 4 years 2 months ago #28

Kaledor wrote: Magnetic puck...

Owning your own magnetic puck you do not have to worry about leaving your weapon in the puck when you exit the room.

Magnetic puck was hard as hell to knock out a token.

Just a couple of benefits of having your own puck. Especially if it is magnetic.


I am not against players owning their own pucks, but there could be reasons Jeff and Co doesn't want to do this. Off the top of my head alterations of pucks could be done by players. I don't own a puck so I cannot say if adding or subtracting weight to the puck would be advantageous for a player, but it definitely is possible. Changing the felt on the bottom could provide advantages.
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proxy Tokens and DMs 4 years 2 months ago #29

Current pucks can be easily retofitted with magnets. My home made version have the magnet in the felt slider on the bottom of the puck. They hold the token in place, even to the point of dropping the puck on the floor, but the token is easy to remove.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proxy Tokens and DMs 4 years 2 months ago #30

jedibcg wrote:

Kaledor wrote: Magnetic puck...

Owning your own magnetic puck you do not have to worry about leaving your weapon in the puck when you exit the room.

Magnetic puck was hard as hell to knock out a token.

Just a couple of benefits of having your own puck. Especially if it is magnetic.


I am not against players owning their own pucks, but there could be reasons Jeff and Co doesn't want to do this. Off the top of my head alterations of pucks could be done by players. I don't own a puck so I cannot say if adding or subtracting weight to the puck would be advantageous for a player, but it definitely is possible. Changing the felt on the bottom could provide advantages.


Not sure what advantage... unless they own the boards they are sliding on are the exact same board you are sliding on at TD for each monster. Then I can see an advantage...

Our Dwarf Fighter typically slides 2 - 3 crits each fight, owning his own puck probably will not change the slide enough to make a difference.
Team Legacy
Yes I'm an Arneson you do the math.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proxy Tokens and DMs 4 years 2 months ago #31

Kaledor wrote: Not sure what advantage... unless they own the boards they are sliding on are the exact same board you are sliding on at TD for each monster. Then I can see an advantage...

Our Dwarf Fighter typically slides 2 - 3 crits each fight, owning his own puck probably will not change the slide enough to make a difference.


Just owning a puck could be an advantage itself. It would allow players to practice. Again not something I care about because your play does not affect mine, but I do think it is a valid argument. Can priest buy a set of beads and Wizards the plane board if they want one?
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proxy Tokens and DMs 4 years 2 months ago #32

I don't think that having the new pucks, or owning your own puck, will solve the issue of Proxy tokens, I suspect the people currently using them will continue to. It would be great to have a policy from True Dungeon so that the DM's are consistent in their rulings, either for or against.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proxy Tokens and DMs 4 years 2 months ago #33

jedibcg wrote:

Kaledor wrote: Not sure what advantage... unless they own the boards they are sliding on are the exact same board you are sliding on at TD for each monster. Then I can see an advantage...

Our Dwarf Fighter typically slides 2 - 3 crits each fight, owning his own puck probably will not change the slide enough to make a difference.


Just owning a puck could be an advantage itself. It would allow players to practice. Again not something I care about because your play does not affect mine, but I do think it is a valid argument. Can priest buy a set of beads and Wizards the plane board if they want one?


Since those are posted online you can study them. Having at slider is like saying owning baseball bat gives you and advantage in a base ball game. Nope it does not. Do not think owning a slider is a valid argument... since people make them already and use them...
Team Legacy
Yes I'm an Arneson you do the math.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proxy Tokens and DMs 4 years 2 months ago #34

Mike Steele wrote: I don't think that having the new pucks, or owning your own puck, will solve the issue of Proxy tokens, I suspect the people currently using them will continue to. It would be great to have a policy from True Dungeon so that the DM's are consistent in their rulings, either for or against.


You are correct! But again this is the TD forums we get off topic all the time! B)
Team Legacy
Yes I'm an Arneson you do the math.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proxy Tokens and DMs 4 years 2 months ago #35

Kaledor wrote:

jedibcg wrote:

Kaledor wrote: Not sure what advantage... unless they own the boards they are sliding on are the exact same board you are sliding on at TD for each monster. Then I can see an advantage...

Our Dwarf Fighter typically slides 2 - 3 crits each fight, owning his own puck probably will not change the slide enough to make a difference.


Just owning a puck could be an advantage itself. It would allow players to practice. Again not something I care about because your play does not affect mine, but I do think it is a valid argument. Can priest buy a set of beads and Wizards the plane board if they want one?


Since those are posted online you can study them. Having at slider is like saying owning baseball bat gives you and advantage in a base ball game. Nope it does not. Do not think owning a slider is a valid argument... since people make them already and use them...


Now you are just being ridiculous. Of course being able to practice swing a baseball bat give you advantage over someone that one swings a bat once a year.
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proxy Tokens and DMs 4 years 2 months ago #36

Kaledor wrote:

jedibcg wrote:

Kaledor wrote: Not sure what advantage... unless they own the boards they are sliding on are the exact same board you are sliding on at TD for each monster. Then I can see an advantage...

Our Dwarf Fighter typically slides 2 - 3 crits each fight, owning his own puck probably will not change the slide enough to make a difference.


Just owning a puck could be an advantage itself. It would allow players to practice. Again not something I care about because your play does not affect mine, but I do think it is a valid argument. Can priest buy a set of beads and Wizards the plane board if they want one?


Since those are posted online you can study them. Having at slider is like saying owning baseball bat gives you and advantage in a base ball game. Nope it does not. Do not think owning a slider is a valid argument... since people make them already and use them...


For arguments sake, I do not think that is a fair analogy. Owning a baseball bat is totally an advantage if the rest of the team/opponents weren't permitted to practice.
~Meta: Don't worry, it is perfectly "safe" to follow the drunken dwarf into the dungeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.419 seconds