Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The negative effects of running 10 CoA's

The negative effects of running 10 CoA's 5 years 9 months ago #49

We have had to show our Treasure Enhancers at epilogue in the past, correct? Having to carry a few tokens that far isn't a burden and it helps keep people from double dipping, or worse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The negative effects of running 10 CoA's 5 years 9 months ago #50

balthasar wrote: We have had to show our Treasure Enhancers at epilogue in the past, correct? Having to carry a few tokens that far isn't a burden and it helps keep people from double dipping, or worse.


I have never shown a treasure-enhancer in the epilogue room, however I have heard of it happening to plenty of other people.
My online token shop: www.tdtavern.com

We buy, sell, and trade True Dungeon tokens. We also have a convenient consignment program where you can sell your own tokens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The negative effects of running 10 CoA's 5 years 9 months ago #51

  • Picc
  • Picc's Avatar
  • Away
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • Remember when we were explorers?
  • Posts: 6746

Kirk Bauer wrote:

balthasar wrote: We have had to show our Treasure Enhancers at epilogue in the past, correct? Having to carry a few tokens that far isn't a burden and it helps keep people from double dipping, or worse.


I have never shown a treasure-enhancer in the epilogue room, however I have heard of it happening to plenty of other people.


It used to be par for the course. Treasure generator recording was only moved to the coaching room a few years ago. Mainly in the interests of time but also because of frequent errors in treasure payouts partly attributed to assigning less experienced volunteers to the checkout desks. That said its kind of a moot point now. I don't think moving it back to epilogue is practical with variable payout tokens like the charm of good fortune in circulation.
Semper Gumby, Always flexible.

Sartre sits in in a coffee shop and asks for a coffee without cream. The barista apologizes “Sorry, we don't have any cream. Can I offer you a coffee without milk instead?”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The negative effects of running 10 CoA's 5 years 9 months ago #52

balthasar wrote: We have had to show our Treasure Enhancers at epilogue in the past, correct? Having to carry a few tokens that far isn't a burden and it helps keep people from double dipping, or worse.


I disagree. My party's URTEs total 26 tokens, weighing nearly a pound and taking up an entire pocket.

I really don't want to by bumbling through the dungeon with ~$6,000 in my pocket while I dig around for a Scroll Cure Lt. Wounds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The negative effects of running 10 CoA's 5 years 9 months ago #53

Matthew Hayward wrote:

balthasar wrote: We have had to show our Treasure Enhancers at epilogue in the past, correct? Having to carry a few tokens that far isn't a burden and it helps keep people from double dipping, or worse.


I disagree. My party's URTEs total 26 tokens, weighing nearly a pound and taking up an entire pocket.

I really don't want to by bumbling through the dungeon with ~$6,000 in my pocket while I dig around for a Scroll Cure Lt. Wounds.


We have had to do it in the past. Every year, until this last year, I have had to show mine. Keep them in a binder? One binder,for the group's URTEs, would be much easier to carry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The negative effects of running 10 CoA's 5 years 9 months ago #54

balthasar wrote:
We have had to do it in the past. Every year, until this last year, I have had to show mine.


And that's what I call progress!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The negative effects of running 10 CoA's 5 years 9 months ago #55

Matthew Hayward wrote:

balthasar wrote:
We have had to do it in the past. Every year, until this last year, I have had to show mine.


And that's what I call progress!


And that progress is allowing people to earn treasure for runs they aren't running. I allowed one person to use my CoA, which they took through the dungeon, for a few treasure chips. Probably should not have, but with it being carried into the dungeon, I couldn't double dip. I would wager that is happening though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The negative effects of running 10 CoA's 5 years 9 months ago #56

Kirk Bauer wrote: Sounds like we need some clarification from the powers that be on this since there seems to be a variety of perfectly reasonable expectations. Here is my understanding:

  • Anything shown to the coach and written on the party card doesn't need to be carried through the dungeon. Personally that means I have a small wallet of the situational tokens I care about and the rest (including CoAs) I leave with bag check.
  • I wasn't around to hear about the unofficial rule about lending treasure-enhancing tokens, but from my perspective it is fine whether or not you are on the run as long as you aren't loaning them to parallel runs.

In runs I was on, I virtually lended some CoAs to people, sometimes in exchange for a portion of the loot. Typically I ask for half of the increase. So if the player would have had 7 draws and now they get 16, then I'd like 4 of those.

Thursday was the only day that I used my full ten CoAs. Every day after that I only used 1 or 2. So I had no problem physically lending five of my CoAs to somebody I trust and they offered me a share of the loot.

I definitely don't think it is OK to show ten CoAs in one coaching room and then show the same set in another coaching room for concurrent runs. But there is no easy way to prevent that other than requiring that players show their treasure-enhancers both before and after the adventure.

Finally, I did have one person (who I was not on a run with) ask if they could virtually borrow my full set of ten CoAs. They didn't really give me time to respond, but hopefully the coach didn't give them the bonus without physically seeing the tokens.


I think it's completely wrong to "virtually" loan loot tokens, or even physically have them used by multiple different people on different runs. it seems like it is totally taking advantage of Jeff's generosity. I have no problem with loaning them to people on runs with you, but I do think they should be treated as "soul bound" to one individual and not be used on any runs that person isn't on. I hope that Jeff comes up with some ruling to reign that practice in, as he did years ago with Horns of Plenty when people were considering doing the same thing with those.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The negative effects of running 10 CoA's 5 years 9 months ago #57

It is certainly wrong for more than one person to use the same token on the same run.

I had a party try this last year while coaching. Not for treasure enhancers but for basic gear. After I entered one players information on the party card he started moving armor, charm and ioun stone tokens to another players mat. I told him that was not allowed. He said it had been allowed in the past. (More likely it had not been noticed). I told him that was not the correct way to do it. When he persisted I offered to call a Coordinator to confirm my ruling. He backed down at that point.
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The negative effects of running 10 CoA's 5 years 9 months ago #58

balthasar wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote:

balthasar wrote: We have had to show our Treasure Enhancers at epilogue in the past, correct? Having to carry a few tokens that far isn't a burden and it helps keep people from double dipping, or worse.


I disagree. My party's URTEs total 26 tokens, weighing nearly a pound and taking up an entire pocket.

I really don't want to by bumbling through the dungeon with ~$6,000 in my pocket while I dig around for a Scroll Cure Lt. Wounds.


We have had to do it in the past. Every year, until this last year, I have had to show mine. Keep them in a binder? One binder,for the group's URTEs, would be much easier to carry.



Only problem with carrying the binder is there is a greater opportunity to leave the binder in the Dungeon or it is constantly in the way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The negative effects of running 10 CoA's 5 years 9 months ago #59

balthasar wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote:

balthasar wrote:
We have had to do it in the past. Every year, until this last year, I have had to show mine.


And that's what I call progress!


And that progress is allowing people to earn treasure for runs they aren't running. I allowed one person to use my CoA, which they took through the dungeon, for a few treasure chips. Probably should not have, but with it being carried into the dungeon, I couldn't double dip. I would wager that is happening though.


While we are on the topic of allowing people to earn treasure they shouldn't be earning, maybe they should finally disallow the 5th level Medallion of Nobility from granting the 6th level bonus treasure chip. Currently, 5th level players can get an extra treasure chip they shouldn't be getting!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The negative effects of running 10 CoA's 5 years 9 months ago #60

  • jedibcg
  • jedibcg's Avatar
  • Away
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • What is personal text?
  • Posts: 10522

Incognito wrote:

balthasar wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote:

balthasar wrote:
We have had to do it in the past. Every year, until this last year, I have had to show mine.


And that's what I call progress!


And that progress is allowing people to earn treasure for runs they aren't running. I allowed one person to use my CoA, which they took through the dungeon, for a few treasure chips. Probably should not have, but with it being carried into the dungeon, I couldn't double dip. I would wager that is happening though.


While we are on the topic of allowing people to earn treasure they shouldn't be earning, maybe they should finally disallow the 5th level Medallion of Nobility from granting the 6th level bonus treasure chip. Currently, 5th level players can get an extra treasure chip they shouldn't be getting!


Not disagreeing with you but how would you propose the check for 6th level is made?
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds