Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Prototype Magnetic Slider

New Prototype Magnetic Slider 4 years 9 months ago #121

  • Druegar
  • Druegar's Avatar
  • Away
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • Enjoy Your Burrito
  • Posts: 9720
I thought that too, but then I realized we'd just fall back on the names like we always have, so I don't think it's a big deal.
Have you looked it up in the TDb ?
Please post TDb corrections/suggestions in this thread .
If I write something in teal, it should not be taken seriously

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Prototype Magnetic Slider 4 years 9 months ago #122

Druegar wrote: I thought that too, but then I realized we'd just fall back on the names like we always have, so I don't think it's a big deal.

+1
Useful Links:
TD Character Creator
Amorgen's Excel Char Gen Tool
Token DataBase
Talking TD Podcast

TD Accomplishments:
Member of the first team to survive Epic True Grind
1st Solo NM as Poly Druid
Proud member of Gas Station Sushi
Don't Nerf Our Tokens!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Prototype Magnetic Slider 4 years 9 months ago #123

Druegar wrote: Are the characters adhesive labels, painted on, or embedded (sort of like inverted bas-relief)? I'm asking because if they're stickers or paint, will they be likely to become scratched & unreadable after a while?

Permanent part of the slider (no removing - different color plastic).

Ed
Useful Links:
TD Character Creator
Amorgen's Excel Char Gen Tool
Token DataBase
Talking TD Podcast

TD Accomplishments:
Member of the first team to survive Epic True Grind
1st Solo NM as Poly Druid
Proud member of Gas Station Sushi
Don't Nerf Our Tokens!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by MasterED.

New Prototype Magnetic Slider 4 years 9 months ago #124

Probably way too late for this, but is it possible to 'flip' the numbers in the Monk sliders? The DM reads them from teh outside of the ring, so they will, currently, appear upside down. Not a huge deal, just an aesthetic appeal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Prototype Magnetic Slider 4 years 9 months ago #125

balthasar wrote: Probably way too late for this, but is it possible to 'flip' the numbers in the Monk sliders? The DM reads them from teh outside of the ring, so they will, currently, appear upside down. Not a huge deal, just an aesthetic appeal.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought about this and what I came up with is - if you (DM) are on the same side of the board as the damage dot - they would be upside down. If you were on the opposite of the board as the dot they would be right side up. If you flip the numbers you also have this problem. So unless we can guarantee where the DM would be in relation to the damage dot we were always going to have some that were not in the correct orientation.

Ed
Useful Links:
TD Character Creator
Amorgen's Excel Char Gen Tool
Token DataBase
Talking TD Podcast

TD Accomplishments:
Member of the first team to survive Epic True Grind
1st Solo NM as Poly Druid
Proud member of Gas Station Sushi
Don't Nerf Our Tokens!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Prototype Magnetic Slider 4 years 9 months ago #126

MasterED wrote:

balthasar wrote: Probably way too late for this, but is it possible to 'flip' the numbers in the Monk sliders? The DM reads them from teh outside of the ring, so they will, currently, appear upside down. Not a huge deal, just an aesthetic appeal.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought about this and what I came up with is - if you (DM) are on the same side of the board as the damage dot - they would be upside down. If you were on the opposite of the board as the dot they would be right side up. If you flip the numbers you also have this problem. So unless we can guarantee where the DM would be in relation to the damage dot we were always going to have some that were not in the correct orientation.

Ed


Now I'm wondering whether Jeff takes the side of the board the dot is on in relation to the DM when determining where each combat board is placed in rooms (of when making new boards). Because it isn't just the empty monk slider that would have this problem. The weapon tokens have the exact same issue.

Maybe this is one of those nagging aches that can slow down combat but no one ever really caught before now?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Prototype Magnetic Slider 4 years 9 months ago #127

I will let the actual DM chime in instead of guessing. Now Fiddy we could always put a camera above the board and just auto-calculate the damage ;-)

Ed
Useful Links:
TD Character Creator
Amorgen's Excel Char Gen Tool
Token DataBase
Talking TD Podcast

TD Accomplishments:
Member of the first team to survive Epic True Grind
1st Solo NM as Poly Druid
Proud member of Gas Station Sushi
Don't Nerf Our Tokens!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Prototype Magnetic Slider 4 years 9 months ago #128

MasterED wrote: I will let the actual DM chime in instead of guessing.


Good point. No need to invent a problem that may not be real. :)

MasterED wrote: Now Fiddy we could always put a camera above the board and just auto-calculate the damage ;-)


I think I found my next hackathon project.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Prototype Magnetic Slider 4 years 9 months ago #129

  • Raven
  • Raven's Avatar
  • Away
  • 10th Level
  • Supporter
  • "Oooooh, Shiny!"
  • Posts: 6579

Fiddy wrote: Now I'm wondering whether Jeff takes the side of the board the dot is on in relation to the DM when determining where each combat board is placed in rooms (of when making new boards).


While I can't answer the question of what is going through Jeff's mind when making boards, I can tell you that DMs tend to stand on whichever side of the board works well for them, and it's not always the side with the damage dot. (Give or take, depending on the constraints of the room)

And boards get re-used a lot, from year to year... so even if the room configuration had the DM stand on one side, one year... the next year the room layout may be different.

And some Boards don't have damage dots. I've used a few myself - and seen others - where you have to draw a little dot on the side because it was overlooked in the design phase (or peeled off during use/storage?)

So I would guess that there's no particular planning.
"THERE WILL NEVER BE A TOKEN EQUAL TO A GOOD BRAIN!"- Smakdown

Check out these awesome resources:
Cranston's Character Generator for iDevices or Android
Amorgen's Excel Character Generator
And the ever-useful Token DataBase , expertly maintained by Druegar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Prototype Magnetic Slider 4 years 9 months ago #130

  • jedibcg
  • jedibcg's Avatar
  • Away
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • What is personal text?
  • Posts: 10392
This might make it more confusing but what if on the monk slider (and only the monk slider) Monk was written on the inside where the numbers are and the numbers were written on the outside where Monk is?


You would use the same orientation for the numbers that the tokens are. DM would know not to use the numbers if there is a token sitting in it. DM and players would know which is the monk because it has numbers around it vs a name once it has a token covering the name. Just trying to think outside the box a bit.
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Prototype Magnetic Slider 4 years 9 months ago #131

  • Druegar
  • Druegar's Avatar
  • Away
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • Enjoy Your Burrito
  • Posts: 9720
To be consistent, I think it's best to orient the monk sliders' numbers the same as all weapon tokens. DMs shouldn't have to read most pucks one way and some pucks another way.
Which is a long-winded way of saying I think they're best as is.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Have you looked it up in the TDb ?
Please post TDb corrections/suggestions in this thread .
If I write something in teal, it should not be taken seriously

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Prototype Magnetic Slider 4 years 9 months ago #132

  • Druegar
  • Druegar's Avatar
  • Away
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • Enjoy Your Burrito
  • Posts: 9720
Are all the magnets oriented the same direction? I.e., are they all North up or all South up?
Have you looked it up in the TDb ?
Please post TDb corrections/suggestions in this thread .
If I write something in teal, it should not be taken seriously

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds