Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: When Tokens escape Pucks (From DM guide)

When Tokens escape Pucks (From DM guide) 4 years 1 month ago #13

Matthew Hayward wrote:

Dave wrote:

Dave Acosta wrote:

Kirk Bauer wrote: I have an idea... if we only had pucks with magnets that held the tokens in place...


Great idea Kirk. And it would be very inexpensive.


It is a great idea. Just make sure you can still quickly get the token out of the puck when it's time to go. They won't just fall out of a magnet. You might need a small hole in the in the bottom so your finger can push it out when necessary.


Kirk is teasing you a bit - in grind this year some groups had optional access to prototype 3d printed pucks with magnets built in.

Brad did an effective demonstration in the coaching room of borrowing a relic weapon, putting it in the puck, and dropping it from chest height to the concrete floor. The puck stayed put.

The only concern I had with the prototype was that the edges were soft, so I think it would make trying to bump other pucks more difficult.


We'd still have those poor wooden weapon tokens popping out though. I wonder if there were any wooden weapon tokens used at all this year among the 8000 players. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Tokens escape Pucks (From DM guide) 4 years 1 month ago #14

  • Harlax
  • Harlax's Avatar
  • Away
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Baruk Khazad!
  • Posts: 7858
Our monk had some difficulty with them.

On two occasions one of the pucks turned on its side and rolled down the table.

Love the concept though, hope it works out.
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Harlax.

When Tokens escape Pucks (From DM guide) 4 years 1 month ago #15

I got to see those pucks when I played grind (didn't use, just saw). And even if there are some issues that need fixed, I think they show that the magnet idea is a good one and worth the effort to fix any problems.
this is not a signature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Tokens escape Pucks (From DM guide) 4 years 1 month ago #16

Got to use said magnetic pucks and greatly enjoyed them. We didn't have issue bumping slides.
I would actually be willing to pay TD $ to have my own magnetic pucks. Make them a completely different color to distinguish from the ones TD has in rooms. Some benefits are:
1. Less downtime finding correct sliders for everyone.
2. No risk of expensive weapons flying out (there was a room with a board that had no backstop and a new player in my group slide their slider off the board completely)
3. Additional revenue stream for TD
4. See #2


In regards to pulling magnets out it was very easy to swap weapons. You pushed down on the edge of the weapn and it popped up. The pucks also were strong enough to stack on top, handy for dual wielders.
Source: Played Ranger in Grind. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Tokens escape Pucks (From DM guide) 4 years 1 month ago #17

  • Picc
  • Picc's Avatar
  • Away
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • Remember when we were explorers?
  • Posts: 5964

Mike Steele wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote:

Dave wrote:

Dave Acosta wrote:

Kirk Bauer wrote: I have an idea... if we only had pucks with magnets that held the tokens in place...


Great idea Kirk. And it would be very inexpensive.


It is a great idea. Just make sure you can still quickly get the token out of the puck when it's time to go. They won't just fall out of a magnet. You might need a small hole in the in the bottom so your finger can push it out when necessary.


Kirk is teasing you a bit - in grind this year some groups had optional access to prototype 3d printed pucks with magnets built in.

Brad did an effective demonstration in the coaching room of borrowing a relic weapon, putting it in the puck, and dropping it from chest height to the concrete floor. The puck stayed put.

The only concern I had with the prototype was that the edges were soft, so I think it would make trying to bump other pucks more difficult.


We'd still have those poor wooden weapon tokens popping out though. I wonder if there were any wooden weapon tokens used at all this year among the 8000 players. :)


Fulltime coaching I only saw 1.
Semper Gumby, Always flexible.

Sartre sits in in a coffee shop and asks for a coffee without cream. The barista apologizes “Sorry, we don't have any cream. Can I offer you a coffee without milk instead?”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Tokens escape Pucks (From DM guide) 4 years 1 month ago #18

Wasn't going to do this now but:

PROS -

safer tokens

smoother sliding (because of newer felt or slightly heavier pucks? Dunno)

Softer ricochet off other pucks. Players liked it, but maybe Jeff would prefer a little less control. It is the chaos of combat, after all.

Everyone had the option to switch back to old pucks if they wanted. I don't think anybody did. Some wanted to own their own and take it with them everywhere.

CONS (minor and fixable) -

maybe make the "pyramid" a cone so you can easily pivot the token from any edge, not just the four "corners."

They are taller, so top heavy. They could be slightly shorter, or recess the pad a little, or use a wider one, or several smaller ones around the edge instead of in the center, or some weight in the bottom, or...

That's all I have, except...


I read Matt's description of the demo and I felt terrible. A couple of people accidentally "tried" it in the combat room, so I knew the one I borrowed was safe, but I should have looked closer at what was handed to me. I don't remember whose I used, but if I caused you heart arrhythmia by chucking your valuable token to the floor, I'm sorry. Sometimes I'm a little impulsive, but I'd not have done it if I thought there was any danger, regardless of the token.
barkley.neo.rr.com -->see my trade thread HERE , my eBay store HERE or my web store HERE
"Ceci n'est pas une pipe" - Magritte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Tokens escape Pucks (From DM guide) 4 years 1 month ago #19

Brad Mortensen wrote:
I read Matt's description of the demo and I felt terrible. A couple of people accidentally "tried" it in the combat room, so I knew the one I borrowed was safe, but I should have looked closer at what was handed to me. I don't remember whose I used, but if I caused you heart arrhythmia by chucking your valuable token to the floor, I'm sorry. Sometimes I'm a little impulsive, but I'd not have done it if I thought there was any danger, regardless of the token.


Heh - I felt it made for an effective demonstration ;).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Tokens escape Pucks (From DM guide) 4 years 1 month ago #20

I have made mine own pucks, which are very similar to the current TD pucks. I put my magnets in the the felt slider, as they are very strong. The token stays in the puck, and you can just flip it over and tap the puck into your palm to remove the token. I like the way the prototype pucks use the beveled edge inside to tip the puck out, but I do believe that leaves them top heavy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Tokens escape Pucks (From DM guide) 4 years 1 month ago #21

Wooden tokens aren't magnetic, because science. But, I suppose you could bring an extra magnet and make a token sandwich to hold it down, or tape or hotglue a piece of not-aluminum to the back of the token for the magnet to grab.
barkley.neo.rr.com -->see my trade thread HERE , my eBay store HERE or my web store HERE
"Ceci n'est pas une pipe" - Magritte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Tokens escape Pucks (From DM guide) 4 years 1 month ago #22

Brad Mortensen wrote: Wooden tokens aren't magnetic, because science. But, I suppose you could bring an extra magnet and make a token sandwich to hold it down, or tape or hotglue a piece of not-aluminum to the back of the token for the magnet to grab.

I will make a separate post on the new prototype sliders in a bit but Brad is right. TD could provide a magnet to sandwich the wooden token in. It will be a infrequent need.

Ed
Useful Links:
TD Character Creator
Amorgen's Excel Char Gen Tool
Token DataBase
Talking TD Podcast

TD Accomplishments:
Member of the first team to survive Epic True Grind
1st Solo NM as Poly Druid
Proud member of Gas Station Sushi
Don't Nerf Our Tokens!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Tokens escape Pucks (From DM guide) 4 years 1 month ago #23

Having been in Matt's run of TG that used the prototypes, I will say I liked them.
Not perfect, but they worked well and did not seem to be a big adjustment for anyone to get used to them. We actually had some very effective bumping with them.

As to the actual title of this thread, we had a very experienced DM clear our paladins solid hit off the board when his token popped out and make it clear his opinion was the slide did not count, could not be reslid, he could not replace it as an option and was a miss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When Tokens escape Pucks (From DM guide) 4 years 1 month ago #24

The other thing I saw was the sliding board for the beholder. It had a higher lip around the combat board to accommodate lighting. Seems to me those type of boards would be much more prone to prevent knocked out tokens from flying off the table at least.
~Meta: Don't worry, it is perfectly "safe" to follow the drunken dwarf into the dungeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds