Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: It's time to eliminate the 3rd level player bonus

It's time to eliminate the 3rd level player bonus 1 year 8 months ago #61

  • Xavon
  • Xavon's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 7th Level
  • Supporter
  • Obligation is the sincerest form of insanity
  • Posts: 3155
I don't know how or if this would fly, but I would almost prefer the the rule to be 'anyone who comes to the forum and works out with the other members of the run what they wanted to play, gets their choice. Anyone who does not must pick from the remainders'. It could be included in the email that goes out.

On the one hand, it seems a bit troubling and and bit elitist. On the other hand, it brings people to the community, and encourages them to work it out in advance and thus save time.
Applications programming is a race between software engineers, who strive to produce idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, which strives to produce bigger idiots.  <br /><br />So far, the Universe is winning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's time to eliminate the 3rd level player bonus 1 year 8 months ago #62

  • Ro-gan
  • Ro-gan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • He's No Use To Me Dead.
  • Posts: 1944

edwin wrote:

Ro-gan wrote: True Story time...

I was only able to get 2 of the 10 VIG tickets for E3 on Fri at 7:38 PM. I gave the second ticket to Mrs Laz. As the time was drawing nigh I was seriously thinking of backing out of this Run knowing I would know no one on this Run (besides Mrs Laz).

Usually I have no problem with running with strangers. But over the past couple years this has become an issue for me. Those that know me are probably confused by that. I am extroverted and outspoken. Those that really know me know my issue here.

I run Rybak the Dwarf Fighter. Rybak is rude, crude, an asshole, and just says whatever comes to mind without thinking of the consequences. That's Rybak. Yes, I am sort of like Rybak but Rybak takes it beyond another level of asshattery.

So... Mrs Laz and I get to the Coaching Room. Some person I have no idea who she is already has claimed the Dwarf Fighter. I don't like enforcing the 3rd Level Rule. I'm not a fan of it. So... I offered her $10 cash to let me run Rybak and explained I always and only run Rybak. She eventually conceded and didn't take my money. I wish she had because she told me: "just run the best Dwarf ever because that's what I do when I take the Dwarf Fighter."

After the First Room Mrs Laz and I soon discovered her definition of how the Dwarf Fighter should be best run and mine is a complete 180-degree.

I taunted 24-7. Rybak (as many that have run with him know) is also a huge proponent of Dwarf Tossing. He is also a hug flirt and loves the ladies and some dudes in the Dungeons. Although, he is rather crude about it... okay... very crude.

So this woman says to me after the first Room is done: "Don't do that. I don't care how you talk about yourself but don't talk like that to a woman again (the Room's NPC)."

OH... WTF?!? Seriously?!? Mrs Laz looked at her like she was nuts and I even asked the NPC if she had any issue with me. She didn't.

This is the type of idiots I attract. The "that person isn't offended but I am offended for them and I will force them to be offended even though they aren't but should be."

Needless to say Rybak was offended by her and decided to go all out for the rest of the 6 Rooms. It was classic.

So after we were done and I decided not to just call her a prude (she was way younger than me) and walk away this 60+ year old woman comes up to me in the Epilogue area and says I was awesome and totally made the Run for her. I couldn't thank her enough for the compliment.

Gawds!! I truly hate the easily offend-able.

Anyway...

The point of this is that I'd rather pay cash than invoke Level 3 Privilege.


Rybak is great to run with. Enjoyed it at last years patron run at Origins.

Smart older lady.


Rybak says thank you very much. Well... I say thank you. Rybak is too conceited to thank anyone. LOL!!
"It's treason then."



Cranston's Character Generator for iDevices or Character Generator for Android

Amorgen's Excellent Excel Character Generator

Have you checked the Token DataBase ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's time to eliminate the 3rd level player bonus 1 year 8 months ago #63

  • jedibcg
  • jedibcg's Avatar
  • Away
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • What is personal text?
  • Posts: 9701

Ro-gan wrote:

This is the type of idiots I attract.

So you disagreed on how you should play is there the need to insult another player you disagree with? I am not saying she was right or wrong just no need to call someone an idiot for disagreeing with your play style. I don’t have enough context because I don’t know what you said to the NPC.
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's time to eliminate the 3rd level player bonus 1 year 8 months ago #64

I’m not sure I agree with removing the level requirement. Runs are 2-hour commitments, and the possibility of having to tack on an additional 30+ minutes just so I can get the only class I have gear for (assuming someone doesn’t beat me there by even seconds) is not appealing. People would now have to be even more careful about planning their runs and possibly have to give up one or two just so they can make sure they arrive early enough to get their class.

Perhaps some sort of incentive or minor reward for the person giving up the class card? A “token of gratitude” (pun totally intended) if you will?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's time to eliminate the 3rd level player bonus 1 year 8 months ago #65

PalaDan wrote: Perhaps some sort of incentive or minor reward for the person giving up the class card? A “token of gratitude” (pun totally intended) if you will?

A great idea if there weren't jerks. Then there will be jerks who get there early just to take other's classes to get the tokens.

Ed
Useful Links:
TD Character Creator
Amorgen's Excel Char Gen Tool
Token DataBase
Talking TD Podcast

TD Accomplishments:
Member of the first team to survive Epic True Grind
1st Solo NM as Poly Druid
Proud member of Gas Station Sushi
Don't Nerf Our Tokens!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's time to eliminate the 3rd level player bonus 1 year 8 months ago #66

MasterED wrote:

PalaDan wrote: Perhaps some sort of incentive or minor reward for the person giving up the class card? A “token of gratitude” (pun totally intended) if you will?

A great idea if there weren't jerks. Then there will be jerks who get there early just to take other's classes to get the tokens.

Ed


On one hand - ugh, good point.

On the other hand - I think any sort of decision here will generate “jerks”. After all, aren’t we discussing removing the level rule because “jerk” veterans pull rank to take classes from new players?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's time to eliminate the 3rd level player bonus 1 year 8 months ago #67

EvilJohn wrote: I think most of us agree on the setiment here - let's try to prevent hard feelings when someone dosen't get the class that they wanted.

Will a formalized system prevent hard feelings? I don't know. Jerks will still be jerks. People will still choose to get offended, wether or not it was "fair".

Being a Coach this year, I did see class contention a couple of times, but rank was never pulled, nor was the dice used. But just having that 3rd level rule in place "smells of" elitism.

Weird thought -- why not have 2 of the same class? Would it really break things that badly? Maybe dis-incentivize it so both players take a penalty, like -5hp?


In theory I like the idea of letting people play the same class but I think it would complicate things in the dungeon. Do both Bards Bard song work? Can both Paladins guard someone? Things like that make it messy.

I'm in favor of just letting everyone try and settle things out themselves and if for some reason people can't then Rock Paper Scissors.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's time to eliminate the 3rd level player bonus 1 year 8 months ago #68

I haven’t pugged into to any runs. All of mine have been through Guildy McG. We try to set up the remainder via forums. In previous years when we have had 100% randoms, I don’t think we have been excessively rude about preventing people from playing their class preference.

If somebody absolutely had their heart set on playing druid, I would give up my druid spot - regardless of how good their build is.

I would probably not let them wear my T-shirt though.
:p

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's time to eliminate the 3rd level player bonus 1 year 8 months ago #69

Rob F wrote:

EvilJohn wrote: I think most of us agree on the setiment here - let's try to prevent hard feelings when someone dosen't get the class that they wanted.

Will a formalized system prevent hard feelings? I don't know. Jerks will still be jerks. People will still choose to get offended, wether or not it was "fair".

Being a Coach this year, I did see class contention a couple of times, but rank was never pulled, nor was the dice used. But just having that 3rd level rule in place "smells of" elitism.

Weird thought -- why not have 2 of the same class? Would it really break things that badly? Maybe dis-incentivize it so both players take a penalty, like -5hp?


In theory I like the idea of letting people play the same class but I think it would complicate things in the dungeon. Do both Bards Bard song work? Can both Paladins guard someone? Things like that make it messy.


I think that’s easily solvable with a blanket rule that says class abilities don’t stack. So no, two bardsongs wouldn’t stack. Two paladins can guard 2 different targets, but not the same one. And so on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's time to eliminate the 3rd level player bonus 1 year 8 months ago #70

PalaDan wrote: On the other hand - I think any sort of decision here will generate “jerks”. After all, aren’t we discussing removing the level rule because “jerk” veterans pull rank to take classes from new players?

If the rule says they can pull rank, they can. That doesn't make them a jerk. Certainly they could be a jerk on how they do it.

The key is to find a way that is fair, minimizes elitism, is improbable to manipulate, and brings the most amount of people their preferred class.

Ed
Useful Links:
TD Character Creator
Amorgen's Excel Char Gen Tool
Token DataBase
Talking TD Podcast

TD Accomplishments:
Member of the first team to survive Epic True Grind
1st Solo NM as Poly Druid
Proud member of Gas Station Sushi
Don't Nerf Our Tokens!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's time to eliminate the 3rd level player bonus 1 year 8 months ago #71

Another problem with doubling up character classes is logistical.
Right now they know exactly how many cards of each to bring and not waste money or time with extras.
*mental note* always listen to Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's time to eliminate the 3rd level player bonus 1 year 8 months ago #72

MasterED wrote:

PalaDan wrote: On the other hand - I think any sort of decision here will generate “jerks”. After all, aren’t we discussing removing the level rule because “jerk” veterans pull rank to take classes from new players?

If the rule says they can pull rank, they can. That doesn't make them a jerk. Certainly they could be a jerk on how they do it.

The key is to find a way that is fair, minimizes elitism, is improbable to manipulate, and brings the most amount of people their preferred class.

Ed


Agreed, but there’s clearly some resentment towards the current rule, otherwise we wouldn’t be discussing it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds