Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Auctioning off portions of $8k order

Auctioning off portions of $8k order 6 years 10 months ago #121

Mekra wrote: Bummer didn't get a tooth. Hopfully I'll get in on another if you do it.

Not sure if facebook would be any better of a method of bidding. I wonder if there are other tools so you don't have to scrounge the forums for updates, maybe an auto update option.


Facebook would not have crashed. We use it all the time for MtG auctions.

As for the auto update, it was the load on the software, that was the bigger issue.
Team Legacy
Yes I'm an Arneson you do the math.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auctioning off portions of $8k order 6 years 10 months ago #122

Kirk Bauer wrote: I should mention, if you choose to pay the $4 for shipping and want to add anything from www.tdtavern.com , you can go ahead and take 10% off of the prices on the website (discount for me not paying shipping and assuming a PayPal Friends & Family payment). Just let me know what you want to add.


Sent an email.
Please check out my trade post located here!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auctioning off portions of $8k order 6 years 10 months ago #123

The issue is that this type of auction, as well as the eBay style, encourages sniping (bidding at the last second) because it is the optimum strategy, at least assuming you know what you want to pay for something. You are less likely to win (as you can't react to an outbid) but more likely to pay a lower price if you do win.

I'm thinking next time I'll try a method where people post their bids publicly (like this one), and the auction for the $8k order will end when (1) we meet the $8k goal and (2) there have been no bids in 4 hours. This would eliminate any incentive for sniping and hopefully not crash the forums.

Thoughts?
My online token shop: www.tdtavern.com

We buy, sell, and trade True Dungeon tokens. We also have a convenient consignment program where you can sell your own tokens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auctioning off portions of $8k order 6 years 10 months ago #124

Thanks, Krk - Payment coming soon.

Bummed I lost out on the hides.
Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer

Awesome avatar by Mauve Shirt!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auctioning off portions of $8k order 6 years 10 months ago #125

bpsymington wrote: Thanks, Krk - Payment coming soon.

Bummed I lost out on the hides.


Wait, hold off on that. I missed the hides in my list. I will email you a new total.
My online token shop: www.tdtavern.com

We buy, sell, and trade True Dungeon tokens. We also have a convenient consignment program where you can sell your own tokens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auctioning off portions of $8k order 6 years 10 months ago #126

Kaledor wrote:

Rob F wrote: Here's my thought:

Everyone knew when the auction would end, so if you waited until a minute or two beforehand to try and post a reply and weren't able to get your bid in then tough s++t, your fault for waiting so long. Sorry if I come off like an ass by saying that but people had days to bid on this stuff. You wait until the last second and something goes wrong then too bad. I say you stick with the original rules and James gets the Orb. Note: I don't think any of my bids were impacted by people sniping and I could care less if I was out bid. I got all of the bids in I wanted to about 30 minutes before auction close.


Actually about 15 minutes before auction closing is when my forum started acting up.

If someone else was going for the same item and outbid you, you would have had to jump on again to bid. Just saying!


That's a good point. If someone was sniping you and you then had to re-bid, the forum outage could prevent you from entering an updated bid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auctioning off portions of $8k order 6 years 10 months ago #127

The 4 hours thing is kinda odd because many people will be sleeping/working at some point.
Please check out my trade post located here!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auctioning off portions of $8k order 6 years 10 months ago #128

Incognito wrote:

Kaledor wrote:

Rob F wrote: Here's my thought:

Everyone knew when the auction would end, so if you waited until a minute or two beforehand to try and post a reply and weren't able to get your bid in then tough s++t, your fault for waiting so long. Sorry if I come off like an ass by saying that but people had days to bid on this stuff. You wait until the last second and something goes wrong then too bad. I say you stick with the original rules and James gets the Orb. Note: I don't think any of my bids were impacted by people sniping and I could care less if I was out bid. I got all of the bids in I wanted to about 30 minutes before auction close.


Actually about 15 minutes before auction closing is when my forum started acting up.

If someone else was going for the same item and outbid you, you would have had to jump on again to bid. Just saying!


That's a good point. If someone was sniping you and you then had to re-bid, the forum outage could prevent you from entering an updated bid.


I don't think anyone was trying to snipe/outbid me - I wasn't on the forum during the crash, so I didn't know if I had won or not.
Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer

Awesome avatar by Mauve Shirt!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auctioning off portions of $8k order 6 years 10 months ago #129

Kirk Bauer wrote: The issue is that this type of auction, as well as the eBay style, encourages sniping (bidding at the last second) because it is the optimum strategy, at least assuming you know what you want to pay for something. You are less likely to win (as you can't react to an outbid) but more likely to pay a lower price if you do win.

I'm thinking next time I'll try a method where people post their bids publicly (like this one), and the auction for the $8k order will end when (1) we meet the $8k goal and (2) there have been no bids in 4 hours. This would eliminate any incentive for sniping and hopefully not crash the forums.

Thoughts?


I think EBay style would help with the crashing. For instance, I could have just bid $100 on the Onyx set instead of doing multiple bids. I could set my maximum bids well before closing time. That would require the ability to bid by PM, if it's just by posting, you're still telling people the exact amount to bid to snipe it at the last second.

For an auction like this, if you require four hours to pass without bids for it to end, it could go on for a really long time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auctioning off portions of $8k order 6 years 10 months ago #130

Mike Steele wrote:

Kirk Bauer wrote: The issue is that this type of auction, as well as the eBay style, encourages sniping (bidding at the last second) because it is the optimum strategy, at least assuming you know what you want to pay for something. You are less likely to win (as you can't react to an outbid) but more likely to pay a lower price if you do win.

I'm thinking next time I'll try a method where people post their bids publicly (like this one), and the auction for the $8k order will end when (1) we meet the $8k goal and (2) there have been no bids in 4 hours. This would eliminate any incentive for sniping and hopefully not crash the forums.

Thoughts?


I think EBay style would help with the crashing. For instance, I could have just bid $100 on the Onyx set instead of doing multiple bids. I could set my maximum bids well before closing time. That would require the ability to bid by PM, if it's just by posting, you're still telling people the exact amount to bid to snipe it at the last second.

For an auction like this, if you require four hours to pass without bids for it to end, it could go on for a really long time.


Each type of auction has it's strengths and weaknesses. It's too bad when tech issues have an impact.
Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer

Awesome avatar by Mauve Shirt!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auctioning off portions of $8k order 6 years 10 months ago #131

OK, perhaps 12 hours is the time it needs to go before ending. I'd also have to do minimum bid increments from the start so it doesn't go on too long.

I could do eBay style where you PM your bids to me, however I still believe sniping is the optimum strategy there. It doesn't give others a chance to raise their previous maximum bid. And people do that.
My online token shop: www.tdtavern.com

We buy, sell, and trade True Dungeon tokens. We also have a convenient consignment program where you can sell your own tokens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auctioning off portions of $8k order 6 years 10 months ago #132

All PMs have been sent with your totals and payment instructions. If I missed anybody please let me know.

All payments are due to by 10PM Eastern on Wednesday this week.

Thanks!
My online token shop: www.tdtavern.com

We buy, sell, and trade True Dungeon tokens. We also have a convenient consignment program where you can sell your own tokens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds