Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Old School D&D Nostalgia Time

So, can we fix Thor’s now? 3 years 2 months ago #157

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Allen John wrote:

SnakeEyes (Eric) wrote: But now you've stirred such fond memories...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Ten-year-old me tried to get into those a couple times, but they were just too tedious and complex for me at the time.

Thirteen-year-old me smashed the CD's and threw everything away after coming home from Bible camp with a pamphlet that included Dungeons and Dragons on a list of Satanic influences.


Was it "Dark Dungeons"?

That thing was awesome!


Thirty-three-year-old me has no freaking idea, but I don't think it was anything nearly that exciting. It was probably a full-page printout from some sort of teaching workbook the camp director bought that year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Allen John.

So, can we fix Thor’s now? 3 years 2 months ago #158

  • Druegar
  • Druegar's Avatar
  • Away
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • Enjoy Your Burrito
  • Posts: 9637
Click to learn what Dark Dungeons is .
a snippet from that link:
Dark Dungeons is possibly the most widely distributed piece of anti-game propaganda in the history of gaming. It was first produced by Chick Publications in 1984, during the heyday of anti-RPG paranoia, and print copies were available on request from Chick as recently as the mid-90s. Chick Publications, headed by reclusive comic author Jack T. Chick, also brings us booklets on the evils of everything from Catholicism and Buddhism to Halloween and reincarnation. Chick takes no prisoners, and isn't interested in playing nicely; they'd much rather convert you to their narrow world view, and possibly get you to sprinkle the world liberally with more of their pamphlets.

Dark Dungeons has been updated twice since its first appearance in 1984. The first update was to remove a reference describing the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis as occult books - a move that was possibly due to threats by the estates of both authors.
Have you looked it up in the TDb ?
Please post TDb corrections/suggestions in this thread .
If I write something in teal, it should not be taken seriously

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Druegar.

So, can we fix Thor’s now? 3 years 2 months ago #159

Druegar wrote: Click to learn what Dark Dungeons is .
a snippet from that link:
Dark Dungeons is possibly the most widely distributed piece of anti-game propaganda in the history of gaming. It was first produced by Chick Publications in 1984, during the heyday of anti-RPG paranoia, and print copies were available on request from Chick as recently as the mid-90s. Chick Publications, headed by reclusive comic author Jack T. Chick, also brings us booklets on the evils of everything from Catholicism and Buddhism to Halloween and reincarnation. Chick takes no prisoners, and isn't interested in playing nicely; they'd much rather convert you to their narrow world view, and possibly get you to sprinkle the world liberally with more of their pamphlets.

Dark Dungeons has been updated twice since its first appearance in 1984. The first update was to remove a reference describing the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis as occult books - a move that was possibly due to threats by the estates of both authors.


Got rekt by Gandalf himself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So, can we fix Thor’s now? 3 years 2 months ago #160

Azzy wrote:

Druegar wrote: Click to learn what Dark Dungeons is .
a snippet from that link:
Dark Dungeons is possibly the most widely distributed piece of anti-game propaganda in the history of gaming. It was first produced by Chick Publications in 1984, during the heyday of anti-RPG paranoia, and print copies were available on request from Chick as recently as the mid-90s. Chick Publications, headed by reclusive comic author Jack T. Chick, also brings us booklets on the evils of everything from Catholicism and Buddhism to Halloween and reincarnation. Chick takes no prisoners, and isn't interested in playing nicely; they'd much rather convert you to their narrow world view, and possibly get you to sprinkle the world liberally with more of their pamphlets.

Dark Dungeons has been updated twice since its first appearance in 1984. The first update was to remove a reference describing the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis as occult books - a move that was possibly due to threats by the estates of both authors.


Got rekt by Gandalf himself.


And Aslan
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So, can we fix Thor’s now? 3 years 1 month ago #161

Loved Pool of Radiance. My best friend had it on his PC Jr. Many an all nighter pulled playing that in the 80s.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So, can we fix Thor’s now? 3 years 1 month ago #162

haasdt wrote: Loved Pool of Radiance. My best friend had it on his PC Jr. Many an all nighter pulled playing that in the 80s.


Same here! Loved customizing my party (as much as you could with those graphics) as we progressed and collected new weapons and armor. I think I logged more hours playing D&D with those games than I did with my friends at the time.
Get your Character Class T-Shirts HERE! https://www.redbubble.com/people/snakeeyes0217/collections/723278-dungeon-adventure-wear

Get $10 off your first order from Trent Tokens with this code! http://i.refs.cc/RsPEAVgF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SnakeEyes (Eric).

So, can we fix Thor’s now? 3 years 1 month ago #163

SnakeEyes (Eric) wrote:

haasdt wrote: Loved Pool of Radiance. My best friend had it on his PC Jr. Many an all nighter pulled playing that in the 80s.


Same here! Loved customizing my party (as much as you could with those graphics) as we progressed and collected new weapons and armor. I think I logged more hours playing D&D with those games than I did with my friends at the time.

Omg, you guys are bringing back some old memories. I'm sure i gave up at least a year of my life playing those games.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So, can we fix Thor’s now? 3 years 1 month ago #164

Dave wrote:

SnakeEyes (Eric) wrote:

haasdt wrote: Loved Pool of Radiance. My best friend had it on his PC Jr. Many an all nighter pulled playing that in the 80s.


Same here! Loved customizing my party (as much as you could with those graphics) as we progressed and collected new weapons and armor. I think I logged more hours playing D&D with those games than I did with my friends at the time.

Omg, you guys are bringing back some old memories. I'm sure i gave up at least a year of my life playing those games.


And Secrets of the Silver Blades, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and Pools of Darkness.



Who else spent a ridiculous number of hours designing modules using Unlimited Adventures?
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So, can we fix Thor’s now? 3 years 1 month ago #165

*Raises hand vigorously*

I actually picked up a copy of Pools of Radiance about 5 years ago and was going to play it on my desktop to old time's sake. But my 3.5" floppy drive (yes i had an external USB one) wouldn't read the disks. I was highly disappointed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So, can we fix Thor’s now? 3 years 1 month ago #166

  • Picc
  • Picc's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • Remember when we were explorers?
  • Posts: 6572
Not gonna lie, I put in more time then my parents knew about with a few on them on my 386
Semper Gumby, Always flexible.

Sartre sits in in a coffee shop and asks for a coffee without cream. The barista apologizes “Sorry, we don't have any cream. Can I offer you a coffee without milk instead?”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So, can we fix Thor’s now? 3 years 1 month ago #167

haasdt wrote: *Raises hand vigorously*

I actually picked up a copy of Pools of Radiance about 5 years ago and was going to play it on my desktop to old time's sake. But my 3.5" floppy drive (yes i had an external USB one) wouldn't read the disks. I was highly disappointed.


Here you go. Digital download from Good Old Games.

www.gog.com/game/forgotten_realms_the_archives_collection_two
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So, can we fix Thor’s now? 3 years 1 month ago #168

haasdt wrote: Loved Pool of Radiance. My best friend had it on his PC Jr. Many an all nighter pulled playing that in the 80s.



Did you learn how to edit your characters using a hex editor on your save file? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds