Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Selling vs. Auction vs. What?

Selling vs. Auction vs. What? 3 years 4 months ago #1

Hello token forum!

For as long as I've been playing TD, I don't think I've ever come here - content to accumulate tokens and not ask for much.

But now it looks like I may have to sell my collection, and I have a few nice tokens. I honestly don't know where to go, what to do, or how to fairly appraise what I've got.

What advice can you give me? I'm looking for options right now, as I haven't finalized anything.
Life's a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Selling vs. Auction vs. What? 3 years 4 months ago #2

  • Ro-gan
  • Ro-gan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • He's No Use To Me Dead.
  • Posts: 1816

celestial_magpie wrote: Hello token forum!

For as long as I've been playing TD, I don't think I've ever come here - content to accumulate tokens and not ask for much.

But now it looks like I may have to sell my collection, and I have a few nice tokens. I honestly don't know where to go, what to do, or how to fairly appraise what I've got.

What advice can you give me? I'm looking for options right now, as I haven't finalized anything.


Not to slight the other seller stores here on the TD Forums (including myself), but I highly recommend going to Laz's Store and seeing what his prices are to get a very accurate estimate of what the higher end Tokens are worth.
"It's treason then."



Cranston's Character Generator for iDevices or Character Generator for Android

Amorgen's Excellent Excel Character Generator

Have you checked the Token DataBase ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Selling vs. Auction vs. What? 3 years 4 months ago #3

If you post your collection (probably you can just worry about GP, Rares and above, you can also mention "Plus around 100 commons") in a Google document I'm sure people would help you appraise it.

People frequently run auctions here in the forums - you could either split it up or sell it all as one lot - either way you'll probably get interest.

I'd caution you that forum store prices are asking prices.

Inventory isn't flying off the shelves at those prices, and store owners aren't willing to buy at those prices.

If you want to sell it on a particular timeframe you should not expect to get forum store asking prices for your items.

For example, many forum stores list complete Rod of Seven Parts for $2500+ - however multiples have sold in the last few months at auction for under $1,900. As another example recently a bunch of URs were lested on eBay at forum store asking prices, and very few sold: www.ebay.com/sch/new-moon-festival/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Finally - this is a good time to sell - interest and prices seem to be highest just before and after GenCon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Selling vs. Auction vs. What? 3 years 4 months ago #4

To mostly reiterate what Matthew said, you can look on the store threads here on the forums, or in some cases websites (mine is www.tdtavern.com ), to get an idea of asking prices. eBay can give you a better idea of selling prices, although eBay prices can be unusually high or low at times.

Personally I love buying collections (well, except for the part that many times we are losing a player) and then going through them and reselling them, so if you get me a list here on the forums or via email (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) I'd be happy to give you a price for the whole lot. That will be the least effort on your end.

To get the most money then as Matthew mentioned you could do a forum auction. List out all of the tokens individually or in groups and then set an end date and collect bids via the PM system. It will be the most work dealing with the bids and then shipping out tokens to individual buyers. But you'll get more money out of them.

Finally you could list them on eBay individually or one full lot. This is less management on your end but be warned eBay will take a 10% fee and then PayPal takes about 3-4%.

So it really comes down to a tradeoff between time and money; the more time you put into it the more money you are likely to receive.

I hope that helps!
My online token shop: www.tdtavern.com

We buy, sell, and trade True Dungeon tokens. We also have a convenient consignment program where you can sell your own tokens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Selling vs. Auction vs. What? 3 years 4 months ago #5

I might be totally wrong but I think I've seen a chunk of your collection and it was decent IIRC, can't remember if I was your coach or what, but you should post it here and get the good folks to openly appraise it and just make your decisions.

You'll get folks that want just a few tokens, you'll get folks that want the whole thing.
You'll get folks that are buying to resell and you'll get folks that are buying to keep.
You might find you have some generous friends or you might encounter a generous stranger.

Make sure you get a second opinion so you're happy with your deal.
Only you know what you'll be happy with but good information helps.


Good luck,
sorry you're having to sell.
Sweet a combat room, we won't take damage!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by valetutto.

Selling vs. Auction vs. What? 3 years 4 months ago #6

Thank you all very much for the feedback!

If I sell - these are the tokens I have of note:

URs: I don't have all the years, but I can get them

Ring of Evasion
+1 Mithral Long Sword
Gloves of Dexterity
Figurine of Power: Owl
Ioun Stone Garnet Cube (volunteer)
Ioun Stone Quicksilver Cube (volunteer)

Bracers of Archery (wooden "wondrous")

POTENTIAL: Amulet of Wonder (I’m trying to find the woman who gave it to me to use, so it might not be mine to sell)

Crafted/Transmuted:

Draco-Lich Claw Charm
Boots of Sure footing
+1 Scepter of Stirge
+1 Staff of Striking
+1 Orchorn Shortbow
Shade Cloak
Eel Skin Gloves
Potion of Distilled Healing x9
Fallen Star Mushroom x2


Rares:

Ioun Stone Garnet Sphere (volunteer) x2
Ioun Stone Ruby Rhombus
Ioun Sone Onyx sphere
Ioun Stone Beryl Prism

Ring of Reflexes
Ring of Protection +1 x2

Elven Chainmail
Platemail of the Depths
Topaz Infused Armor
Defender Shield

+1 Longbow
+1 Silver Heavy Mace
+1 Drow Blood Sword

Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Gloves of Repulsion x2

Harpy Claw Amulet
Amulet of the Wind
Necklace of Natural Armor

Earcuff of Salvation
Hat of Escape
Helmet of Fortitude
Belt of Retrieval
Boots of Free Action
Lyre of Echoes

Brawler’s Mug
Venom Runestone
200gp Underduck of Doom
+1 Hand Crossbow bolt of idiocy
Scroll Frost Spear


I also have miscellaneous uncommons and commons
Ioun stone emerald pyramid
Ioun stone iridescent sphere
Ioun stone garnet prism


And not many commons or uncommons - not anymore
Life's a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Selling vs. Auction vs. What? 3 years 4 months ago #7

Here's a stab at values

Ring of Evasion - $30 - Roarry just sold one of these at auction - you could get the sale price there.
+1 Mithral Long Sword - $45 - one just sold at auction at that price
Gloves of Dexterity - $70 - this can be exchanged for Gloves of the Cutpurse, this is a recent auction price
Figurine of Power: Owl - $125 - one just sold at auction at this price (it was ONYX)
Ioun Stone Garnet Cube (volunteer) - $150 - ebay comarable
Ioun Stone Quicksilver Cube (volunteer) - $300 - Hard to say - price on the quicksilver sphere has gone way up recently

Bracers of Archery (wooden "wondrous") - Not sure here - But I assume this is a 2003-6 Bracers of Archery - maybe $5 - maybe more to a hardcore collector who has a gap

POTENTIAL: Amulet of Wonder (I’m trying to find the woman who gave it to me to use, so it might not be mine to sell) - $125-150

Crafted/Transmuted:

Draco-Lich Claw Charm - $70
Boots of Sure footing - $3
+1 Scepter of Stirge - $3
+1 Staff of Striking - $3
+1 Orchorn Shortbow - $3
Shade Cloak - $5
Eel Skin Gloves - $5
Potion of Distilled Healing x9 - $4 each
Fallen Star Mushroom x2 - Not sure - probably about $50 each


Rares:

Ioun Stone Garnet Sphere (volunteer) x2 - $130 each
Ioun Stone Ruby Rhombus - $15
Ioun Sone Onyx sphere - $182 - one just sold at auction at that price
Ioun Stone Beryl Prism - $8

Ring of Reflexes - $2
Ring of Protection +1 x2 - $2

Elven Chainmail - $1
Platemail of the Depths - $1
Topaz Infused Armor - $1
Defender Shield - $10

+1 Longbow - $1
+1 Silver Heavy Mace - $1
+1 Drow Blood Sword - $1

Gauntlets of Ogre Power - $4 (just reprinted this year)
Gloves of Repulsion x2 - $1

Harpy Claw Amulet - $3
Amulet of the Wind - $1
Necklace of Natural Armor - $2

Earcuff of Salvation - $1
Hat of Escape - $1
Helmet of Fortitude -$1
Belt of Retrieval - $1
Boots of Free Action - $1
Lyre of Echoes - $1 (just reprinted this year)

Brawler’s Mug - $15
Venom Runestone - $1
200gp Underduck of Doom - $4
+1 Hand Crossbow bolt of idiocy - $1
Scroll Frost Spear - $1


I also have miscellaneous uncommons and commons
Ioun stone emerald pyramid
Ioun stone iridescent sphere
Ioun stone garnet prism

50 cents per uncommon, 5 cents per common.

And not many commons or uncommons - not anymore

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Selling vs. Auction vs. What? 3 years 4 months ago #8

For the wooden Bracers of archery, what's the symbol on the back? That will indicate the year, which will influence the value.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Selling vs. Auction vs. What? 3 years 4 months ago #9

Just asking for clarification....you can exchange the gloves of dexterity for gloves of the cut purse? Did I miss something during token creation for this year?
Fall down......Go boom!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Selling vs. Auction vs. What? 3 years 4 months ago #10

Adam Guay wrote: Just asking for clarification....you can exchange the gloves of dexterity for gloves of the cut purse? Did I miss something during token creation for this year?


Yup - I forget the exact discussion and how it unfolded, I seem to recall there was initially an idea of new Dex boosting gloves, and a new transmute based on them that would accept either the old or the new gloves. Then the transmute was scrapped, the formulation of the new gloves changed to mirror Gloves of the Brute, but the swap remained.

It's on the transmute page - valid through December 1st 2017:

truedungeon.com/transmuted-token-redemption

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Selling vs. Auction vs. What? 3 years 4 months ago #11

  • Ro-gan
  • Ro-gan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • He's No Use To Me Dead.
  • Posts: 1816

Matthew Hayward wrote: Here's a stab at values

Ring of Evasion - $30 - Roarry just sold one of these at auction - you could get the sale price there.
+1 Mithral Long Sword - $45 - one just sold at auction at that price
Gloves of Dexterity - $70 - this can be exchanged for Gloves of the Cutpurse, this is a recent auction price
Figurine of Power: Owl - $125 - one just sold at auction at this price (it was ONYX)
Ioun Stone Garnet Cube (volunteer) - $150 - ebay comarable
Ioun Stone Quicksilver Cube (volunteer) - $300 - Hard to say - price on the quicksilver sphere has gone way up recently

Bracers of Archery (wooden "wondrous") - Not sure here - But I assume this is a 2003-6 Bracers of Archery - maybe $5 - maybe more to a hardcore collector who has a gap

POTENTIAL: Amulet of Wonder (I’m trying to find the woman who gave it to me to use, so it might not be mine to sell) - $125-150

Crafted/Transmuted:

Draco-Lich Claw Charm - $70
Boots of Sure footing - $3
+1 Scepter of Stirge - $3
+1 Staff of Striking - $3
+1 Orchorn Shortbow - $3
Shade Cloak - $5
Eel Skin Gloves - $5
Potion of Distilled Healing x9 - $4 each
Fallen Star Mushroom x2 - Not sure - probably about $50 each


Rares:

Ioun Stone Garnet Sphere (volunteer) x2 - $130 each
Ioun Stone Ruby Rhombus - $15
Ioun Sone Onyx sphere - $182 - one just sold at auction at that price
Ioun Stone Beryl Prism - $8

Ring of Reflexes - $2
Ring of Protection +1 x2 - $2

Elven Chainmail - $1
Platemail of the Depths - $1
Topaz Infused Armor - $1
Defender Shield - $10

+1 Longbow - $1
+1 Silver Heavy Mace - $1
+1 Drow Blood Sword - $1

Gauntlets of Ogre Power - $4 (just reprinted this year)
Gloves of Repulsion x2 - $1

Harpy Claw Amulet - $3
Amulet of the Wind - $1
Necklace of Natural Armor - $2

Earcuff of Salvation - $1
Hat of Escape - $1
Helmet of Fortitude -$1
Belt of Retrieval - $1
Boots of Free Action - $1
Lyre of Echoes - $1 (just reprinted this year)

Brawler’s Mug - $15
Venom Runestone - $1
200gp Underduck of Doom - $4
+1 Hand Crossbow bolt of idiocy - $1
Scroll Frost Spear - $1


I also have miscellaneous uncommons and commons
Ioun stone emerald pyramid
Ioun stone iridescent sphere
Ioun stone garnet prism

50 cents per uncommon, 5 cents per common.

And not many commons or uncommons - not anymore


Matthew pretty much nailed all the prices exactly. I have no disagreement about his numbers.
"It's treason then."



Cranston's Character Generator for iDevices or Character Generator for Android

Amorgen's Excellent Excel Character Generator

Have you checked the Token DataBase ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Selling vs. Auction vs. What? 3 years 4 months ago #12

Some quibbles:

You can always get more if you're willing to take more time. Quick-sale versus long-haul prices are very different.

Shade Cloak - (one of my Top 10 favorite tokens, btw. Admittedly not the most powerful. But clerics should wear one for speak with dead, just on general RP principle, IMO): more like 10-15

Commons - every common is worth at least 15 cents if mulched into a trade token. However, that takes time and usually postage, and people put different values on their time. (I paid $4 for a 2010 Scythe because it was the last one I needed to complete my chippie set, and after 3 years of looking I lost patience.) So, see comment #1. But if you don't have many it doesn't much matter.
barkley.neo.rr.com -->see my trade thread HERE , my eBay store HERE or my web store HERE
"Ceci n'est pas une pipe" - Magritte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds