Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Horn of Plenty and other such OOP tokens

Re: Horn of Plenty and other such OOP tokens 7 years 11 months ago #37

You may find some type of middle ground by reprinting some tokens, but only including them in the treasure boxes. I wouldn't add the HoP to the box, but various older items would be neat. It would kind of add to the flavor of the dungeon, as you are finding items that were left by adventurers that may have died. Even if this was done with 2-4 tokens per year, and kept 'secret', it would be a neat twist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Horn of Plenty and other such OOP tokens 7 years 11 months ago #38

balthasar wrote: You may find some type of middle ground by reprinting some tokens, but only including them in the treasure boxes. I wouldn't add the HoP to the box, but various older items would be neat. It would kind of add to the flavor of the dungeon, as you are finding items that were left by adventurers that may have died. Even if this was done with 2-4 tokens per year, and kept 'secret', it would be a neat twist.


If the treasure box mix continues to be 1% ultra rares (and a few other goodies), then this really doesn't constitute middle ground. I am doing 4 runs, two that should have full CoGF benefit, two where I am likely the only player with one. I have a RoR,but not a HoP. My maximum treasure draw is 36.

So a .36% percent chance of pulling something special. Which may or may not be one of the reprints. Versus the ability to just pick it as a PYP. Not really middle ground at all.
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Horn of Plenty and other such OOP tokens 7 years 11 months ago #39

Mike Steele wrote:

Chris Von Wahlde wrote: I'm only a couple of years into playing and can say I'm against reprints. I missed those items... oh well. If I feel I want or need them I will pay or trade for them. I would much rather see new items every year than reprints. Don't get me wrong. I love the loot, but I love the game even more.


I've played the game from the very first year, and I'm in favor of selected reprints, and I don't see how having them damages the True Dungeon game. There have been UR reprints from the very start - 2005 was the first year with a full set of UR's, and there were several reprints in the 2006 Token Set. There have been UR reprints virtually every single year, and I don't think they have caused any harm to the game.

I thought Ektdar's Tinkering Tool was an outstanding choice for reprinting this year, giving newer players access to a key token for the Rogue class that had been out of print for years. I think that Widseth's Lute is overdue for reprinting, as it gives newer players the ability to both fight and sing as Bards. I also think tokens like Ring of Riches and Charm of Good Fortune are good choices for periodic reprints.

I do understand that there are very passionate viewpoints on both sides of this issue, and it is a challenge for Jeff to find a middle-ground that satisfies as much of the True Dungeon constituency as possible while also staying true to Jeff's vision for the game.

then the old dungeons need to be "reprinted" so everyone else can catch up on missing XP.
This will give us(newer people) access to dungeons XP that is no longer available.
delpchad.blogspot.com/

First solo Nightmare survivor-2014 Viper pit

Allergic to Lori

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Horn of Plenty and other such OOP tokens 7 years 11 months ago #40

You always have the chance of a HoP with the roll on the Amulet of Wonder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Horn of Plenty and other such OOP tokens 7 years 11 months ago #41

Mike Steele wrote:

Chris Von Wahlde wrote: I'm only a couple of years into playing and can say I'm against reprints. I missed those items... oh well. If I feel I want or need them I will pay or trade for them. I would much rather see new items every year than reprints. Don't get me wrong. I love the loot, but I love the game even more.


I've played the game from the very first year, and I'm in favor of selected reprints, and I don't see how having them damages the True Dungeon game. There have been UR reprints from the very start - 2005 was the first year with a full set of UR's, and there were several reprints in the 2006 Token Set. There have been UR reprints virtually every single year, and I don't think they have caused any harm to the game.

I thought Ektdar's Tinkering Tool was an outstanding choice for reprinting this year, giving newer players access to a key token for the Rogue class that had been out of print for years. I think that Widseth's Lute is overdue for reprinting, as it gives newer players the ability to both fight and sing as Bards. I also think tokens like Ring of Riches and Charm of Good Fortune are good choices for periodic reprints.

I do understand that there are very passionate viewpoints on both sides of this issue, and it is a challenge for Jeff to find a middle-ground that satisfies as much of the True Dungeon constituency as possible while also staying true to Jeff's vision for the game.


Never said it would harm the game. I understand that selective tokens will be reprinted from time to time... I just don't think that everything needs to be reprinted just because newer players missed out on them the first time around. Like I said before I missed out on all of those tokens as well... oh well. If I want/need an OOP token I will find a way to get it. I still prefer as mamy new and original tokens as possible.

I guess I just get tired of the "It's not fair/everyone gets a trophy" mentality. It has nothing to do with being fair... It's how the world works.

Do we reprint the RoSPs individual segments??? I wasn't there when it started... so I should be able to get in on that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Chris Von Wahlde.

Re: Horn of Plenty and other such OOP tokens 7 years 11 months ago #42

lazlo_hollyfeld1985 wrote:

Mike Steele wrote:

Chris Von Wahlde wrote: I'm only a couple of years into playing and can say I'm against reprints. I missed those items... oh well. If I feel I want or need them I will pay or trade for them. I would much rather see new items every year than reprints. Don't get me wrong. I love the loot, but I love the game even more.


I've played the game from the very first year, and I'm in favor of selected reprints, and I don't see how having them damages the True Dungeon game. There have been UR reprints from the very start - 2005 was the first year with a full set of UR's, and there were several reprints in the 2006 Token Set. There have been UR reprints virtually every single year, and I don't think they have caused any harm to the game.

I thought Ektdar's Tinkering Tool was an outstanding choice for reprinting this year, giving newer players access to a key token for the Rogue class that had been out of print for years. I think that Widseth's Lute is overdue for reprinting, as it gives newer players the ability to both fight and sing as Bards. I also think tokens like Ring of Riches and Charm of Good Fortune are good choices for periodic reprints.

I do understand that there are very passionate viewpoints on both sides of this issue, and it is a challenge for Jeff to find a middle-ground that satisfies as much of the True Dungeon constituency as possible while also staying true to Jeff's vision for the game.

then the old dungeons need to be "reprinted" so everyone else can catch up on missing XP.
This will give us(newer people) access to dungeons XP that is no longer available.


Chad, I really respect your opinions, but those are two separate issues, and are not equivalent. Reprinting of UR's has been a part of the game from the very start, and Jeff has said repeatedly that every UR other than the Horn of Plenty has the possibility of being reprinted. Trying to ban reprints now would be repealing a policy that Jeff has had in place from the very beginning of UR tokens. One of the very first UR tokens (Ring of Regeneration) from 2004 was even reprinted later in Chip form.

Rerunning old Dungeons and granting XP as if the players had run it back in the original year is clearly not the policy. The one time an old Dungeon has been rerun, it was slightly modified and renamed with all-new XP.

Both subjects can certainly be discussed, but there is no logical reason to try to link them together.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Horn of Plenty and other such OOP tokens 7 years 11 months ago #43

lynette von wahlde wrote: You always have the chance of a HoP with the roll on the Amulet of Wonder.


You don't always have a chance of that, because the special abilities of the Amulet of Wonder for the next few years at least don't include extra token draws.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Horn of Plenty and other such OOP tokens 7 years 11 months ago #44

Mike Steele wrote:

lazlo_hollyfeld1985 wrote:

Mike Steele wrote:

Chris Von Wahlde wrote: I'm only a couple of years into playing and can say I'm against reprints. I missed those items... oh well. If I feel I want or need them I will pay or trade for them. I would much rather see new items every year than reprints. Don't get me wrong. I love the loot, but I love the game even more.


I've played the game from the very first year, and I'm in favor of selected reprints, and I don't see how having them damages the True Dungeon game. There have been UR reprints from the very start - 2005 was the first year with a full set of UR's, and there were several reprints in the 2006 Token Set. There have been UR reprints virtually every single year, and I don't think they have caused any harm to the game.

I thought Ektdar's Tinkering Tool was an outstanding choice for reprinting this year, giving newer players access to a key token for the Rogue class that had been out of print for years. I think that Widseth's Lute is overdue for reprinting, as it gives newer players the ability to both fight and sing as Bards. I also think tokens like Ring of Riches and Charm of Good Fortune are good choices for periodic reprints.

I do understand that there are very passionate viewpoints on both sides of this issue, and it is a challenge for Jeff to find a middle-ground that satisfies as much of the True Dungeon constituency as possible while also staying true to Jeff's vision for the game.

then the old dungeons need to be "reprinted" so everyone else can catch up on missing XP.
This will give us(newer people) access to dungeons XP that is no longer available.


Chad, I really respect your opinions, but those are two separate issues, and are not equivalent. Reprinting of UR's has been a part of the game from the very start, and Jeff has said repeatedly that every UR other than the Horn of Plenty has the possibility of being reprinted. Trying to ban reprints now would be repealing a policy that Jeff has had in place from the very beginning of UR tokens. One of the very first UR tokens (Ring of Regeneration) from 2004 was even reprinted later in Chip form.

Rerunning old Dungeons and granting XP as if the players had run it back in the original year is clearly not the policy. The one time an old Dungeon has been rerun, it was slightly modified and renamed with all-new XP.

Both subjects can certainly be discussed, but there is no logical reason to try to link them together.

But by some peoples arguements they are the same. It is elitism. That is why some want the /all tokens reprinted.
Or I wasn't there so they should to make it fair ( I want there for early dungeons )
Might reprints I am okay with I don't like it though.
Reprint for relic/legendary I am okay with.
Reprints like widseths and Edktars I am not. The UR drum was made instead if reprint for Widseth. It gave a diff spin. I am okay with that.
delpchad.blogspot.com/

First solo Nightmare survivor-2014 Viper pit

Allergic to Lori

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Horn of Plenty and other such OOP tokens 7 years 11 months ago #45

Mike Steele wrote: [

Both subjects can certainly be discussed, but there is no logical reason to try to link them together.

I dont see why it isnt logical to reason them together
you have played forever, I have not

new people dont have the tokens I have..they want them reprinted.

it is not apples to apples...but it is not apples to rainbows either.
delpchad.blogspot.com/

First solo Nightmare survivor-2014 Viper pit

Allergic to Lori

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Horn of Plenty and other such OOP tokens 7 years 11 months ago #46

Mike Steele wrote:

lynette von wahlde wrote: You always have the chance of a HoP with the roll on the Amulet of Wonder.


You don't always have a chance of that, because the special abilities of the Amulet of Wonder for the next few years at least don't include extra token draws.

not every year, but lotsof them
tokendb.com/token/amulet-of-wonder/

2009,2010,2011,2013

4 out of 7 isnt bad.some of those years were double HoP(chance anyway)...
delpchad.blogspot.com/

First solo Nightmare survivor-2014 Viper pit

Allergic to Lori

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by lazlo_hollyfeld1985.

Re: Horn of Plenty and other such OOP tokens 7 years 11 months ago #47

lazlo_hollyfeld1985 wrote:

Mike Steele wrote:

lazlo_hollyfeld1985 wrote:

Mike Steele wrote:

Chris Von Wahlde wrote: I'm only a couple of years into playing and can say I'm against reprints. I missed those items... oh well. If I feel I want or need them I will pay or trade for them. I would much rather see new items every year than reprints. Don't get me wrong. I love the loot, but I love the game even more.


I've played the game from the very first year, and I'm in favor of selected reprints, and I don't see how having them damages the True Dungeon game. There have been UR reprints from the very start - 2005 was the first year with a full set of UR's, and there were several reprints in the 2006 Token Set. There have been UR reprints virtually every single year, and I don't think they have caused any harm to the game.

I thought Ektdar's Tinkering Tool was an outstanding choice for reprinting this year, giving newer players access to a key token for the Rogue class that had been out of print for years. I think that Widseth's Lute is overdue for reprinting, as it gives newer players the ability to both fight and sing as Bards. I also think tokens like Ring of Riches and Charm of Good Fortune are good choices for periodic reprints.

I do understand that there are very passionate viewpoints on both sides of this issue, and it is a challenge for Jeff to find a middle-ground that satisfies as much of the True Dungeon constituency as possible while also staying true to Jeff's vision for the game.

then the old dungeons need to be "reprinted" so everyone else can catch up on missing XP.
This will give us(newer people) access to dungeons XP that is no longer available.


Chad, I really respect your opinions, but those are two separate issues, and are not equivalent. Reprinting of UR's has been a part of the game from the very start, and Jeff has said repeatedly that every UR other than the Horn of Plenty has the possibility of being reprinted. Trying to ban reprints now would be repealing a policy that Jeff has had in place from the very beginning of UR tokens. One of the very first UR tokens (Ring of Regeneration) from 2004 was even reprinted later in Chip form.

Rerunning old Dungeons and granting XP as if the players had run it back in the original year is clearly not the policy. The one time an old Dungeon has been rerun, it was slightly modified and renamed with all-new XP.

Both subjects can certainly be discussed, but there is no logical reason to try to link them together.

But by some peoples arguements they are the same. It is elitism. That is why some want the /all tokens reprinted.
Or I wasn't there so they should to make it fair ( I want there for early dungeons )
Might reprints I am okay with I don't like it though.
Reprint for relic/legendary I am okay with.
Reprints like widseths and Edktars I am not. The UR drum was made instead if reprint for Widseth. It gave a diff spin. I am okay with that.


They may have some similarities since they both involve having played / bought tokens for a long time, but they aren't similar in that one (reprinting UR's) has been True Dungeon policy from the start, and the other (rerunning dungeons and granting XP as if the player had ran it in the original year) is clearly not True Dungeon policy since the exact opposite was done the one time a dungeon was reran. People may argue that they are the same, but that doesn't make them the same.

Other than that, we can agree to disagree. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Horn of Plenty and other such OOP tokens 7 years 11 months ago #48

Why is the HoP the only UR that will never be released again? Is there a thread that gives the backstory on that?
My online token shop: www.tdtavern.com

We buy, sell, and trade True Dungeon tokens. We also have a convenient consignment program where you can sell your own tokens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds