Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2021 Rare Feedback

2021 Rare Feedback 6 months 4 days ago #1

This year I thought it would be fun and beneficial to make the Common and Uncommon mostly generic (class-wise) and then create a Neck slot item for each class in the Rare classification. I am hoping this idea will encourage a lot of trading -- and provide fun for the Red-level folks. I realize this will create a lot of Philosopher's Stones, but we can tweak the 2021 Transmute Recipes so they need lots of PS.

truedungeon.com/files/Rare21beta.jpg
Token Conjurer
Geek Dreamweaver
Nerdomancer
Author of the never-to-be-released "The Secret of Trees"
The topic has been locked.

2021 Rare Feedback 6 months 4 days ago #2

Necklace of Carnage seems rather strong with no 1/room 1/game limitations? +10 damage potentially every turn is nearly up there with some of the relic necklaces.

+4 or +6 might be better numbers?
The topic has been locked.

2021 Rare Feedback 6 months 4 days ago #3

Scroll of Holy Fire is very interesting. My typical Bard build is +14 damage and +10 heal. So 1 point fire damage to all monsters plus 14 more divided up among all monsters. And 1 point of healing to every character plus 10 more points divided up among all characters.
The topic has been locked.

2021 Rare Feedback 6 months 4 days ago #4

Necklace of Carnage - Whoa... under VTD rules where with sufficient to-hit bonuses (e.g. +10 or so on HC, +15 or so on NM) this is worth 8 points of damage a round.

What this puck is worth in terms of average damage, given this to-hit chance:

Puck hit % : Both pucks hit % : Expected dmg per rnd : Comparison - expected dmg/rnd from Barb token
20% :  4% : 0.4 : 0.6
33% : 11% : 1.1 : 1
50% : 25% : 2.5 : 1.5
66% : 44% : 4.4 : 2
75% : 56% : 5.6 : 2.25
80% : 64% : 6.4 : 2.4
90% : 81% : 8.1 : 2.7

This token trounces the Barbarian one once the per-puck hit rate crosses around 40%.

I'd scale this down to 4 or 5, or make it 1 room / game, or 1 or 2 per game.
Last edit: by Matthew Hayward.
The topic has been locked.

2021 Rare Feedback 6 months 4 days ago #5

Wand of Fire Snake:

Prior best damage wand for Clerics are uncommon wands doing 5 points of damage.

Druids have only ever gotten one rare damage wand in 2017, Wand of Hornets, for 8 points of damage.
The topic has been locked.

2021 Rare Feedback 6 months 4 days ago #6

Transmute categories, class restrictions, hand icons look right to me.
The topic has been locked.

2021 Rare Feedback 6 months 4 days ago #7

+1 Dwarven Sling of Smarts was moved from 2 handed to 1 handed in the last iteration.

It has a strong damage wheel - only 0.5 less than +1 Bliss Longbow which is not usable by Cleric, Druid, and Rogue - and it adds +3 vs. Giants.

Suggest making this 2 handed.
The topic has been locked.

2021 Rare Feedback 6 months 4 days ago #8

There are two ranged weapons at Rare (and one thrown), none are usabe by Wizards.

If the +1 Repeating Dwarven Slingbow was made a Light Dwarven Slingbow, or the +1 Dwarven Sling of Smarts were made a typical sling (d4 damage wheel) then a Wizard could use one or the other.
The topic has been locked.

2021 Rare Feedback 6 months 4 days ago #9

Matthew Hayward wrote: Necklace of Carnage - Whoa... under VTD rules where with sufficient to-hit bonuses (e.g. +10 or so on HC, +15 or so on NM) this is worth 8 points of damage a round.

What this puck is worth in terms of average damage, given this to-hit chance:

Puck hit % : Both pucks hit % : Expected dmg per rnd : Comparison - expected dmg/rnd from Barb token

20% :  4% : 0.4 : 0.6
33% : 11% : 1.1 : 1
50% : 25% : 2.5 : 1.5
66% : 44% : 4.4 : 2
75% : 56% : 5.6 : 2.25
80% : 64% : 6.4 : 2.4
90% : 81% : 8.1 : 2.7

This token trounces the Barbarian one once the per-puck hit rate crosses around 40%.

I'd scale this down to 4 or 5, or make it 1 room / game, or 1 or 2 per game.


Even as someone who mains melee ranger I think Necklace of Carnage is too strong. Compare to using Charm Necklace, a UR, adding 3 copies of Draco-Lich Claw Charm (yes, I know you can't double up, this is for illustrative purposes) would only net you +6 damage. That would be a UR and 3 relics to get a lesser effect than this single rare. This is competitive with Pendant of the Yew for utility...way too good.
Last edit: by Daniel White.
The topic has been locked.

2021 Rare Feedback 6 months 4 days ago #10

edwin wrote: Scroll of Holy Fire is very interesting. My typical Bard build is +14 damage and +10 heal. So 1 point fire damage to all monsters plus 14 more divided up among all monsters. And 1 point of healing to every character plus 10 more points divided up among all characters.


Umm Edwin.

It's a Scroll. You don't get any boosts to it unless they are scroll boosts
The topic has been locked.

2021 Rare Feedback 6 months 4 days ago #11

Can Redstone be a thrown 1/combat? A rare weapon that you use once and is then turned in doesn't feel right
The topic has been locked.

2021 Rare Feedback 6 months 4 days ago #12

Matthew Hayward wrote: There are two ranged weapons at Rare (and one thrown), none are usabe by Wizards.

If the +1 Repeating Dwarven Slingbow was made a Light Dwarven Slingbow, or the +1 Dwarven Sling of Smarts were made a typical sling (d4 damage wheel) then a Wizard could use one or the other.


Wizard has NO weapons this time
The topic has been locked.
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds