Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Token Cost Discussion

Token Cost Discussion 2 months 6 days ago #1

Thread to discuss the subject topic.

Will it occur?

How much across the board?

Impact on token sales.

Etc.

Have at it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Token Cost Discussion 2 months 6 days ago #2

Sorry I am confused by this. Will what occur? Will tokens have a cost? YES! no question. Across the board of what? Are you suggesting a price increase per pack?
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Token Cost Discussion 2 months 6 days ago #3

jedibcg wrote: Sorry I am confused by this. Will what occur? Will tokens have a cost? YES! no question. Across the board of what? Are you suggesting a price increase per pack?


The idea was initially suggested in another thread that the cost of tokens would go up for.......reasons.

Edwin decided to create a new thread to discuss this idea further, rather than continue said discussion is that thread.
First ever death in True Horde
"Well, with you guarding 2 players, that means you take 90. Are you dead?"
-Incognito

My token shop/trade thread: Wade's Wide World of Wonder 

My Current Paladin Build 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Token Cost Discussion 2 months 6 days ago #4

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

jedibcg wrote: Sorry I am confused by this. Will what occur? Will tokens have a cost? YES! no question. Across the board of what? Are you suggesting a price increase per pack?


The idea was initially suggested in another thread that the cost of tokens would go up for.......reasons.

Edwin decided to create a new thread to discuss this idea further, rather than continue said discussion is that thread.


Thanks. That context is helpful. I have supported token increase for a few years now to help slow ticket cost increase. I don't know if it will happen. I would affect my token purchases one way or another because I have a TD budget. So either less from TD or less from secondary markets. Tickets at Gen Con I have already decided to cut back next year because I have not enjoyed E series enough to want to do the sealed version next year with my group.
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Token Cost Discussion 2 months 6 days ago #5

As literally stated, I think the question is: will the token cost discussion occur? It seems likely, but so far all we know for certain is that a meta-discussion about the thread topic will occur.

(BTW I totally support edwin's creation of this thread, and am just being overly literal for fun. It occurs to me that sometimes I have a strange idea of fun.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Token Cost Discussion 2 months 6 days ago #6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Token Cost Discussion 2 months 6 days ago #7

I’ve been playing since 2010 and token prices have not increased in that time.

However, it’s my sense that token sales have increased. The days when a single 8k order was almost a guarantee of getting a GT are over.

I have cut back on my GenCon runs as the ticket prices have risen. But I have added runs at GHC and Origins.

Other things that have not gone up - volunteer stipends for example. On the other hand TDs cost for hotel space and badges have increased.

Lots of moving parts to consider here.
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Token Cost Discussion 2 months 6 days ago #8

Doubtful - in fact tokens may get cheaper (it has happened before - 10 packs used to be $10), addition of dragon orbs made tokens “cheaper” (or at least you get more for the same price), adding an option to get 2 more PyPs in exchange for the onyx c/ic/r set made tokens “cheaper” in the same way.

TD would know it is time to raise prices when 8k auctions are routinely selling out their pieces for 10k or more (or one can see that the value of their components is up there). Another sign would be that they run out of tokens much sooner than expected.

Raising prices when that is not the case seems likely to reduce demand to me.

In any case - if td is seeing their customer numbers rise and their token sales increase they may have no reason to even contemplate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Token Cost Discussion 2 months 6 days ago #9

Speculation was based around such things as tariffs and cost of imported goods, as well as demand vs supply.

I will say that we dont know if auctions would fund with a higher price or not, but there is not a huge margin right now, though that could be because buyers are waiting for the next auction.
First ever death in True Horde
"Well, with you guarding 2 players, that means you take 90. Are you dead?"
-Incognito

My token shop/trade thread: Wade's Wide World of Wonder 

My Current Paladin Build 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Token Cost Discussion 2 months 6 days ago #10

Let's not bullshit ourselves. An increase in the price of tokens would have no bearing on the ticket price of a run. Leaving aside any discussion of the repeated "oh, the ticket price is being raised for X limited purchase" and then the new price becoming the standard, runs are a limited quantity. No matter what convention you take TD to, there's only going to be a limited amount of hours // space // personnel to schedule runs in. If TD is selling out runs, they have carte blanche to continue to jack the price up until the market won't bear it anymore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by isauteikisa. Reason: caps fix

Token Cost Discussion 2 months 6 days ago #11

isauteikisa wrote: Let's not bullshit ourselves. An increase in the price of tokens would have no bearing on the ticket price of a run. Leaving aside any discussion of the repeated "oh, the ticket price is being raised for X limited purchase" and then the new price becoming the standard, runs are a limited quantity. No matter what convention you take TD to, there's only going to be a limited amount of hours // space // personnel to schedule runs in. If TD is selling out runs, they have carte blanche to continue to jack the price up until the market won't bear it anymore.


That is true, though they also don't want to alienate their veterans.

A PAX West sellout was an impressive surprise (to me at least). GHC and Origins dont sell out. I don't think PAX South did either.
First ever death in True Horde
"Well, with you guarding 2 players, that means you take 90. Are you dead?"
-Incognito

My token shop/trade thread: Wade's Wide World of Wonder 

My Current Paladin Build 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Token Cost Discussion 2 months 6 days ago #12

isauteikisa wrote: Let's not bullshit ourselves. An increase in the price of tokens would have no bearing on the ticket price of a run. Leaving aside any discussion of the repeated "oh, the ticket price is being raised for X limited purchase" and then the new price becoming the standard, runs are a limited quantity. No matter what convention you take TD to, there's only going to be a limited amount of hours // space // personnel to schedule runs in. If TD is selling out runs, they have carte blanche to continue to jack the price up until the market won't bear it anymore.


Though price has increased at GHC and it is not fully selling out. Thursday of Origins is not either and the price has increased. Not saying you are wrong just pointing out price increases without sell outs.

That said I would still love to see tokens covering more of the the cost of things like the new sound system that was said to be the source of that last price increase at Gen Con.
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds