Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Update on Adventures at Origins

Update on Adventures at Origins 5 years 5 months ago #73

Singsalot wrote:

Brad Mortensen wrote: There was a lot more vet interest in Viper than I anticipated. But maybe that’s just me.


1) lots of people might have joined after its first go-round
2) for vets who do many runs, it'd be a change of pace either way.

I would've loved to have played it, and if I can, I'll play any throwback. Which is why I thought making the "Lite" out of recently experienced pieces (plus no/less/non-stackable XP, minimal Pulls, etc) would leave it to the newbs.


All that you suggest was in place for retro Viper (which I would consider “recent,” being only 4 yrs old at the time). IIRC, it had:

1. Only normal XP, and only if you hadn’t run the original
2. No TEs, unless you got a rare one in your starter pack

Some vets lobbied to get those restrictions lifted (especially the “no URTEs” one) but fortunately they failed.

And even so, a lot of vets played it. Some for the reasons you point out, and some because of other reasons, like it was relatively cheap.

"Ceci n'est pas une pipe" - Magritte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Update on Adventures at Origins 5 years 5 months ago #74

Brad Mortensen wrote:

Singsalot wrote:

Brad Mortensen wrote: There was a lot more vet interest in Viper than I anticipated. But maybe that’s just me.


1) lots of people might have joined after its first go-round
2) for vets who do many runs, it'd be a change of pace either way.

I would've loved to have played it, and if I can, I'll play any throwback. Which is why I thought making the "Lite" out of recently experienced pieces (plus no/less/non-stackable XP, minimal Pulls, etc) would leave it to the newbs.


All that you suggest was in place for retro Viper (which I would consider “recent,” being only 4 yrs old at the time). IIRC, it had:

1. Only normal XP, and only if you hadn’t run the original
2. No TEs, unless you got a rare one in your starter pack

Some vets lobbied to get those restrictions lifted (especially the “no URTEs” one) but fortunately they failed.

And even so, a lot of vets played it. Some for the reasons you point out, and some because of other reasons, like it was relatively cheap.


I started 3 years ago, so I missed it the first time around, I only ran it once mostly because I could not use TEs, but did want the run because it was a dungeon I had not done.
If TD does a run with all the same reasons for me to play as viper did, I will play it at Origins.
It will be harder to stop TEs being used this year since there are TEs in the packs players will be using (unless TD just uses 2018 packs for the sealed)

Either way I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Update on Adventures at Origins 5 years 5 months ago #75

The Falcon wrote: Separate from the rest of the discussion, it might be kinda cool if the "TD Lite" was a sort of highlight reel of the N-Series... Maybe have them cross the Rainbow bridge between Coaching and Training, receive Training from a Valkyrie, fight one Giant and rescue the prisoner, do a couple of the more unique puzzles, etc.


This is a great Idea,
The Rainbow Bridge is awesome,
And needs more Heat,
If we are done with it,
Let’s keep it
to cross to the Training Room.


Rainbow Bridge as part of training? Cool, I keep telling my groups I’ve never killed anyone in Training. This is my big chance. :P
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Harlax.

Update on Adventures at Origins 5 years 5 months ago #76

Just got an email that tokens are shipping out today!

Definitely excited, and sooner than anticipated!

Squeeeeee!
First ever death in True Horde
"Well, with you guarding 2 players, that means you take 90. Are you dead?"
-Incognito

My token shop/trade thread: Wade's Wide World of Wonder 

My Current Paladin Build 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Update on Adventures at Origins 5 years 5 months ago #77

Darn! I was hoping to do N2 and N3 at Origins since I didn't make it to Gencon. Oh well, I'm looking forward to the E series!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Update on Adventures at Origins 5 years 5 months ago #78

Harlax wrote: Rainbow Bridge as part of training? Cool, I keep telling my groups I’ve never killed anyone in Training. This is my big chance. :P


After all not supposed to be killer DM's far as i know nothing explicitly stated for us coaches..

Still sucks for those who couldn't make N2/N3 and had planned last year to do it at Origins who'll miss out.

I wanted to play Viper as i have fond memories, just couldn't find a ticket that fit vol schedule with everything else (hindsight glad i skipped and did play N1/N2/N3 at Gen Con). As a vet unless it's stated as newbies only or a demo dungeon only I'll aim to play any full TD adventure that is retro/lite/throwback. I want to play, i enjoy going through a dungeon several times to see what i missed on the 1st go through and see if there's different solutions to a room. Loot is nice and helps mentally subsidize cost of a standard run but i buy tickets 1st and foremost as i want to play and enjoy the scenery/tech/NPCs.
We're all the kind of people who enjoy the game on a "meta" level. We like talking about the game year-round. We buy tokens. We enjoy crafting. We get together during the off-season if we can. We are a very skewed demographic that way. -Raven

My trade thread:
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=61&id=248097#315668 Matt's Humble Trade

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Update on Adventures at Origins 5 years 5 months ago #79

Wow. I'm a little out of touch with things and was just checking in today. Gotta say I'm completely gutted by this news. Have been looking forward for 6 months+ the chance to play N2 and N3 at Origins since I was unable to make it to GENCON last year.

I understand you have your reasons Jeff, but this is a big blow....

Now I'll never get to experience what I heard were two excellent adventures and miss out on the XP to boot. If this announcement was made earlier I might have tried to go to Gameholecon or Pax South, although both would have been long shots.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Update on Adventures at Origins 5 years 5 months ago #80

David Harris wrote: Wow. I'm a little out of touch with things and was just checking in today. Gotta say I'm completely gutted by this news. Have been looking forward for 6 months+ the chance to play N2 and N3 at Origins since I was unable to make it to GENCON last year.

I understand you have your reasons Jeff, but this is a big blow....

Now I'll never get to experience what I heard were two excellent adventures and miss out on the XP to boot. If this announcement was made earlier I might have tried to go to Gameholecon or Pax South, although both would have been long shots.


They could come back as retro dungeons sometime. It wouldn’t be full XP, but it would be more than zero.
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds