Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Important Update! The Astral Adventure is now NEW

Important Update! The Astral Adventure is now NEW 2 years 11 months ago #25

I must admit, I was looking forward to anther "Best Of" run as they always bring back good memories and play with expectations when the solutions are slightly different or it was from a year that I missed. However, a prequel to this year's Gen Con runs sounds awesome! Can't wait to get my Bliss-on and this means it will happen sooner!
Get your Character Class T-Shirts HERE! https://www.redbubble.com/people/snakeeyes0217/collections/723278-dungeon-adventure-wear

Get $10 off your first order from Trent Tokens with this code! http://i.refs.cc/RsPEAVgF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Important Update! The Astral Adventure is now NEW 2 years 11 months ago #26

Arnold wrote: I can't speak for Brad, but the way I see it - newer players will see the benefits in a more immediate way. As a little XP goes a lot farther for them...


Exactly what I meant. At level 2, 1k XP is half a level.

It took me six years to get to L7 at 4K XP a year. At 6k/yr, a newbie can do it in less than four, and we vets can’t get those two years back.

In that context, newbies absolutely gain the benefit of speed that we didn’t.

Not complaining. Just sayin’.
barkley.neo.rr.com -->see my trade thread HERE , my eBay store HERE or my web store HERE
"Ceci n'est pas une pipe" - Magritte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Brad Mortensen.

Important Update! The Astral Adventure is now NEW 2 years 11 months ago #27

I wish I could make it to the new adventure, and if it is at all possible having the prelude adventure at GenCon would be excellent news.

I am kinda sad about the X.P. being missed out, sadly it's too far to travel.

I wish you the best of luck to all that make it there!
*mental note* always listen to Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Important Update! The Astral Adventure is now NEW 2 years 11 months ago #28

SnakeEyes (Eric) wrote: I must admit, I was looking forward to anther "Best Of" run as they always bring back good memories and play with expectations when the solutions are slightly different or it was from a year that I missed. However, a prequel to this year's Gen Con runs sounds awesome! Can't wait to get my Bliss-on and this means it will happen sooner!


I myself am of mixed views on this... being a relatively new player, realatively speaking compared to veterans, I like the idea of a “best of” since I have only been playing for 3 years as of this GenCon... however I really like the idea of having an adventure for transitioning between storylines.

Is there a max level to receive the extra experience? I think last time you had to be under level five?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Important Update! The Astral Adventure is now NEW 2 years 11 months ago #29

Mongo wrote:

SnakeEyes (Eric) wrote: I must admit, I was looking forward to anther "Best Of" run as they always bring back good memories and play with expectations when the solutions are slightly different or it was from a year that I missed. However, a prequel to this year's Gen Con runs sounds awesome! Can't wait to get my Bliss-on and this means it will happen sooner!


I myself am of mixed views on this... being a relatively new player, realatively speaking compared to veterans, I like the idea of a “best of” since I have only been playing for 3 years as of this GenCon... however I really like the idea of having an adventure for transitioning between storylines.

Is there a max level to receive the extra experience? I think last time you had to be under level five?

Thanks!


It sounds like this XP is for everyone. I'd be onboard with it being limited to a couple of levels below the top level, if it isn't at GENCON, but it sounds like it will be without restrictions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Important Update! The Astral Adventure is now NEW 2 years 11 months ago #30

Wow I can not believe how worked up people are getting about XP. Those that have been around longer have the advantage of having gotten tokens cheaply that advancing newbies will now pay higher prices for. Everyone Everyone and I mean Everyone newbies and 9th level players have to take time off work, spend money to go to Origins, and buy TD tickets SO no one has an unfair advantage.

If someone really wants to go to a convention, Make it happen. I wouldn’t go to GenCon if I didn’t have the volunteer benefits for TD.

Also as people advance in levels, they will have the same struggles going to higher levels the rest of us do.

All I’m saying is that there isn’t some conspiracy to elevate newbies above experienced players.
Please visit my fledgling token store.
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=583&id=247486

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bob Chasan.

Important Update! The Astral Adventure is now NEW 2 years 11 months ago #31

Mike Steele wrote: I don't expect to be able to make a non-GENCON adventure (nor will anyone in my group, including the 9th ranked player), so it's very disheartening to have exclusive XP outside of GENCON.


Mike - would you characterize True Dungeon's award to you of 2,000 XP for your participation in the non-Gen Con adventures at True Realm in 2009 as "very disheartening"?

truedungeon.com/top-players/adventures?user_id=3321

If the answer is no, how do you see this new occurrence of XP being awarded at non-Gen Con events as different from past occurrences which you have benefited from?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Matthew Hayward.

Important Update! The Astral Adventure is now NEW 2 years 11 months ago #32

Bob Chasan wrote: Wow I can not believe how worked up people are getting about XP. Those that have been around longer have the advantage of having gotten tokens cheaply that advancing newbies will now pay higher prices for. Everyone Everyone and I mean Everyone newbies and 9th level players have to take time off work, spend money to gogo Origins, and buy TD tickets SO no one has an unfair advantage.

If someone really wants to go to a convention, Make it happen. I wouldn’t go to GenCon if I didn’t have the volunteer benefits for TD.

Also as people advance in levels, they will have the same struggles going to higher levels the rest of us do.

All I’m saying is that there isn’t some conspiracy to elevate newbies above experienced players.


The XP argument is truly one of the silliest arguments we have here.

Most of the people who complain to restrict XP have received XP from one or more the the following sources:

1. XP at True Realm, a non-Gen Con event.
2. XP at True Heroes, a non-True Dungeon event (but rather a True Adventures event with different theming).
3. XP at at Gen Con So. Cal, a non-Gen Con Indy event.
4. XP from director's cut/redux/best of adventures presented at one of the above.

What is good for the goose is certainly not good for the gander for folks who have XP from those events but want to kick the ladder down behind them by preventing others from gaining XP at events they choose not to attend.

Rest assured that most of the community either welcomes new players and is pleased to see them leveling up, or doesn't care about player XP much at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Matthew Hayward.

Important Update! The Astral Adventure is now NEW 2 years 11 months ago #33

I think this change is overdue. Yeah, it's not like I'm in the top 10 or top 20, but I'm high enough and have played for enough years to know the effort it takes to get to the higher levels. But will I be upset if a newer player passes me by because I couldn't make an event. No. I can safely say that because I have been unable to attend some of the special events in the past and watched as those that could get more XP. Doesn't bother me in the least.

It's really not unlike other games or sports. Does the NFL cap annual stats after 12 games because that's all they played back in most of the earlier years? Of course not. TD is growing, so give a little more incentive to people who play more. I know not everyone agrees, and that's fine. This group rarely agrees on anything. Just my opinion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Important Update! The Astral Adventure is now NEW 2 years 11 months ago #34

Matthew Hayward wrote:

Bob Chasan wrote: Wow I can not believe how worked up people are getting about XP. Those that have been around longer have the advantage of having gotten tokens cheaply that advancing newbies will now pay higher prices for. Everyone Everyone and I mean Everyone newbies and 9th level players have to take time off work, spend money to gogo Origins, and buy TD tickets SO no one has an unfair advantage.

If someone really wants to go to a convention, Make it happen. I wouldn’t go to GenCon if I didn’t have the volunteer benefits for TD.

Also as people advance in levels, they will have the same struggles going to higher levels the rest of us do.

All I’m saying is that there isn’t some conspiracy to elevate newbies above experienced players.


The XP argument is truly one of the silliest arguments we have here.

Most of the people who complain to restrict XP have received XP from one or more the the following sources:

1. XP at True Realm, a non-Gen Con event.
2. XP at True Heroes, a non-True Dungeon event (but rather a True Adventures event with different theming).
3. XP at at Gen Con So. Cal, a non-Gen Con Indy event.
4. XP from director's cut/redux/best of adventures presented at one of the above.

What is good for the goose is certainly not good for the gander for folks who have XP from those events but want to kick the ladder down behind them by preventing others from gaining XP at events they choose not to attend.

Rest assured that most of the community either welcomes new players and is pleased to see them leveling up, or doesn't care about player XP much at all.


Matthew, perhaps I'm mistaken, but I think in all of those cases the max XP could still have been gotten from GENCON. You didn't have to go to those conventions to get the XP. In the case of True Heroes, that was still a GENCON event. That's what I was saying my preference still would be - you could get XP from multiple different conventions, but you'd only have to go to one to get the max XP for the year.

That's just my preference of course, and True Dungeon may well decide to go a different direction based on a number of factors. I do think that it might be a disincentive for people near the top of the XP - but of course that will have little to no effect on the True Dungeon bottom line as that's a fairly small percentage of players.

If True Dungeon were to have the Astral Adventure somehow at GENCON, to me that's the best of all worlds. It's still a big draw at Origins, since it will have the first run there.

I don't think it's productive for you to imply that those concerned about XP aren't welcoming to new players.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mike Steele.

Important Update! The Astral Adventure is now NEW 2 years 11 months ago #35

One of the most pernicious logical fallacies is to attack the other sides character or motives instead of addressing the issue at hand. Bad enough we see it in politics every day. It saddens me to see that here.

Even when I disagree with someone I try to remember that maybe we don’t have the same info, or a different perspective. And I try to look for areas of agreement. Like, we are all passionate about TD and love that it’s going to new cons and bringing in new players.

“Where you stand depends on where you sit.”

If you want to discuss pros and cons, fine. If you want to try to understand someone else’s position better, fine. If you want to shame long-time supporters and players and try to tell them they aren’t losing something here, when they clearly are, and they have no right to feeling that loss, then you’re violating Weaton’s Law.

IMO

And it’s unlikely that any bickering here will change Jeff’s mind. He seems like a guy who responds to reason more than vitriol.
barkley.neo.rr.com -->see my trade thread HERE , my eBay store HERE or my web store HERE
"Ceci n'est pas une pipe" - Magritte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Important Update! The Astral Adventure is now NEW 2 years 11 months ago #36

It's been a very long day. Thanks for your feedback on this. I'll talk to the team via phone on Saturday and get their input on different ideas. We should have a final decision by Monday morning.

Thanks again.
Token Conjurer
Geek Dreamweaver
Nerdomancer
Author of the never-to-be-released "The Secret of Trees"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds