Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: selling some tokens for $800

selling some tokens for $800 1 month 2 weeks ago #1

  • kurtreznor
  • kurtreznor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • 11th Level
  • Supporter
  • hail eris! all hail discordia!
  • Posts: 3580
I am going to Disney World with the wife and kids this summer and need a little extra cash so we can build lightsabers or droids. $800 is what I need to be comfortable with these big purchases, so look at my trade list below and PM a 'reverse offer'; ie. what all do you want from me for $800?
Best offer I receive by the 6th (Revenge of the Sixth) wins!

I can mail tokens (add $10) or deliver in person at Gencon.

TRADE LIST (PM how much of this list you would want in exchange for $800):

Ring of Heroism
Charm of Heroism
+3 Turkey Leg of Smiting
Blessed Redoubt Mail
Girdle of Frost Giant Strength x2

1st Charm of Transmorph
Alchemist Pouch

Ring of Havoc
Pants of Focus
Lucky Kilt
Butterfly Cloak
Belt of the Deadshot
Death Knight Mail
Ioun Stone Flourite Sphere
Gloves of the Deadshot
Lucky Charm
Tome of Useful Scrolls
Ioun Stone Mystic Orb
Charm of Spell Storing
Amulet of Aiming
Ring of the Savant
+2 Staff of Power



STALKER BITS
Figurine of Power: Stalker Squirrel x2
Ioun Stone Stalker's Orb x6
Ioun Stone Stalker's Prism x2
Stalker's Amulet
Stalker's Battle Coat x3
Stalker's Bead x3
Stalker's Belt
Stalker's Bracelets x2
Stalker's Charm of Grace x3
Stalker's Cloak x3
Stalker's Earcuff x8
Stalker's Faerie Charm x3
Stalker's Gloves
Stalker's Greaves x10
Stalker's Headband x5
Stalker's Pants x6
Stalker's Ring x4
Stalker's Shirt x5
Stalker's Shoes x5
Stalker's Spectacles x3
this is not a signature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kurtreznor.

selling some tokens for $800 1 month 1 week ago #2

  • kurtreznor
  • kurtreznor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • 11th Level
  • Supporter
  • hail eris! all hail discordia!
  • Posts: 3580
Just to be clear, I WILL accept an offer if I receive any. So, if the only offer I get is 'everything in the list', that person will get everything I listed for $800
this is not a signature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

selling some tokens for $800 1 month 1 week ago #3

Good luck. It's a rough market for sellers right now, think you'll be hard pressed to get $800 for everything but hopefully I'm wrong.
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

selling some tokens for $800 1 month 1 week ago #4

Rob F wrote: Good luck. It's a rough market for sellers right now, think you'll be hard pressed to get $800 for everything but hopefully I'm wrong.


Which is a shame. I remember tokens used to sell for a solid amount. But now they seem to be worth less nowadays, and yet the ticket prices keep going up.

I hope you find a good offer, those tokens should be worth that and more.
Paladin of the one true God.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

selling some tokens for $800 1 month 1 week ago #5

If you happen to find someone looking for all of those tokens, you'll get 800

If not I hope you get half of that.
First ever death in True Horde
"Well, with you guarding 2 players, that means you take 90. Are you dead?"
-Incognito

My token shop/trade thread: Wade's Wide World of Wonder 

My Current Paladin Build 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

selling some tokens for $800 1 month 1 week ago #6

Edward Deangelis wrote:

Rob F wrote: Good luck. It's a rough market for sellers right now, think you'll be hard pressed to get $800 for everything but hopefully I'm wrong.


Which is a shame. I remember tokens used to sell for a solid amount. But now they seem to be worth less nowadays, and yet the ticket prices keep going up.

I hope you find a good offer, those tokens should be worth that and more.


It is a shame. Just too much supply and more on the way with this weekends VTD. Need more new players. Need to make the game challenging again at higher levels (seald runs are much more fun then runs where you can equip everything, so why shoot for better Tokens?). Need a player vs. player format of some sort where players can battle it out for top of leaderboard. Have TD award prizes and experience to top leaderboard finishers. Need a Token rotational format of some sort that limits certain year Tokens. Prizes/better experience for playing this format. Cuz let's face it, playing Nightmare now is utterly boring for all the big soenders. I also like what Jeff was trying to to do with Mythic tier, basically a whole new game. Cuz right now it's too hard to scale dungeons to make the game fun and challenging. Too hard even to redo player cards cuz there's so many different Tokens and game design was never a focus. Which was fine for early years but now it's beast too wild to tame. I hope Jeff keeps with the though of a whole new game at Mythic tier and with a huge focus on long term Token/game/dungeon design. I think the TD crew can do it. They can innovate, they did with VTD. Oh, and I would stop seeding the treasure boxes with any 1K, 2K order bonus Tokens, no more completion token transmutes in the boxes, no more multi year transmutes in the boxes. Just UR, Relic, and (VERY rarely) Legendary. Ok done with my rant, off to mow the lawn!
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

selling some tokens for $800 1 month 1 week ago #7

  • kurtreznor
  • kurtreznor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • 11th Level
  • Supporter
  • hail eris! all hail discordia!
  • Posts: 3580

Edward Deangelis wrote: I hope you find a good offer, those tokens should be worth that and more.


That is what I was counting on; I mean, at $100/relic (not counting turkey leg) and $20/UR, that hits $800.

I wasn't counting on people not interested in buying tokens at any price.
this is not a signature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

selling some tokens for $800 1 month 1 week ago #8

I pretty much agree with your rant. I love VTD, but it does not attract new players and its pretty much the same core group of people playing month to month who by now have most of the tokens they need. Your list is absolutely worth more than $800, but only if someone needs the tokens. Really hope Jeff is right about next year getting back to normal in terms of in person cons.

Also, Mythic Core can't come soon enough. Honestly, if possible, they shouldn't even wait until next year to introduce it. URs are so plentiful at this point they they're pretty much treated as just an extension of C, UC and R and we need an outlet to turn them into trade goods.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

selling some tokens for $800 1 month 1 week ago #9

Rob F wrote:

Edward Deangelis wrote:

Rob F wrote: Good luck. It's a rough market for sellers right now, think you'll be hard pressed to get $800 for everything but hopefully I'm wrong.


Which is a shame. I remember tokens used to sell for a solid amount. But now they seem to be worth less nowadays, and yet the ticket prices keep going up.

I hope you find a good offer, those tokens should be worth that and more.


It is a shame. Just too much supply and more on the way with this weekends VTD. Need more new players. Need to make the game challenging again at higher levels (seald runs are much more fun then runs where you can equip everything, so why shoot for better Tokens?). Need a player vs. player format of some sort where players can battle it out for top of leaderboard. Have TD award prizes and experience to top leaderboard finishers. Need a Token rotational format of some sort that limits certain year Tokens. Prizes/better experience for playing this format. Cuz let's face it, playing Nightmare now is utterly boring for all the big soenders. I also like what Jeff was trying to to do with Mythic tier, basically a whole new game. Cuz right now it's too hard to scale dungeons to make the game fun and challenging. Too hard even to redo player cards cuz there's so many different Tokens and game design was never a focus. Which was fine for early years but now it's beast too wild to tame. I hope Jeff keeps with the though of a whole new game at Mythic tier and with a huge focus on long term Token/game/dungeon design. I think the TD crew can do it. They can innovate, they did with VTD. Oh, and I would stop seeding the treasure boxes with any 1K, 2K order bonus Tokens, no more completion token transmutes in the boxes, no more multi year transmutes in the boxes. Just UR, Relic, and (VERY rarely) Legendary. Ok done with my rant, off to mow the lawn!


As I mentioned before, I'd go further with the treasure boxes and not include standard UR/Relic/Legendary tokens either. I'd move to having the treasure boxes be separate tokens from those - if we want UR/Relic/Legendary tokens in them, why not include ones that are unique to the treasure boxes instead. That would significantly reduce supply of those tokens, hopefully to more closely match demand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

selling some tokens for $800 1 month 1 week ago #10

Based on my token sale, you might get $800 out of that, but it's unlikely any one person wants all that.

It's incredible to see that list of tokens, which I would eyeball at nearly $2000 in retail value a few years ago not be snapped up for $800.

It's a real shame what's happened to token values.*

What value can Girdle of Frost Giant strength offer when Belt of the Brave is $6 and Omni tokens are on the horizon in case of transmutes.

What value can UR/Relic +1 level tokens hold when Kilt of Dungeonbane + Skull pairs aren't selling at ~$600.

What value can Blessed Redoubt Mail have when it's outclassed in many builds by both Lucky Light Mail and the Deathknight URs which go for $50 or less.

To give you some price points on recent individual transactions, I've sold within the last few months:
+2 Staff of Power - $20
Deadshot Set (all three items) - $284
Ioun Stone Flourite Cube - $23
Ioun Stone Mystic Orb - $25
Lucky Charm - $75
Tome of Useful Scrolls - $67

And have no takers on:
Butterfly Cloak at $52
Ring of the Savant at $35


* This is a subjective assessment, some people may find what's happening to token values to be neutral or positive - but I think it's been bad for most players and collectors, and will eventually be bad for TD and the game if it's not already so.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Matthew Hayward.

selling some tokens for $800 1 month 1 week ago #11

My view is that the game invited collectors, grew, and collecting has been largely driven out by the proliferation of tokens. Tokens compete with each other. Not just in a given slot but from a budget standpoint and because the ability to move up in challenge level isn't that hard.

Nobody needs to play above Hardcore and, really, don't need to do that. Some of us choose to challenge ourselves because it justifies the collections rather than the challenge producing a need for the collections.

Sure, if there was a player growth at the rate of token production, maybe token economy could absorb the production. But, the production rate is massive. We don't need 20 more URs every year. There was demand for a while as players moved up steps in the pyramid, but it wasn't sustainable. Real usefulness of a new year of URs would be to like reprint 1 and have 3 new ones. Relics are ubiquitous. Legendaries are far more common than people seem to think and far more common than I believe anyone ever expected them to be.

May question why it worked previously. It worked previously because the total pool of tokens was so much smaller. With fewer different tokens available, any effect was more likely to be different and end up mattering to builds. Now, it was inevitable in all likelihood that rarities would get pushed down. Once upon a time, rares mattered to token tycoons; you can look at the really old trade threads. We had the UR/relic era. We are now in the post relic era.

Both the increase in players' average draws due to proliferation of TEs and the increase in number of tickets due to VTD vastly expand treasure in circulation. If we were getting 17 draws for only in person events, the supply would be massively less. I don't see any fix for this as people (not just players) care too much about TEs.

VTD also led to a sales spike where correction is not surprising. Company I work for is getting killed because it didn't manage a Covid related spike in sales and didn't plan for a correction.

Then, old stuff is generally weak. Power inflation has not been surprising as it's the norm for games. Whatever the scarcity of old stuff, if it doesn't go into builds, it's going to get devalued and devalued a second time as the player base shifts more and more to play-focused players rather than collecting-focused players. The power inflation in this game has been rather extreme, which only accelerated the deterioration of the secondary market and, as folks have pointed out repeatedly, actually undermines the future market for tokens as player expectations shift.

Layering Mythic on the game as essentially a separate game is interesting as a way to try to live with the power inflation, but it's not accessible enough and very awkward to implement. Token rotation is just an annoying patch that won't likely solve anything. This is not a competitive game in the same way that other games are. Players compete with each other for bling, and they compete against dungeon challenge levels. But, these are all player driven choices. We already see that many people who could be challenging themselves (maybe) at Epic choose to be unchallenged at Nightmare. Sometimes, I'm one of those players as I miscalculate for a theme run or end up running with groups that don't want to struggle.

As to challenge level, well, so far this week, Epic has been about right within the context of historicals. It's possible to be challenged, but you have to risk failure. It's so easy to build a collection that makes failure impossible given that we choose our own challenge level. But, while every aspect of the game interrelates to every other aspect in some way, I'd rate this as less relevant to why token valuations for swaths of tokens have crashed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

selling some tokens for $800 1 month 1 week ago #12

I also believe the massive increase in the cost of the runs over the past few years is to blame. I understand things get more expensive, but these new costs, combined with the lack of availability for runs due to time and space constraints during the cons keep the player base from growing as fast as it could, and fewer players means fewer people willing to drop money for tokens to build themselves up.
Paladin of the one true God.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds