Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Virtual Dice Added to Virtual True Dungeon! 5 modules over 5 months!

Virtual Dice Added to Virtual True Dungeon! 5 modules over 5 months! 1 month 1 week ago #13

  • NightGod
  • NightGod's Avatar
  • Away
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • It's only push damage...how bad could it be?!
  • Posts: 868

jpotter wrote:

bpsymington wrote: My wizard would always check off spells that are cast, but would figure out the total on paper and give it to the DM. I was almost always casting two spells at a time, sometimes three, so I would need to keep track myself. Plus I usually added dusts to boost my damage.

Maybe we could have a tutorial session, or a training video?


You have been over reporting and under reporting your damage then. For a while now the apps have been calculating DR and resistances and vulnerabilities. Unless you figured these out somehow and had been accounting for them.

I read it as they were giving the DM a total damage for all spells cast, rather than two separate numbers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Virtual Dice Added to Virtual True Dungeon! 5 modules over 5 months! 1 month 1 week ago #14

I look forward to the new system and more of the combat being automated. With respect to people not using the app, I know it happens. Not often, but when I hear wizards report the same damage in a room where I know the monster SR is high, as in other rooms, then i know they're not using the app.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Virtual Dice Added to Virtual True Dungeon! 5 modules over 5 months! 1 month 1 week ago #15

Thanks for your feedback.

This new system will only display Attack Rolls, Saving Throws and Initiative. Spell damage will still be done the old way.

And yes, something like "Prayer bonus" must still be toggled individually by each player. And, just like in real life, a player can not take advantage of said "Prayer" unless the party does not work well together.

And if someone hits a button too early, the VDM can just declare that the result is not going to be used, and a new real round of combat can be started shortly thereafter. No worries. This is just a tool for the VDM, and not any kind of record-keeper for hit points. VDMs can use the tool well to make combat more fun and efficient, but it is just a tool -- and not a process that demands any kind of result. That final results are still up to the VDM.

So -- if a Wizard accidentally hits an attack button (and tells the VDM before the result is shown) the VDM can just remove (by hand) any attack damage done by the Wizard from the Total Damage shown. And then the Wizard can just use the app/website to do a spell attack.

We SHOULD be able to playtest this during V6c, and then tweak it for January.
Token Conjurer
Geek Dreamweaver
Nerdomancer
Author of the never-to-be-released "The Secret of Trees"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Virtual Dice Added to Virtual True Dungeon! 5 modules over 5 months! 1 month 1 week ago #16

Jeff Martin wrote: Thanks for your feedback.

This new system will only display Attack Rolls, Saving Throws and Initiative. Spell damage will still be done the old way.

And yes, something like "Prayer bonus" must still be toggled individually by each player. And, just like in real life, a player can not take advantage of said "Prayer" unless the party does not work well together.

And if someone hits a button too early, the VDM can just declare that the result is not going to be used, and a new real round of combat can be started shortly thereafter. No worries. This is just a tool for the VDM, and not any kind of record-keeper for hit points. VDMs can use the tool well to make combat more fun and efficient, but it is just a tool -- and not a process that demands any kind of result. That final results are still up to the VDM.

So -- if a Wizard accidentally hits an attack button (and tells the VDM before the result is shown) the VDM can just remove (by hand) any attack damage done by the Wizard from the Total Damage shown. And then the Wizard can just use the app/website to do a spell attack.

We SHOULD be able to playtest this during V6c, and then tweak it for January.


Jeff...I really like where the app is going with Vtd...

My concern with the spells is if a spell is selected to be used...if it's not needed to be cast there is no way to get it back in the app...where an unused attack from a fighter really costs nothing by not using an ability that gets marked off or spent hit points.
Fall down......Go boom!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Virtual Dice Added to Virtual True Dungeon! 5 modules over 5 months! 1 month 1 week ago #17

OK cool, this sounds like a very smart approach. Thanks! :)
dmrzzz's trade thread

Yes, my AC is lower than the Wizard's. No regrets!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Virtual Dice Added to Virtual True Dungeon! 5 modules over 5 months! 1 month 1 week ago #18

Adam Guay wrote:

Jeff Martin wrote: Thanks for your feedback.

This new system will only display Attack Rolls, Saving Throws and Initiative. Spell damage will still be done the old way.

And yes, something like "Prayer bonus" must still be toggled individually by each player. And, just like in real life, a player can not take advantage of said "Prayer" unless the party does not work well together.

And if someone hits a button too early, the VDM can just declare that the result is not going to be used, and a new real round of combat can be started shortly thereafter. No worries. This is just a tool for the VDM, and not any kind of record-keeper for hit points. VDMs can use the tool well to make combat more fun and efficient, but it is just a tool -- and not a process that demands any kind of result. That final results are still up to the VDM.

So -- if a Wizard accidentally hits an attack button (and tells the VDM before the result is shown) the VDM can just remove (by hand) any attack damage done by the Wizard from the Total Damage shown. And then the Wizard can just use the app/website to do a spell attack.

We SHOULD be able to playtest this during V6c, and then tweak it for January.


Jeff...I really like where the app is going with Vtd...

My concern with the spells is if a spell is selected to be used...if it's not needed to be cast there is no way to get it back in the app...where an unused attack from a fighter really costs nothing by not using an ability that gets marked off or spent hit points.


I don't understand how our new virtual dice system would interact with spells in any way. If there is an issue, it sounds like it should be addressed with the app/website independently from the dice system.
Token Conjurer
Geek Dreamweaver
Nerdomancer
Author of the never-to-be-released "The Secret of Trees"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Virtual Dice Added to Virtual True Dungeon! 5 modules over 5 months! 1 month 1 week ago #19

Jeff Martin wrote:

Adam Guay wrote:

Jeff Martin wrote: Thanks for your feedback.

This new system will only display Attack Rolls, Saving Throws and Initiative. Spell damage will still be done the old way.

And yes, something like "Prayer bonus" must still be toggled individually by each player. And, just like in real life, a player can not take advantage of said "Prayer" unless the party does not work well together.

And if someone hits a button too early, the VDM can just declare that the result is not going to be used, and a new real round of combat can be started shortly thereafter. No worries. This is just a tool for the VDM, and not any kind of record-keeper for hit points. VDMs can use the tool well to make combat more fun and efficient, but it is just a tool -- and not a process that demands any kind of result. That final results are still up to the VDM.

So -- if a Wizard accidentally hits an attack button (and tells the VDM before the result is shown) the VDM can just remove (by hand) any attack damage done by the Wizard from the Total Damage shown. And then the Wizard can just use the app/website to do a spell attack.

We SHOULD be able to playtest this during V6c, and then tweak it for January.


Jeff...I really like where the app is going with Vtd...

My concern with the spells is if a spell is selected to be used...if it's not needed to be cast there is no way to get it back in the app...where an unused attack from a fighter really costs nothing by not using an ability that gets marked off or spent hit points.


I don't understand how our new virtual dice system would interact with spells in any way. If there is an issue, it sounds like it should be addressed with the app/website independently from the dice system.


Ok, I will try to discuss with people at gamehole and go from there...Thanks!
Fall down......Go boom!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Virtual Dice Added to Virtual True Dungeon! 5 modules over 5 months! 1 month 1 week ago #20

It sounds to me that the issue with not being able to get spells back is something that needs to be worked out with the app/web-site. I don't think this new system is going to have any impact (positive or negative) on that issue.

One possible solution on the apps is just to remove any constraints around the "cast" and "cast no mark" buttons. Let the wizard decide if they are using up a spell or not. Sure, they can cheat, but there's so much of TD that's an honor system already, what's the difference. If you're casting a spell in advance, just use "cast no mark". Then if you actually use the spell, go back and click on "cast" and that will mark it off your list. Might be easier than trying to build an "unmark" feature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Dave.

Virtual Dice Added to Virtual True Dungeon! 5 modules over 5 months! 1 month 1 week ago #21

Ok, so some fun corner cases to consider:

- rogue’s flank ability - in VTD, it lets another player roll 3 times and keep result of their choice.

- fighters reroll ability

- questors reroll ability

- priority of fighter with questors

- changing weapons in middle of fight (e.g rogue running out of daggers and moving to mighty bow)

-misclicks (melee vs ranged. Monster a vs b with different acs)

(If it calculates a “miss” as no damage..)
- monster AC modified due to tokens (forget the ones)

- AC modification due to party action. E.g prone NPC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Lequinian.

Virtual Dice Added to Virtual True Dungeon! 5 modules over 5 months! 1 month 1 week ago #22

  • bpsymington
  • bpsymington's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer
  • Posts: 15656

jpotter wrote:

bpsymington wrote: My wizard would always check off spells that are cast, but would figure out the total on paper and give it to the DM. I was almost always casting two spells at a time, sometimes three, so I would need to keep track myself. Plus I usually added dusts to boost my damage.

Maybe we could have a tutorial session, or a training video?


You have been over reporting and under reporting your damage then. For a while now the apps have been calculating DR and resistances and vulnerabilities. Unless you figured these out somehow and had been accounting for them.


When I knew about resistance/vulnerabilities I would factor them in.
Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer

Awesome avatar by Mauve Shirt!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Virtual Dice Added to Virtual True Dungeon! 5 modules over 5 months! 1 month 1 week ago #23

  • bpsymington
  • bpsymington's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 9th Level
  • Supporter
  • Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer
  • Posts: 15656

Jeff Martin wrote: Thanks for your feedback.

This new system will only display Attack Rolls, Saving Throws and Initiative. Spell damage will still be done the old way.

And yes, something like "Prayer bonus" must still be toggled individually by each player. And, just like in real life, a player can not take advantage of said "Prayer" unless the party does not work well together.

And if someone hits a button too early, the VDM can just declare that the result is not going to be used, and a new real round of combat can be started shortly thereafter. No worries. This is just a tool for the VDM, and not any kind of record-keeper for hit points. VDMs can use the tool well to make combat more fun and efficient, but it is just a tool -- and not a process that demands any kind of result. That final results are still up to the VDM.

So -- if a Wizard accidentally hits an attack button (and tells the VDM before the result is shown) the VDM can just remove (by hand) any attack damage done by the Wizard from the Total Damage shown. And then the Wizard can just use the app/website to do a spell attack.

We SHOULD be able to playtest this during V6c, and then tweak it for January.


Thanks for the update! Sounds like it is going to be an awesome system.
Follow me on Instagram @runningboardgamer

Awesome avatar by Mauve Shirt!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Virtual Dice Added to Virtual True Dungeon! 5 modules over 5 months! 1 month 1 week ago #24

I'm also very excited about 5 new VTD adventures! Or rather, I would be, except that they're only running one time each, and the first two are on holiday weekends when I already have plans. I really loved that we had more than one chance to do each VTD this year, since scheduling it at home is very different than making it happen at a con. It looks like I may be missing half the adventures this year. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds