Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Was there / what was the GT bonus?

Was there / what was the GT bonus? 3 years 6 months ago #25

  • James
  • James's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 7th Level
  • Supporter
  • Never let me play druid.
  • Posts: 1546
Kirk Patrick lives in madison and will be attending GHC always still a chance book three comes out then, *crosses fingers*.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was there / what was the GT bonus? 3 years 6 months ago #26

From a power creep sustainability view point, the event year long item is the way to go I think.
You can have more fun with them instead of worrying about how a fun decision might impact the future.

Yes I also think it would be used as a platform to test out new things.

I don't think it will reduce demand for GT runs because the bag of tokens you get is still very strong, its still the first ever run of the con and first view of the newest content, a run you don't have to pay for and someone else organizes. Its got a lot going for it before the "bonus content".
Sweet a combat room, we won't take damage!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was there / what was the GT bonus? 3 years 6 months ago #27

valetutto wrote: From a power creep sustainability view point, the event year long item is the way to go I think.
You can have more fun with them instead of worrying about how a fun decision might impact the future.

Yes I also think it would be used as a platform to test out new things.

I don't think it will reduce demand for GT runs because the bag of tokens you get is still very strong, its still the first ever run of the con and first view of the newest content, a run you don't have to pay for and someone else organizes. Its got a lot going for it before the "bonus content".


I agree GT run demand does not seem to be on the wane.

This year it was the highest I've ever seen, with prices climbing from $900 to $1500 throughout the registration period rather than declining.

Permanent boons haven't been awarded except on 2 occasions (tokens are not permanent boons, tokens are tokens, permanent boons are Cogwind Gears or Deck of Many Things bonuses, etc.), and none of them recently.


Last year there was a con only boost.

Hard to argue that the unprecedented GT demand this year was due to players figuring they would get permanent boons - there was literally no hint this would occur.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was there / what was the GT bonus? 3 years 6 months ago #28

I strongly dislike permanent boons. Not only do they distort balance, but they also create overly complicated situations for DM's.

DM's already have to remember loads of tokens. Now they have to know the details on obscure GT effects?

Imagine that you are a DM and:

- A player with a Cogwind Medallion
- A player with a baby beholder
- A player with a sword

all come in, claiming that they have extra bonuses. How are you supposed to keep track of which ones are legit and valid?

Same for Artifact owners who don't carry their laminated card and the DM's just have to trust their word on what their artifact does....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Incognito.

Was there / what was the GT bonus? 3 years 6 months ago #29

  • Reap
  • Reap's Avatar
  • Away
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Diablo Fan
  • Posts: 1933
Since I said I'd post a pic...

Forgot the Relic Shield in the photo since I put that in my binder right away.

Classes Played: Barbarian (29 times), Monk (23), Ranger (19), Rogue (15), Cleric (12), Fighter (9), Dwarf Fighter (7), Druid (6), Paladin (5), Bard (3), Elf Wizard (2), Wizard (2)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was there / what was the GT bonus? 3 years 6 months ago #30

Thanks for the pic - not just to see the bountiful treasure but it's cool to see the prop (and dice!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was there / what was the GT bonus? 3 years 6 months ago #31

Kirk Bauer wrote: Personally I'd love something permanent again like the Cogwind Amulet. Or a chance at an Arcane Recipe ;) Or even something cool like a surprise DM like Wil Wheaton (could have been Patrick Rothfus this year!).

Heck, I would have been thrilled if the final event was meeting Patrick and getting a signed book (third book perhaps? I ask too much I know).

For the game, I do think the limited-time bonuses are both a good and bad thing for the game. They are a good thing because they don't cause permanent power creep. They are a bad thing because they might reduce the demand for golden tickets, which ultimately are designed to encourage token purchases.


I haven't been lucky enough to go on a GT run yet, however *when* I do I would hope for a more permanent bonus or at least something that can be used outside of just GenCon. It was cool to get an additional bonus at TDC but I wish I would've been able to use it a little longer. Of course that's not the only motivator - the opportunity to be the first to experience the run and the loot are definitely drivers. Just my two cents.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was there / what was the GT bonus? 3 years 6 months ago #32

Starkhound (Edwin) wrote: Thanks for the pic - not just to see the bountiful treasure but it's cool to see the prop (and dice!)


The dice were provided by one of the participants on the GT runs whom got permission and paid individually to have them made.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was there / what was the GT bonus? 3 years 6 months ago #33

Incognito wrote: I strongly dislike permanent boons. Not only do they distort balance, but they also create overly complicated situations for DM's.

DM's already have to remember loads of tokens. Now they have to know the details on obscure GT effects?

Imagine that you are a DM and:

- A player with a Cogwind Medallion
- A player with a baby beholder
- A player with a sword

all come in, claiming that they have extra bonuses. How are you supposed to keep track of which ones are legit and valid?

Same for Artifact owners who don't carry their laminated card and the DM's just have to trust their word on what their artifact does....


Althought I'd like a shot at a permanent boon I have to say +1 to this. Temporary boons are better for the game IMO.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was there / what was the GT bonus? 3 years 6 months ago #34

edwin wrote:

Starkhound (Edwin) wrote: Thanks for the pic - not just to see the bountiful treasure but it's cool to see the prop (and dice!)


The dice were provided by one of the participants on the GT runs whom got permission and paid individually to have them made.


I didn't know that, but thank you to whomever did it!

Also, I think people were hoping for something special on GC50/TD15's GT run


I did my first one and really liked it. I will.probably try to do another if I can.
First ever death in True Horde
"Well, with you guarding 2 players, that means you take 90. Are you dead?"
-Incognito

My token shop/trade thread: Wade's Wide World of Wonder 

My Current Paladin Build 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was there / what was the GT bonus? 3 years 6 months ago #35

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

edwin wrote:

Starkhound (Edwin) wrote: Thanks for the pic - not just to see the bountiful treasure but it's cool to see the prop (and dice!)


The dice were provided by one of the participants on the GT runs whom got permission and paid individually to have them made.


I didn't know that, but thank you to whomever did it!

Also, I think people were hoping for something special on GC50/TD15's GT run


I did my first one and really liked it. I will.probably try to do another if I can.


Brad from Australia is probably the dice benefactor - still treasure my 2015 GT dice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Was there / what was the GT bonus? 3 years 6 months ago #36

Matthew Hayward wrote:

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

edwin wrote:

Starkhound (Edwin) wrote: Thanks for the pic - not just to see the bountiful treasure but it's cool to see the prop (and dice!)


The dice were provided by one of the participants on the GT runs whom got permission and paid individually to have them made.


I didn't know that, but thank you to whomever did it!

Also, I think people were hoping for something special on GC50/TD15's GT run


I did my first one and really liked it. I will.probably try to do another if I can.


Brad from Australia is probably the dice benefactor - still treasure my 2015 GT dice.


Yep! It was Brad from the far side of the world.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds