Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Gencon 2019 Feedback for new ideas

Gencon 2019 Feedback for new ideas 2 months 2 weeks ago #1

Hello -
This was my second year playing TD. Last year, 2018, I volunteered full time as a Frost Giant in N2 and participated in N1/N2/N3 at night after my shifts. It was a lot of fun. This year I could only come for the weekend and I did E1/E2/E3 and Odins Redux.

Feedback:
I really enjoyed it when the characters stay with you for more than one room. They get to know the group better than a single 12 minute session will allow
I liked that there was a "half-way" bell. Maybe they had this last year and I just didn't know since I was new
I liked the feedback station at the ends of all runs where we got to talk with the room coordinator and discuss the run
I liked when you get to take an item from one room and use it in a later room. This ties the story and game together very well and kept our party excited
I liked the text of the room printed out for when it was hard to hear an NPC or an audio clip
I liked the attack boards that were hidden so you didn't know right away there was a monster. In fact you could even combine it such that a puzzle turns into an attack room based on outcomes/choices
New Ideas I'd like to see:
It would be nice if there was a second puzzle within the single dungeon for cases where you solve right away and then sit around for the last 6 minutes. It would be "unlocked" as a bonus, for example the NPC could say "Oh wow you solved that quick, I didn't notice this other scroll over here with a riddle" and you get some sort of extra thing. This would help keep everyone in character.
It would be cool if there was a "choose the left or right path" situation for one room, or maybe you only go left if you solved the puzzle and right if you failed, and then they join back together. In theory this means needing more volunteers but not necessarily if you have the NPC traverse the dungeon with the players.
Would it be possible for us to bring our own "puck" or whatever you call it for sliding weapons? That way we could purchase a more deluxe looking puck and not have to take the weapons in and out
Consider changing the memorization stuff from last year. (Wizard, Cleric, etc). I don't know how many years you use the same ones over and over, but some folks clearly came in not needing to study a thing.

There were areas to take group pictures by the treasure pull area but almost nobody did. Consider offering 1 extra treasure pull if you take a picture and post it to social media or something. Help spread the True Dungeon gospel!

I really enjoyed the game a lot, and thanks again for all your hardwork. See you in 2020

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gencon 2019 Feedback for new ideas 2 months 2 weeks ago #2

Chris Foster wrote: room based on outcomes/choices
New Ideas I'd like to see:
It would be nice if there was a second puzzle within the single dungeon for cases where you solve right away and then sit around for the last 6 minutes. It would be "unlocked" as a bonus, for example the NPC could say "Oh wow you solved that quick, I didn't notice this other scroll over here with a riddle" and you get some sort of extra thing. This would help keep everyone in character.


This idea I especially like...in Odin's Redux we had a lot of new players and they did great and we solved the first two puzzles in just a few minutes each. One was the puzzle when you drive the boat around the table. We solved it, and then drove the boat back to the starting point to kill the time. I was talking to some of them and explaining we a lot of time the puzzle takes you all 12 minutes or at least 10. Chatting with new folks is always nice...but having a secondary optional objective/puzzle would be awesome! When you finish fast!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gencon 2019 Feedback for new ideas 1 month 5 days ago #3

Chris Foster wrote: There were areas to take group pictures by the treasure pull area but almost nobody did. Consider offering 1 extra treasure pull if you take a picture and post it to social media or something. Help spread the True Dungeon gospel!


I really, really like this idea!
Getting an extra treasure may be too generous (as many players spend a lot of time and effort to get additional treasures).

Maybe an additional pin with a graphic that includes the TD url or a link to the TD YouTube video.
It could be considered an advertising expense, and a way to get the word out.

I know that I get comments on my TD class pin from many years ago (the big round ones), so people notice pins--and more people will take pictures to get the pin!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gencon 2019 Feedback for new ideas 1 month 5 days ago #4

David Harris wrote:

Chris Foster wrote: room based on outcomes/choices
New Ideas I'd like to see:
It would be nice if there was a second puzzle within the single dungeon for cases where you solve right away and then sit around for the last 6 minutes. It would be "unlocked" as a bonus, for example the NPC could say "Oh wow you solved that quick, I didn't notice this other scroll over here with a riddle" and you get some sort of extra thing. This would help keep everyone in character.


This idea I especially like...in Odin's Redux we had a lot of new players and they did great and we solved the first two puzzles in just a few minutes each. One was the puzzle when you drive the boat around the table. We solved it, and then drove the boat back to the starting point to kill the time. I was talking to some of them and explaining we a lot of time the puzzle takes you all 12 minutes or at least 10. Chatting with new folks is always nice...but having a secondary optional objective/puzzle would be awesome! When you finish fast!


I like this idea as well. We've had several rooms where we finished the room within a couple of minutes, and just hung around and chatted for awhile. It would be awesome if there were some sort of bonus puzzle/combat to pass the time. :)

For combat rooms - maybe even just the offer to try to win the combat at a higher difficulty level - just for fun. We've had a few rooms where the DM allowed that, but not too many.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mike Steele.
  • Page:
  • 1
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds