Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Party saves

Party saves 7 months 1 week ago #13

Is it problematic to know that you failed a save before declaring a UR token? if not, then re-rolls would be faster too. Then the DM would just declare pass/fail, and then any re-rolls would get shaken at the same time again.

Once totals were finalized, resulting damage/effects get announced
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Party saves 7 months 1 week ago #14

I can see how one single bad roll can have a bad effect on the entire party having been involved in that on the FFL run of N1. The Ogre Mage cast sleep - and one bad roll from our fearless leader resulted in the entire party failing - which would have meant TPK in room 3 (had it not been for one incredibly lucky roll where our Elf Wizard was the first one "killed").

That could leave a very bad taste in the mouths of some players.

However the time constraint of 10 rolls is too much.

The one compromise might be to divide the character card in slots like with the beholder - 2 or 3 slots of 4 or 6 classes. Two quick rolls (1-6 on card get result one and 7-12 get result 2) could guard against a single bad dice roll dooming everybody.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Party saves 7 months 1 week ago #15

How about 4 rolls - fighter types, wizards, healer types (clerics and druids), rest ( ranger, rogue, bard, and monk)

Or condense to 3 by combining all spell casters
Please visit my fledgling token store.
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=583&id=247486

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Party saves 7 months 1 week ago #16

  • kurtreznor
  • kurtreznor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Hero Member +1
  • Hero Member +1
  • hail eris! all hail discordia!
  • Posts: 2809

Bob Chasan wrote: How about 4 rolls - fighter types, wizards, healer types (clerics and druids), rest ( ranger, rogue, bard, and monk)

Or condense to 3 by combining all spell casters


How about separated by types like this:
Tough classes: barbar, fighter, & dwarf
Dex classes: ranger & rogue
Willful classes: bard, cleric, & druid
Bad or good at everything: wizard, elf, monk, & paladin

...ok, that is amusing, but actually goes against the idea of avoiding the all fail or save together. You should actually split them into groupings with one from each of those categories.
this is not a signature.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Party saves 7 months 1 week ago #17

Something that is done often in D&D is pre-rolling a set of savings throws. Not that coaches need more to do, maybe have everyone roll a set of say 5 dice in the training room and recording them on the party card. Then the module could specify use save #4 for this roll, etc.

I do like the stick idea, but people like making rolls and determining their own fate. The one roll for the party is way too streaky. Players seem to enjoy rooting for the one roller or giving them a hard time if they blow it.

It's a tough problem to incorporate a mechanic designed for multi-hour games into a 12 minute room.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Party saves 7 months 1 week ago #18

I think having a save stick with ten dice would be easier then four dice because remembering which dice goes to which class and doing it quickly could be tricky for some DM's. Especially if their isn't an exact order which coincides with the party card. Going down the line comparing to the party card would be easier in my opinion.

I'm all for building one and trying it out at GHC or one of the upcoming conventions to see how easy it is to implement. But, the original system is still the easiest for time concerns and inexperienced DM's.
Pulling Arcane Recipes since 2010

New Tokens coming soon! Nick's Token Bazaar.

Cranston's Character Generator for iDevices or Android
Amorgen's Excel Character Generator
Acherin's Online TD Character Creator
TokenDB , maintained by Druegar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Party saves 7 months 1 week ago #19

Nick Braun wrote: I think having a save stick with ten dice would be easier then four dice because remembering which dice goes to which class and doing it quickly could be tricky for some DM's. Especially if their isn't an exact order which coincides with the party card. Going down the line comparing to the party card would be easier in my opinion.

I'm all for building one and trying it out at GHC or one of the upcoming conventions to see how easy it is to implement. But, the original system is still the easiest for time concerns and inexperienced DM's.


Okay Nick!

That is your homework assignment! Build a save stick with ten dice so we can try it out at Gamehole Con! :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Party saves 7 months 1 week ago #20

Incognito wrote:

Nick Braun wrote: I think having a save stick with ten dice would be easier then four dice because remembering which dice goes to which class and doing it quickly could be tricky for some DM's. Especially if their isn't an exact order which coincides with the party card. Going down the line comparing to the party card would be easier in my opinion.

I'm all for building one and trying it out at GHC or one of the upcoming conventions to see how easy it is to implement. But, the original system is still the easiest for time concerns and inexperienced DM's.


Okay Nick!

That is your homework assignment! Build a save stick with ten dice so we can try it out at Gamehole Con! :P


It'll be easy, I have something called a laser. :P
Pulling Arcane Recipes since 2010

New Tokens coming soon! Nick's Token Bazaar.

Cranston's Character Generator for iDevices or Android
Amorgen's Excel Character Generator
Acherin's Online TD Character Creator
TokenDB , maintained by Druegar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Party saves 7 months 1 week ago #21

Cavor wrote: Something that is done often in D&D is pre-rolling a set of savings throws. Not that coaches need more to do, maybe have everyone roll a set of say 5 dice in the training room and recording them on the party card. Then the module could specify use save #4 for this roll, etc.


100% truthfully there would be frequent groups where we just flat out wouldn't have time (let alone room on the party card) to roll that many dice.
Semper Gumby, Always flexible.

Sartre sits in in a coffee shop and asks for a coffee without cream. The barista apologizes “Sorry, we don't have any cream. Can I offer you a coffee without milk instead?”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Party saves 7 months 1 week ago #22

I quite like the save stick idea, but I think it ought to be 12 compartments, not 10. I'm thinking something like one of those daily pill organizers, but with 12 compartments. A single-file line would be cool, but this image was easier to find & tweak. :P

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Have you looked it up in the TDb ?
Please post TDb corrections/suggestions in this thread .
If I write something in teal, it should not be taken seriously.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Party saves 7 months 1 week ago #23

Incognito wrote:

Nick Braun wrote: I think having a save stick with ten dice would be easier then four dice because remembering which dice goes to which class and doing it quickly could be tricky for some DM's. Especially if their isn't an exact order which coincides with the party card. Going down the line comparing to the party card would be easier in my opinion.

I'm all for building one and trying it out at GHC or one of the upcoming conventions to see how easy it is to implement. But, the original system is still the easiest for time concerns and inexperienced DM's.


Okay Nick!

That is your homework assignment! Build a save stick with ten dice so we can try it out at Gamehole Con! :P


This shouldn’t be too hard... 3D printer to make the stick and put a clear cover on top....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Party saves 7 months 1 week ago #24

Druegar wrote: I quite like the save stick idea, but I think it ought to be 12 compartments, not 10. I'm thinking something like one of those daily pill organizers, but with 12 compartments. A single-file line would be cool, but this image was easier to find & tweak. :P

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.


Lol! I have one of those pill boxes... but it has 14 compartments, seven days a week, am, and pm...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds