Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Sling Bullet of Dividing Question

Sling Bullet of Dividing Question 2 months 1 week ago #1

The sling bullet of dividing indicates that the second target takes "normal damage." The problem is, the term "normal damage" doesn't appear anywhere. Is normal damage just weapon damage? If so, the tokendb listing should be edited to indicate weapon damage.

I suspect, though, this means damage calculated the same way as the original target. That opens up a lot of cheese, unfortunately. For example, would a ranger using the full array of equipment available today get the full bonuses. My ranger build, for example, is currently +36 damage for missile (plus whatever adders for ammunition, the new quiver, etc.) Would all of that apply? Even worse, you could do a barbarian build with +50 damage using a mighty sling.

It's not terribly broken as the number of multi-combatant rooms is pretty small but it is something I was curious about.

Fred
What do we want? Evidence based science! When do we want it? After peer review!

Wizard build
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=570&id=247398

Rogue build
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=569&id=245490#287189

Items for Sale or Trade
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=583&id=247555

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Fred K.

Sling Bullet of Dividing Question 2 months 1 week ago #2

Fred K wrote: The sling bullet of dividing indicates that the second target takes "normal damage."

The TDb entry for Sling Bullet of Dividing says:
On a successful hit from a sling, this bullet will deal an identical amount of damage to one other monster in the room. A second To Hit slide is not required. If there is only one monster in the room, this Bullet will deal normal damage (I.e., it cannot hit the same monster twice with a single attack.) It must be declared (turned in) before sliding the weapon token.

Where are you seeing anything, "second target takes normal damage"?

This token does not have the typical +X as Y (energy type) damage bonus; it simply duplicates itself on a different target. Therefore, using this token in a room with only one monster is a waste of an ammo token.
Have you looked it up in the TDb ?
Please post TDb corrections/suggestions in this thread .
If I write something in teal, it should not be taken seriously.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sling Bullet of Dividing Question 2 months 1 week ago #3

Fred K wrote: would a ranger using the full array of equipment available today get the full bonuses.

yes
Have you looked it up in the TDb ?
Please post TDb corrections/suggestions in this thread .
If I write something in teal, it should not be taken seriously.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sling Bullet of Dividing Question 2 months 1 week ago #4

Druegar wrote:

Fred K wrote: The sling bullet of dividing indicates that the second target takes "normal damage."

The TDb entry for Sling Bullet of Dividing says:
On a successful hit from a sling, this bullet will deal an identical amount of damage to one other monster in the room. A second To Hit slide is not required. If there is only one monster in the room, this Bullet will deal normal damage (I.e., it cannot hit the same monster twice with a single attack.) It must be declared (turned in) before sliding the weapon token.

Where are you seeing anything, "second target takes normal damage"?

This token does not have the typical +X as Y (energy type) damage bonus; it simply duplicates itself on a different target. Therefore, using this token in a room with only one monster is a waste of an ammo token.


It looks like I dyslexic'd the two lines and read it as normal damage instead of apply those words to the "if there is only one monster in the room" sentence. My error.

So, if it is identical damage, what about a rogue sneak attack? The sneak attack wording seems to imply it could only work against one creature "the monster becomes wise to your skulky shenanigans" combined with earlier language in the section saying "Rogues have the ability to slink around a monster during combat and set themselves up to perform a special melee attack which targets the monster’s vital areas." The and a are used there.

My guess is the specific text for the rogue damage overrule the general "identical damage" text (or is the "identical damage" text the specific overruling the general rogue text?)

Thanks!
What do we want? Evidence based science! When do we want it? After peer review!

Wizard build
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=570&id=247398

Rogue build
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=569&id=245490#287189

Items for Sale or Trade
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=583&id=247555

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sling Bullet of Dividing Question 2 months 1 week ago #5

Fred K wrote: what about a rogue sneak attack?

Here's all you need to remember:
When properly* using a Sling Bullet of Dividing , if you hit target #1, you deal the exact same amount of damage to target #2. Period.

*I threw in "properly" in there in case some knucklehead tries to weasel his way into claiming I said you could use it as a melee weapon or some other obvious bull💩.
Have you looked it up in the TDb ?
Please post TDb corrections/suggestions in this thread .
If I write something in teal, it should not be taken seriously.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sling Bullet of Dividing Question 2 months 1 week ago #6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds