Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Class Legendary Synergy

Class Legendary Synergy 1 month 3 weeks ago #1

I was thinking it might be good to put a synergy effect on the class legendaries such that if every class on the run has one there is some bonus.

To keep it simple, I'd keep the bonus off the party card, so something like:

* HP
* Reuse a spell or ability
* Do something as free action

etc.

The main reason why I think this might be good is to give collectors a reason to complete and keep one of each on hand. Without an incentive like this I fear there will be lots of some (say, Ranger, Rogue) and few of others (say, Cleric, Wizard).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Class Legendary Synergy 1 month 3 weeks ago #2

It's only an issue if the cleric and wizard ones end up sub optimal, right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Class Legendary Synergy 1 month 3 weeks ago #3

  • Harlax
  • Harlax's Avatar
  • Away
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Baruk Khazad!
  • Posts: 6721

Matthew Hayward wrote: I was thinking it might be good to put a synergy effect on the class legendaries such that if every class on the run has one there is some bonus.

To keep it simple, I'd keep the bonus off the party card, so something like:

* HP
* Reuse a spell or ability
* Do something as free action

etc.

The main reason why I think this might be good is to give collectors a reason to complete and keep one of each on hand. Without an incentive like this I fear there will be lots of some (say, Ranger, Rogue) and few of others (say, Cleric, Wizard).


Damn it, now Team Synergy will have to require Legendaries. ;)

Seriously, I don’t like this idea.
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Class Legendary Synergy 1 month 3 weeks ago #4

  • Picc
  • Picc's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Remember when we were explorers?
  • Posts: 5682
I'm also not a huge fan of this idea as I worry it might create further incentive to keep legendary players from mixing with the general populous (or even those who play at the relic level).
Semper Gumby, Always flexible.

Sartre sits in in a coffee shop and asks for a coffee without cream. The barista apologizes “Sorry, we don't have any cream. Can I offer you a coffee without milk instead?”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Class Legendary Synergy 1 month 3 weeks ago #5

We still don’t know if the fighter and wizard legendary will be together or separate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Class Legendary Synergy 1 month 3 weeks ago #6

  • Harlax
  • Harlax's Avatar
  • Away
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Baruk Khazad!
  • Posts: 6721

Picc wrote: I'm also not a huge fan of this idea as I worry it might create further incentive to keep legendary players from mixing with the general populous (or even those who play at the relic level).


+1
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Class Legendary Synergy 1 month 3 weeks ago #7

Endgame wrote: It's only an issue if the cleric and wizard ones end up sub optimal, right?


"Issue" would be strong.

But we know that not all classes are in equal demand. I suspect having a synergy bonus for all-class-legendary would lead to:

a. More legendaries being transmuted (which is a think I think is good).
b. The least in demand legandaries being transmuted more than they would have been otherwise (which I also think is good - or more I think it's good that more of the relics for those classes get created so legendaries can be available in the future).

I think it's more likely a collector would craft extra class legendaries to get a synergy benefit on their primary classes, than to craft one of the off chance they ever play an alternate class.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Matthew Hayward.

Class Legendary Synergy 1 month 3 weeks ago #8

jon wrote: We still don’t know if the fighter and wizard legendary will be together or separate


I agree we don't know, but I think the default assumption is they will not be separate.

Are you thinking this proposal would make sense in one scenario and not in another?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Class Legendary Synergy 1 month 3 weeks ago #9

Harlax wrote:

Picc wrote: I'm also not a huge fan of this idea as I worry it might create further incentive to keep legendary players from mixing with the general populous (or even those who play at the relic level).


+1


Why would such an incentive be a bad thing?

I'm not sure I've ever heard it expressed to date on the forums that a problem with TD is that legendary players don't mix with the general population enough?

I've heard the opposite several times.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Class Legendary Synergy 1 month 3 weeks ago #10

  • Picc
  • Picc's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Remember when we were explorers?
  • Posts: 5682

Matthew Hayward wrote:

Harlax wrote:

Picc wrote: I'm also not a huge fan of this idea as I worry it might create further incentive to keep legendary players from mixing with the general populous (or even those who play at the relic level).


+1


Why would such an incentive be a bad thing?

I'm not sure I've ever heard it expressed to date on the forums that a problem with TD is that legendary players don't mix with the general population enough?

I've heard the opposite several times.


I feel like this would promote elitism (or at least the perception of it), which most people seem to be against as it scares off newbies. We can argue about if that perception would be worth more or less then the other effects of a synergy bonus.

Im also not sure we need to encourage collectors to go after legendaries that we haven't been designed yet.
Semper Gumby, Always flexible.

Sartre sits in in a coffee shop and asks for a coffee without cream. The barista apologizes “Sorry, we don't have any cream. Can I offer you a coffee without milk instead?”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Class Legendary Synergy 1 month 3 weeks ago #11

  • Harlax
  • Harlax's Avatar
  • Away
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Baruk Khazad!
  • Posts: 6721
Power creep anyone?

(Is there some kind of prize for being the first to say it?)
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Class Legendary Synergy 1 month 3 weeks ago #12

Picc wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote:

Harlax wrote:

Picc wrote: I'm also not a huge fan of this idea as I worry it might create further incentive to keep legendary players from mixing with the general populous (or even those who play at the relic level).


+1


Why would such an incentive be a bad thing?

I'm not sure I've ever heard it expressed to date on the forums that a problem with TD is that legendary players don't mix with the general population enough?

I've heard the opposite several times.


I feel like this would promote elitism (or at least the perception of it), which most people seem to be against as it scares off newbies. We can argue about if that perception would be worth more or less then the other effects of a synergy bonus.

Im also not sure we need to encourage collectors to go after legendaries that we haven't been designed yet.


This would also encourage collectors to go after legendaries that have been designed (*cough* druid *cough*).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.412 seconds