Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: +3 deathcleaver thoughts

+3 deathcleaver thoughts 4 years 1 month ago #13

All three of us are rare'd out save for ioun stones and charms. For my bard I have sufficient gear widseths and ROH. My strategy as a Bard is to support the DPS. What better way than to give one a +3 cleaver? Plus for that magic moment when I cant bard and I am solo, BAM! Epic melee class who doesn't know how to slide ;)
"Nice guys finish last but at least they finish"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+3 deathcleaver thoughts 4 years 1 month ago #14

Make the +3 Deathcleaver.

1) The recipe has a time constraint
2) Because of the limited time to make it, it will increase in value (or hold it's value), at least until a better 2H weapon inevitably comes along
3) It never hurts to have an awesome back up weapon if your primary class is taken (plus Barbarians get a +2 dmg bonus for 2H now!)
4) Don't only look at moving into harder difficulties - if you primarily play HC (and it sounds like that's what your group is geared for) having a +1 on the weapon potentially frees up a slot where you (or your friends) had a +2 STR item - gauntlets, belt, shirt, Ioun stone OR 2 slots if you had 2 +1 STR items


Transmutes at GenCon have to be at the trade good/reserve bar stage, you won't be able to make trade goods there. However, there will be hundreds of people you can trade with to get what you need.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+3 deathcleaver thoughts 4 years 1 month ago #15

Joshua Baessler wrote: Make the +3 Deathcleaver.

1) The recipe has a time constraint
2) Because of the limited time to make it, it will increase in value (or hold it's value), at least until a better 2H weapon inevitably comes along


While the future is uncertain - if there is one pattern that seems to hold in True Dungeon token values - it is that transmuted tokens normally sell at a discount to their crafting cost - this is certainly true of Relics.

+3 Mithral Bracers can be had for $110.
Ring of Improved Evasion can be had for $90.
Cloak of Greater Desitiny can be had for $275.
Girdle of Frost Giant Strength can be had for $250.
+4 Ring of Protection can be had for $280.
Charm of Heroism can be had for $300.
+3 Rod of Niltongue can be had for $125.

This isn't quite a natural law - some relics (Greater Ring of Focus, current year Relics, +3 Viper Strike Fang) seem to be priced close (but still normally less than) their transmute cost.

I doubt +3 Deathcleaver will ever be in higher demand than the Viper Strike Fang, which is BiS for more classes, and for which Monks and Rangers need 2 each - so I think you could look at the price of a +3 VSF for a guideline of the ceiling a +3 Deathcleaver might command.

Right now Laz's shop has a +3 Deathcleaver for $325. It also has all the non-rare/uncommon ingredients for a +3 Deathcleaver for $468.

I will bet you a 2017 UR that a +3 Deathcleaver can be purchased for $368 or less on April Fools day 2017 ;).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Matthew Hayward.

+3 deathcleaver thoughts 4 years 1 month ago #16

Matthew Hayward wrote: While the future is uncertain - if there is one pattern that seems to hold in True Dungeon token values - it is that transmuted tokens normally sell at a discount to their crafting cost - this is certainly true of Relics.

You forgot to add - if you don't have the relic you can never build the legendary.

Ed
Useful Links:
TD Character Creator
Amorgen's Excel Char Gen Tool
Token DataBase
Talking TD Podcast

TD Accomplishments:
Member of the first team to survive Epic True Grind
1st Solo NM as Poly Druid
Proud member of Gas Station Sushi
Don't Nerf Our Tokens!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+3 deathcleaver thoughts 4 years 1 month ago #17

MasterED wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote: While the future is uncertain - if there is one pattern that seems to hold in True Dungeon token values - it is that transmuted tokens normally sell at a discount to their crafting cost - this is certainly true of Relics.

You forgot to add - if you don't have the relic you can never build the legendary.

Ed


Which is something we can't really predict. How many people will want a Girdle of Fire Giant Strength in 5 years, and how many will have already been made? If the demand is high it is possible the Girdle of Frost Giant strength could really appreciate.
My online token shop: www.tdtavern.com

We buy, sell, and trade True Dungeon tokens. We also have a convenient consignment program where you can sell your own tokens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+3 deathcleaver thoughts 4 years 1 month ago #18

Kirk Bauer wrote:

MasterED wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote: While the future is uncertain - if there is one pattern that seems to hold in True Dungeon token values - it is that transmuted tokens normally sell at a discount to their crafting cost - this is certainly true of Relics.

You forgot to add - if you don't have the relic you can never build the legendary.

Ed


Which is something we can't really predict. How many people will want a Girdle of Fire Giant Strength in 5 years, and how many will have already been made? If the demand is high it is possible the Girdle of Frost Giant strength could really appreciate.


I'm just cracking down on the advice that "Relics will appreciate".

It is not certain they will.

There is lots of evidence they won't.

They certainly might.

My point is "get a +3 Deathcleaver because it will appreciate" is very questionable advice.

There are many other fine reasons for getting a Relic weapon.

If you doubt this, I'll be happy to sell you my +3 Mithral Bracers, +3 Rod of Niltongue, and Ring of Improved Evasion for the low low price of $800 - so you too can benefit from the appreciation ;) .

For the record - I do imagine the price of the Girdle of Frost Giant strength will rise from it's current ~250 range. Frankly I'm a bit baffled it is so cheap given that relic weapons go for ~300.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Matthew Hayward.

+3 deathcleaver thoughts 4 years 1 month ago #19

So much good advice. Gah! Now I'm not sure.
"Nice guys finish last but at least they finish"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+3 deathcleaver thoughts 4 years 1 month ago #20

Well I wasn't saying Relics would appreciate I was saying if you don't have the relic you can never build the legendary.

Many people play for the joy and not to make the most fiscally wise decision on every transaction.

Ed
Useful Links:
TD Character Creator
Amorgen's Excel Char Gen Tool
Token DataBase
Talking TD Podcast

TD Accomplishments:
Member of the first team to survive Epic True Grind
1st Solo NM as Poly Druid
Proud member of Gas Station Sushi
Don't Nerf Our Tokens!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by MasterED.

+3 deathcleaver thoughts 4 years 1 month ago #21

Matthew Hayward wrote:

Kirk Bauer wrote:

MasterED wrote:

Matthew Hayward wrote: While the future is uncertain - if there is one pattern that seems to hold in True Dungeon token values - it is that transmuted tokens normally sell at a discount to their crafting cost - this is certainly true of Relics.

You forgot to add - if you don't have the relic you can never build the legendary.

Ed


Which is something we can't really predict. How many people will want a Girdle of Fire Giant Strength in 5 years, and how many will have already been made? If the demand is high it is possible the Girdle of Frost Giant strength could really appreciate.


I'm just cracking down on the advice that "Relics will appreciate".

It is not certain they will.

There is lots of evidence they won't.

They certainly might.

My point is "get a +3 Deathcleaver because it will appreciate" is very questionable advice.

There are many other fine reasons for getting a Relic weapon.

If you doubt this, I'll be happy to sell you my +3 Mithral Bracers, +3 Rod of Niltongue, and Ring of Improved Evasion for the low low price of $800 - so you too can benefit from the appreciation ;) .

For the record - I do imagine the price of the Girdle of Frost Giant strength will rise from it's current ~250 range. Frankly I'm a bit baffled it is so cheap given that relic weapons go for ~300.


Lets be honest here. Tokens have no intrinsic value.
If Peter sold/ended GenCon tomorrow, you would see a *HUGE* correction in what people are willing to pay for tokens. WYC and GameHole don't have anywhere near the draw GenCon does.

I owned a comic book store for a few years before working as a professional in the gaming industry and I can't begin to *count* the number of people who told me they were stocking away first issues in their attic to fund their retirement. Needless to say, I"m sure their collections haven't appreciated greatly.

My advice, buy the tokens you want to buy.
Expect to have fun using them.
That *fun* is what you are really paying for.
You are paying for the excitement of doing a bunch of damage after an excellent slide.
You are paying for good times with friends.
You are paying for the 'awe' factor when people see you slide a relic.

But be realistic with yourself about this being a long term investment.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here, but I have to agree with Matt. People can't count on the price of gold or oil to remain stable for investment purposes. Tokens are a lot further down on the list :P

EDIT : 'I agree with Ed too' :)
I used to be an industry professional responsible for making sure Japan was able to buy some of the best toy soldiers ever made.

Now I'm just an old gamer :)

www.TrueDungeonTokens.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Steve.

+3 deathcleaver thoughts 4 years 1 month ago #22

The first generation of Relics are hard to use as an example as they was an abnormal number added to the economy due to the sweet loot boxes one year. I would say that if you have any plans on getting a Legendary version of the Cleaver, make the Relic. If you just want a nice blue token and an extra +1, you may want to sleep on it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+3 deathcleaver thoughts 4 years 1 month ago #23

FFS, things sure do get twisted around in a hurry around here.

I never said it was an investment opportunity, just that it might increase, or at least hold most of its value until something better comes along.

We don't know what will come in the future.

Relics generally hold value longer than URs. If it's made and he decides to sell it he'll likely get most of what he put into it back out of it. That's all I was getting at.

How about we focus on offering advice instead of telling each other how wrong we all are?

Criminy.

Here's the reality: no matter what you decide on you're going to wonder if the other options were a better choice so do whatever makes you happy right now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+3 deathcleaver thoughts 4 years 1 month ago #24

My original inquiry wasn't thinking about Money (maybe it should have) I was thinking more about the fact that I have already invested a small amount of money in TD and have collected a bunch of items I simply cannot use all at once 35+ rare weapons/armor....

I was mainly wondering if the trade token/transmute ratio was worth it for the cleaver. For example if the recipe for +1 hit and a little strength required 20K gold and other absurdities I feel like a forumite would let me know that it wasn't worth it.

Is the recipe cost to make the relic a fair price? How does the ratio of bonus to cost compare to other recipes of similar standing? These are the questions I should have asked and will ask next time.

I will likely post sometime next week about trading for the steel and gold I need. I appreciate all the great advice!

Thank you for all the wonderful incite.
-THOT
"Nice guys finish last but at least they finish"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds