Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why equip resistance when all damage unstoppable

Re: Why equip resistance when all damage unstoppable 4 years 11 months ago #13

Mike Steele wrote: I felt the same way this year. I've outfitted the entire group with Shirts of Shielding since the Dracolich but hadn't seen retribution damage since. When we took fire damage after attacking the Salamander, I thought I'd finally get a use out of them, but the DM told me that it didn't count as retribution damage. I'm contemplating replacing the Shirts of Shielding, they don't seem of much use after all.


After the first run we took off the shirts of shielding and replaced them with the Spider Silk Shirts on later runs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Why equip resistance when all damage unstoppable 4 years 11 months ago #14

I agree with the general sentiment of this thread. My biggest frustration this year was watching the extreme effort to make sure none of our tokens mattered. Issuing tokens and then going to great lengths to circumvent them is extremely disconcerting. I just do not understand what the problem is with having tokens that make rooms easier. That was the carrot dangled in from of us that caused us to want the tokens to begin with.

I do not understand the difference of completing a room and receiving a treasure stamp because you had just the right token and receiving extra treasure because you have the right token (Charm of Avarice etc.)

So a room was easy because a party was prepared? Why is this bad? Shouldn’t that be the reward for our preparations?

Sable 6 was my favorite combat this year. Not only because the room looked awesome, but because the combat was a straight up fight. Sure she hit hard and was tough to kill but gosh darn it my tokens finally meant something. She had to try and hit my AC and I got to stab her with the sword I worked so hard to transmute.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Why equip resistance when all damage unstoppable 4 years 11 months ago #15

Davoruk wrote: I agree with the general sentiment of this thread. My biggest frustration this year was watching the extreme effort to make sure none of our tokens mattered. Issuing tokens and then going to great lengths to circumvent them is extremely disconcerting. I just do not understand what the problem is with having tokens that make rooms easier. That was the carrot dangled in from of us that caused us to want the tokens to begin with.

I do not understand the difference of completing a room and receiving a treasure stamp because you had just the right token and receiving extra treasure because you have the right token (Charm of Avarice etc.)

So a room was easy because a party was prepared? Why is this bad? Shouldn’t that be the reward for our preparations?


I fully agree with this
~Meta: Don't worry, it is perfectly "safe" to follow the drunken dwarf into the dungeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Why equip resistance when all damage unstoppable 4 years 11 months ago #16

Davoruk wrote: Sable 6 was my favorite combat this year. Not only because the room looked awesome, but because the combat was a straight up fight. Sure she hit hard and was tough to kill but gosh darn it my tokens finally meant something. She had to try and hit my AC and I got to stab her with the sword I worked so hard to transmute.

Eh, not really.

Apparently Universal Solvent was the only solution if you got stuck in the web.

One would have thought that the Necklace of the Ash or the Moon Runestone should have worked.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Why equip resistance when all damage unstoppable 4 years 11 months ago #17

Davoruk wrote: I agree with the general sentiment of this thread. My biggest frustration this year was watching the extreme effort to make sure none of our tokens mattered. Issuing tokens and then going to great lengths to circumvent them is extremely disconcerting. I just do not understand what the problem is with having tokens that make rooms easier. That was the carrot dangled in from of us that caused us to want the tokens to begin with.

I do not understand the difference of completing a room and receiving a treasure stamp because you had just the right token and receiving extra treasure because you have the right token (Charm of Avarice etc.)

So a room was easy because a party was prepared? Why is this bad? Shouldn’t that be the reward for our preparations?

Sable 6 was my favorite combat this year. Not only because the room looked awesome, but because the combat was a straight up fight. Sure she hit hard and was tough to kill but gosh darn it my tokens finally meant something. She had to try and hit my AC and I got to stab her with the sword I worked so hard to transmute.


Yeah, but the spiders from the bags bit with acid and were not treated as real spiders as they were from some other plane.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Why equip resistance when all damage unstoppable 4 years 11 months ago #18

I did find it a bit counterintuitive that the lava boots would make us ineligible for treasure. As noted, shouldn't groups be rewarded for preparation? Not to mention that of our group of 11, only 2 people had them, and we were actively helping solve the puzzle and waiting to go last.

It's understandable to not want entire groups just cherry picking their gear as answers to every puzzle and fight (especially a few days into the convention, when information would begin to trickle out), but it seemed a bit backwards that my friend and I (who only had 3 pairs of boots to choose from between us, as I recall) felt that our choice was actually a 'bad' one based on the potential reward loss for actually putting them to use.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Why equip resistance when all damage unstoppable 4 years 11 months ago #19

I completely understand the frustration over tokens not working when they seem like they should. Although I have been able to reduce some damage with the ring of supreme elemental command, more often than not in the last couple of years it has been "it's magnetic damage" or "it's some magic type you can't recognize".

A system like TD's relies on token purchases and we can't keep circumventing the tokens just to keep it challenging without alienating token purchasers. If you are prepared for the puzzle or combat, then so be it. You are prepared and it is easier. There is usually enough variety in a module that you aren't going to be prepared for everything.

Let us have the "YES!!!!" moment when a token we spend good money on saves us from damage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Why equip resistance when all damage unstoppable 4 years 11 months ago #20

Amorgen Burke wrote: I completely understand the frustration over tokens not working when they seem like they should. Although I have been able to reduce some damage with the ring of supreme elemental command, more often than not in the last couple of years it has been "it's magnetic damage" or "it's some magic type you can't recognize".

A system like TD's relies on token purchases and we can't keep circumventing the tokens just to keep it challenging without alienating token purchasers. If you are prepared for the puzzle or combat, then so be it. You are prepared and it is easier. There is usually enough variety in a module that you aren't going to be prepared for everything.

Let us have the "YES!!!!" moment when a token we spend good money on saves us from damage.


I can only think of the Salamander as a YES moment since her Fire Aura, which the DM was nice enough to explain that she radiated with extreme heat and flame was the one thing that the supreme ring helped with.

I found it annoying that I did do Sable Gauntlet room 6 on Thursday, and while in there I got my weapon stuck, so I got out the solvent and said I use it on myself, and he explained my weapon was stuck not myself, and then I said, "Ok I pour it over my weapon" and was denied until a AC in the room overruled the DM. There were a lot of cases where if we had better explanations of what was going on it would have been easier to swallow what was going on but not knowing and being told no it doesn't work is not good.
You don't have to outrun the monster, just the guy next to you - The buddy system.

Cranston's Character Generator for iDevices or Character Generator for Android

Amorgen's Excellent Excel Character Generator

Have you checked the Token DataBase ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Why equip resistance when all damage unstoppable 4 years 11 months ago #21

Forar wrote: I did find it a bit counterintuitive that the lava boots would make us ineligible for treasure. As noted, shouldn't groups be rewarded for preparation? Not to mention that of our group of 11, only 2 people had them, and we were actively helping solve the puzzle and waiting to go last.

It's understandable to not want entire groups just cherry picking their gear as answers to every puzzle and fight (especially a few days into the convention, when information would begin to trickle out), but it seemed a bit backwards that my friend and I (who only had 3 pairs of boots to choose from between us, as I recall) felt that our choice was actually a 'bad' one based on the potential reward loss for actually putting them to use.


I'm actually OK with tokens not being able to help much with puzzles. I've always thought of the puzzle rooms as the "great equalizers", where it doesn't matter how many tokens you have, everyone is on roughly the same footing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Why equip resistance when all damage unstoppable 4 years 11 months ago #22

Incognito wrote:

Davoruk wrote: Sable 6 was my favorite combat this year. Not only because the room looked awesome, but because the combat was a straight up fight. Sure she hit hard and was tough to kill but gosh darn it my tokens finally meant something. She had to try and hit my AC and I got to stab her with the sword I worked so hard to transmute.

Eh, not really.

Apparently Universal Solvent was the only solution if you got stuck in the web.

One would have thought that the Necklace of the Ash or the Moon Runestone should have worked.


On my Nightmare run, I was told that Universal Solvent wouldn't free me from the webs.
Forum Name: Milambus
Real Name: Jake Fitch
Main Class: Monk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Why equip resistance when all damage unstoppable 4 years 11 months ago #23

As was I. A quick chat with the AC got that misunderstanding cleared up.
Have you looked it up in the TDb ?
Please post TDb corrections/suggestions in this thread .
If I write something in teal, it should not be taken seriously.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Why equip resistance when all damage unstoppable 4 years 11 months ago #24

Druegar wrote: As was I. A quick chat with the AC got that misunderstanding cleared up.

But, with as narrowly defining as TD has been with tokens and non usage, that would not even cross my mind. And I stay up on the forum and rules.
The Worst Rogue Ever!
Member of the Michigan Marauders
Ranger Extra-ordinary
--Rocky


BEWARE THERE ARE SILVER BULETTES NEARBY!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by darkangel866.
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds