Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: +2 Staff of Power

+2 Staff of Power 10 years 2 months ago #1

If I'm using the +2 Scepter of Might and the Orb of Might, can I also use the +2 Staff of Power? By this, I don't mean to use it in melee, but just its effect (basically, must I be wielding it for the effect)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Itamar.

Re: +2 Staff of Power 10 years 2 months ago #2

I'm pretty sure that's a No. But if someone who knows more than I do says otherwise I might look into that combo myself

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: +2 Staff of Power 10 years 2 months ago #3

My guess is going to be no, but TPTB may say otherwise. However, this would exceed the slots a person has - so why can't I benefit from an additional neck slot item just by carrying it and not having it equipped? Along the same lines, can I carry a mithral set and have the breath weapon damage reduction and undead bane without having them slotted?

(I think this could be abused really easily, which is why I am guessing that it will be a no go - but if not, I think I am gonna need to bring a bigger boat to Gencon to carry all my tokens!)
Do well and you will have no need for ancestors. - Voltaire

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: +2 Staff of Power 10 years 2 months ago #4

If you wield the +2 Staff of Power for its effect, unless you have the Crown, Girdle and Boots of Might you will not be 5th level in the dungeon.

Basically, once you equip a set bonus, the items that give the set bonus cannot be set down.
The Worst Rogue Ever!
Member of the Michigan Marauders
Ranger Extra-ordinary
--Rocky


BEWARE THERE ARE SILVER BULETTES NEARBY!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: +2 Staff of Power 10 years 2 months ago #5

admin wrote:
It has always been something in my head that any character who wanted a Set Power needed to equip with that item for the whole adventure -- much like you have to do with the HoP. I guess we never said that anywhere, but we need to clarify that for everyone.

It seems like a good trade-off and game mechanic to require it -- especially given all the mayhem trying to switch off can do to the Party Card.

Does anyone have any feedback on the matter?

Players will need to tell the Coach about any Set Powers they want to claim at start, of course.


Thanks!


The discussion:

truedungeon.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=94&id=126001&Itemid=64
The Worst Rogue Ever!
Member of the Michigan Marauders
Ranger Extra-ordinary
--Rocky


BEWARE THERE ARE SILVER BULETTES NEARBY!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by darkangel866.

Re: +2 Staff of Power 10 years 2 months ago #6

darkangel866 wrote: If you wield the +2 Staff of Power for its effect, unless you have the Crown, Girdle and Boots of Might you will not be 5th level in the dungeon.

Basically, once you equip a set bonus, the items that give the set bonus cannot be set down.


Except, wasn't an exception made for ranged weapons and the two Might items in question? If those can be exchanged for a ranged weapon, then a request for clarification on this isn't at all unreasonable.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: +2 Staff of Power 10 years 2 months ago #7

The Broasted wrote:

darkangel866 wrote: If you wield the +2 Staff of Power for its effect, unless you have the Crown, Girdle and Boots of Might you will not be 5th level in the dungeon.

Basically, once you equip a set bonus, the items that give the set bonus cannot be set down.


Except, wasn't an exception made for ranged weapons and the two Might items in question? If those can be exchanged for a ranged weapon, then a request for clarification on this isn't at all unreasonable.


They did say that ranged weapons and melee weapons / shields are treated as separate "slots", so you can have the Scepter and/or orb of Might, and they will still "count" towards the set bonus if you are using a missile weapon. However, since the +2 Staff of Power is also a melee weapon, you can't use it's power and the Might Items at the same time. And since if you're using the Might Items for the set bonus you can't stop using them for another Melee weapon, I don't think there's any way to use the Scepter and/or Orb with the 5th Level bonus and also be able to get the free spells from the +2 Staff of Power.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mike Steele.

Re: +2 Staff of Power 10 years 2 months ago #8

Mike Steele wrote:

The Broasted wrote:

darkangel866 wrote: If you wield the +2 Staff of Power for its effect, unless you have the Crown, Girdle and Boots of Might you will not be 5th level in the dungeon.

Basically, once you equip a set bonus, the items that give the set bonus cannot be set down.


Except, wasn't an exception made for ranged weapons and the two Might items in question? If those can be exchanged for a ranged weapon, then a request for clarification on this isn't at all unreasonable.


They did say that ranged weapons and melee weapons / shields are treated as separate "slots", so you can have the Scepter and/or orb of Might, and they will still "count" towards the set bonus if you are using a missile weapon. However, since the +2 Staff of Power is also a melee weapon, you can't use it's power and the Might Items at the same time. And since if you're using the Might Items for the set bonus you can't stop using them for another Melee weapon, I don't think there's any way to use the Scepter and/or Orb with the 5th Level bonus and also be able to get the free spells from the +2 Staff of Power.


This makes sense, sadly. However, I can still hope - clarification would certainly be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: +2 Staff of Power 10 years 2 months ago #9

Itamar wrote:

Mike Steele wrote:

The Broasted wrote:

darkangel866 wrote: If you wield the +2 Staff of Power for its effect, unless you have the Crown, Girdle and Boots of Might you will not be 5th level in the dungeon.

Basically, once you equip a set bonus, the items that give the set bonus cannot be set down.


Except, wasn't an exception made for ranged weapons and the two Might items in question? If those can be exchanged for a ranged weapon, then a request for clarification on this isn't at all unreasonable.


They did say that ranged weapons and melee weapons / shields are treated as separate "slots", so you can have the Scepter and/or orb of Might, and they will still "count" towards the set bonus if you are using a missile weapon. However, since the +2 Staff of Power is also a melee weapon, you can't use it's power and the Might Items at the same time. And since if you're using the Might Items for the set bonus you can't stop using them for another Melee weapon, I don't think there's any way to use the Scepter and/or Orb with the 5th Level bonus and also be able to get the free spells from the +2 Staff of Power.


This makes sense, sadly. However, I can still hope - clarification would certainly be appreciated.

I think Mike gave a great clarification. He is right. There is no other way around it
delpchad.blogspot.com/

First solo Nightmare survivor-2014 Viper pit

Allergic to Lori

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: +2 Staff of Power 10 years 2 months ago #10

darkangel866 wrote: If you wield the +2 Staff of Power for its effect, unless you have the Crown, Girdle and Boots of Might you will not be 5th level in the dungeon.

Basically, once you equip a set bonus, the items that give the set bonus cannot be set down.


well there /is/ a way around it, which darkangel mentioned right here. Unfortunately the crown is becoming increasingly difficult to find someone willing to part with it =P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: +2 Staff of Power 10 years 2 months ago #11

Landale wrote:

darkangel866 wrote: If you wield the +2 Staff of Power for its effect, unless you have the Crown, Girdle and Boots of Might you will not be 5th level in the dungeon.

Basically, once you equip a set bonus, the items that give the set bonus cannot be set down.


well there /is/ a way around it, which darkangel mentioned right here. Unfortunately the crown is becoming increasingly difficult to find someone willing to part with it =P


I'm not sure that is a way around it, actually. Even if you have all 5 Might Items, you are getting the 5 Item Set Bonus (5th Level AND +4 Melee Damage). So, since you are locked into any items that are giving Set bonuses, I think that would mean you're locked into all five items if you are using them for the 5 Item Set bonus. I guess if you outfitted 4 or 5 Might Items but were only claiming the 3 Item Bonus, that would give you flexibility to switch out of one or two of the items.

Out of curiosity - is it documented in the Token Guide or elsewhere that you are locked into using items that are giving you a set bonus, or is that just a ruling from the forums? Page 6 of the Token Guide talks about all the sets, but says nothing about being locked into tokens that give set abilities.

On a related note - I've read people outfitting themselves with all five Mithral Items for the 5 Item Mithral Set ability (Deadbane?). I thought I'd mention that the Token Guide lists all of the set abilities, and says nothing about a 5 Item Mithral Set ability. Perhaps this was something that was discussed on the forums, but never officially implemented? I wouldn't count on getting a 5 Item Mithral Set ability if it isn't listed in the Token Guide.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: +2 Staff of Power 10 years 2 months ago #12

Mike Steele wrote: On a related note - I've read people outfitting themselves with all five Mithral Items for the 5 Item Mithral Set ability (Deadbane?). I thought I'd mention that the Token Guide lists all of the set abilities, and says nothing about a 5 Item Mithral Set ability. Perhaps this was something that was discussed on the forums, but never officially implemented? I wouldn't count on getting a 5 Item Mithral Set ability if it isn't listed in the Token Guide.


It has been confirmed, from the Token Guide Thread

dbradical wrote: Yes it did, I will be adding back the 5 piece powers.


The current TG is already out of date, the version we have available is still the Draft Version, so until we get another announcement, take what is in there with a grain of salt.
Victory Loves Preparation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds