Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: +5 Final Transmute Recipes

+5 Final Transmute Recipes 1 year 2 months ago #85

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Lordoftherealm wrote:

Lordoftherealm wrote:

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Dave wrote:

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Harlax wrote: That depends on what happens at Origins. If a new dungeon debuts there and and two new one debut at GenCon, then 40 still works.

If all there are three dungeons which debut at GenCon 60 makes sense.


Although I like Kirk's idea of a GT run at Origins.as well.


An interesting idea. Would Origins allow an event to run before it's official start?

How do you determine who gets to go on each run? First come first served doesn't really feel right given that there are different lengths of time for people to receive their tokens from TD.

Maybe Golden Tickets for GC, Silver (Platinum?) for Origins?


Kind of what I thought as well, Golden Ticket feels like it should stay unique to Gen Con. Although, I guess if both locations held Golden Ticket runs then anyone pulling one would have a choice of which location they prefer to run.


This I would want to avoid.

If we all pre-order tokens from TD, but one of us lives in Illinois and another in Australia, it takes significantly longer for one to get their tokens than the other.

Not a huge deal if we're just trying to fill slots at GC.

A big deal if time is how we choose to decide which player gets to play at which con.


this idea is not great... if you only come to GenCon you are basically giving a golden ticket and then taking it away from a player.


A lot of these debates have to remember two things. Not everyone has a business where they make money and are affected by the changes and two, not everyone can make it to every con sadly (even though we would like to)



I definitely get that everyone can't make it to every con, but I don't think Jeff and Co. should be in the business of making sure GenCon is more valued than other cons TD runs at.

If you win a "silver ticket" for a premier run at Origins, but can't attend, how would that be any different than someone finding a golden ticket who can't attend GenCon?

I'm honestly at the point where I might consider just skipping GenCon altogether, and attending other Cons in different places. I can still get my TD fix and not have to fight a ridiculous crowd, organize to get a bunch of people to ready for the hotel lottery, or to hit submit the second tickets go on sale, etc.


Should this whole conversation get its own thread since it is not really related to the recipes?
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+5 Final Transmute Recipes 1 year 2 months ago #86

  • Harlax
  • Harlax's Avatar
  • Away
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Baruk Khazad!
  • Posts: 6805

jedibcg wrote:

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Lordoftherealm wrote:

Lordoftherealm wrote:

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Dave wrote:

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Harlax wrote: That depends on what happens at Origins. If a new dungeon debuts there and and two new one debut at GenCon, then 40 still works.

If all there are three dungeons which debut at GenCon 60 makes sense.


Although I like Kirk's idea of a GT run at Origins.as well.


An interesting idea. Would Origins allow an event to run before it's official start?

How do you determine who gets to go on each run? First come first served doesn't really feel right given that there are different lengths of time for people to receive their tokens from TD.

Maybe Golden Tickets for GC, Silver (Platinum?) for Origins?


Kind of what I thought as well, Golden Ticket feels like it should stay unique to Gen Con. Although, I guess if both locations held Golden Ticket runs then anyone pulling one would have a choice of which location they prefer to run.


This I would want to avoid.

If we all pre-order tokens from TD, but one of us lives in Illinois and another in Australia, it takes significantly longer for one to get their tokens than the other.

Not a huge deal if we're just trying to fill slots at GC.

A big deal if time is how we choose to decide which player gets to play at which con.


this idea is not great... if you only come to GenCon you are basically giving a golden ticket and then taking it away from a player.


A lot of these debates have to remember two things. Not everyone has a business where they make money and are affected by the changes and two, not everyone can make it to every con sadly (even though we would like to)



I definitely get that everyone can't make it to every con, but I don't think Jeff and Co. should be in the business of making sure GenCon is more valued than other cons TD runs at.

If you win a "silver ticket" for a premier run at Origins, but can't attend, how would that be any different than someone finding a golden ticket who can't attend GenCon?

I'm honestly at the point where I might consider just skipping GenCon altogether, and attending other Cons in different places. I can still get my TD fix and not have to fight a ridiculous crowd, organize to get a bunch of people to ready for the hotel lottery, or to hit submit the second tickets go on sale, etc.


Should this whole conversation get its own thread since it is not really related to the recipes?


Yes.

Having said that, I will note that I reduced the number of runs I did at GenCon by half this year and went to Origins for the first time.
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Harlax.

+5 Final Transmute Recipes 1 year 2 months ago #87

I just want a little clarification on the Lute Recipe #2... where it says ANY 3 of the following... Does that mean you can trade 2 Ocarinas and 1 Bodrain, or 3 Lutes as an option? I assume so, but I just want to be sure.
What are you Token About?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+5 Final Transmute Recipes 1 year 2 months ago #88

Dougout wrote: I just want a little clarification on the Lute Recipe #2... where it says ANY 3 of the following... Does that mean you can trade 2 Ocarinas and 1 Bodrain, or 3 Lutes as an option? I assume so, but I just want to be sure.


We are all assuming it is any 3, so 3 Ocarinas, 3 lutes, 3 Bodhrans, or some combination of 3 instruments.
First ever death in True Horde
"Well, with you guarding 2 players, that means you take 90. Are you dead?"
-Incognito

My token shop/trade thread: Wade's Wide World of Wonder 

My Current Paladin Build 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+5 Final Transmute Recipes 1 year 2 months ago #89

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Dougout wrote: I just want a little clarification on the Lute Recipe #2... where it says ANY 3 of the following... Does that mean you can trade 2 Ocarinas and 1 Bodrain, or 3 Lutes as an option? I assume so, but I just want to be sure.


We are all assuming it is any 3, so 3 Ocarinas, 3 lutes, 3 Bodhrans, or some combination of 3 instruments.

As long as those 3 weren't Lute of Fury.

Ed
Useful Links:
TD Character Creator
Amorgen's Excel Char Gen Tool
Token DataBase
Talking TD Podcast

TD Accomplishments:
Member of the first team to survive Epic True Grind
1st Solo NM as Poly Druid
Proud member of Gas Station Sushi
Don't Nerf Our Tokens!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+5 Final Transmute Recipes 1 year 2 months ago #90

Wade Schwendemann wrote: I definitely get that everyone can't make it to every con, but I don't think Jeff and Co. should be in the business of making sure GenCon is more valued than other cons TD runs at.

If you win a "silver ticket" for a premier run at Origins, but can't attend, how would that be any different than someone finding a golden ticket who can't attend GenCon?

I'm honestly at the point where I might consider just skipping GenCon altogether, and attending other Cons in different places. I can still get my TD fix and not have to fight a ridiculous crowd, organize to get a bunch of people to ready for the hotel lottery, or to hit submit the second tickets go on sale, etc.


I definitely feel the same way... GenCon is just too crowded, busy, mayhem (not TD, they do a good job).

I dislike lines and crowds. My younger brother got me going and he has decided to bail out on GenCon due to rising costs.

I might start just doing “every con except GenConl myself... unless I get a GT...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+5 Final Transmute Recipes 1 year 2 months ago #91

Mongo wrote:
I definitely feel the same way... GenCon is just too crowded, busy, mayhem (not TD, they do a good job).

I dislike lines and crowds. My younger brother got me going and he has decided to bail out on GenCon due to rising costs.

I might start just doing “every con except GenConl myself... unless I get a GT...


Pretty much my exact feelings.

My point is that, if there were a "GT" type run at Origins, it might make GC even less likely, at least for me.
First ever death in True Horde
"Well, with you guarding 2 players, that means you take 90. Are you dead?"
-Incognito

My token shop/trade thread: Wade's Wide World of Wonder 

My Current Paladin Build 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+5 Final Transmute Recipes 1 year 2 months ago #92

I used to believe there was no way to replace Gen Con for me. A few years ago, I made a list of things that made Gen Con better than, say, Origins (which I last attended in 2010 and wasn't impressed with).

#1 was that it's three hours closer by car for me than Origins. Well, GameHoleCon's about four hours closer than Gen Con.

#2 was the entertainment options, which was fine by me because I knew most of them weren't going to bother traveling from halfway around the country to smaller conventions.

#3 was True Dungeon. Well, GameHoleCon has True Dungeon.

#4 was browsing the dealer hall. GameHoleCon doesn't have the exciting new releases, but that's not what I cared about anyway. There's enough in there to kill an hour or so, which is good enough for me.

By last year, I found myself thinking "GameHoleCon has absolutely everything I wanted from Gen Con...except for the entertainment. But that's fine, because there's no way on Earth GameHoleCon will ever get The Doubleclicks".

And then GameHoleCon got The Doubleclicks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+5 Final Transmute Recipes 1 year 2 months ago #93

Dougout wrote: Lute Recipe #2... where it says ANY 3 of the following... Does that mean you can trade 2 Ocarinas and 1 Bodrain, or 3 Lutes as an option?

Yes
Any of those three (WML, BBB, AAO) in any combination: one of each or two of one & one of another.
Have you looked it up in the TDb ?
Please post TDb corrections/suggestions in this thread .
If I write something in teal, it should not be taken seriously.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+5 Final Transmute Recipes 1 year 2 months ago #94

  • Harlax
  • Harlax's Avatar
  • Away
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • Baruk Khazad!
  • Posts: 6805

Allen John wrote: I used to believe there was no way to replace Gen Con for me. A few years ago, I made a list of things that made Gen Con better than, say, Origins (which I last attended in 2010 and wasn't impressed with).

#1 was that it's three hours closer by car for me than Origins. Well, GameHoleCon's about four hours closer than Gen Con.

#2 was the entertainment options, which was fine by me because I knew most of them weren't going to bother traveling from halfway around the country to smaller conventions.

#3 was True Dungeon. Well, GameHoleCon has True Dungeon.

#4 was browsing the dealer hall. GameHoleCon doesn't have the exciting new releases, but that's not what I cared about anyway. There's enough in there to kill an hour or so, which is good enough for me.

By last year, I found myself thinking "GameHoleCon has absolutely everything I wanted from Gen Con...except for the entertainment. But that's fine, because there's no way on Earth GameHoleCon will ever get The Doubleclicks".

And then GameHoleCon got The Doubleclicks.


Gamehole Con can't replace GenCon for me yet. It's hard to both volunteer and run at GHC. At least as a full time volunteer. As well, it's not clear that Gamehole Con will ever have the full range of dungeons as GenCon does. This year the goal was to have all three of the current year dungeons. We were told there were not enough volunteers to make that possible. Also there is no Grindvat GHC this year.

But I'll be there as a full time volunteer again. And with a bit of luck and some gracious help from another volunteer I am fitting in two runs.
D&D teaches all the important lessons in life - the low blow, the cheap shot, the back stab, the double cross. - Jerry Marsischky

Let them trap us. We have our swords. - Elric of Melnibone.

You try to get them to play the game, but all they want to do is play the rules. - Ardak Kumerian

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend - Faramir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+5 Final Transmute Recipes 1 year 2 months ago #95

Wade Schwendemann wrote:
An interesting idea. Would Origins allow an event to run before it's official start?


Origins is officially a 5-day convention -- Wednesday to Sunday. I'm not saying there is as much to do on Wednesday, but there is definitely gaming going on Wednesday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

+5 Final Transmute Recipes 1 year 2 months ago #96

Harlax wrote: Gamehole Con can't replace GenCon for me yet. It's hard to both volunteer and run at GHC. At least as a full time volunteer. As well, it's not clear that Gamehole Con will ever have the full range of dungeons as GenCon does.


Oh yeah. It doesn't replace Gen Con - mostly because I can't use it as a week-long vacation - but it ticks all of the boxes.

Even the "delicious, delicious food trucks" box.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds