Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: TOKEN WALLETS- by Molda

Re: TOKEN WALLETS- by Molda 13 years 3 months ago #85

  • Molda
  • Molda's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • 5th Level
  • A VIEW FROM THE SANDS
  • Posts: 1004
I only have English/American stamps. I am sure that others are made and sold somewhere though.
Tandy leather has Hebrew and Greek lettering sets but they run $60. per set (plus shipping) and even with my discount that will be close to $50. They do not have equivalent numbers though.
I can hand trace any other alphebet and use a stylus to make a shallow impression around those. I can apply the metal leaf technique with or without an impression, so any design that can be traced can be leafed, dyed, or painted.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity! (Luckily I'm only half.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: TOKEN WALLETS- by Molda 13 years 3 months ago #86

  • Xavon
  • Xavon's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 7th Level
  • Supporter
  • Obligation is the sincerest form of insanity
  • Posts: 3155
I was actually thinking about the Japanese kanji for archery (弓道). But maybe spelling it in the English alphabet would work just as well.
Applications programming is a race between software engineers, who strive to produce idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, which strives to produce bigger idiots.  <br /><br />So far, the Universe is winning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: TOKEN WALLETS- by Molda 13 years 3 months ago #87

Lou - saw the new wallet on eBay earlier today - it looks FANTASTIC!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: TOKEN WALLETS- by Molda 13 years 3 months ago #88

  • Raven
  • Raven's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 11th Level
  • Supporter
  • Guildmaster Nightshade
  • Posts: 6704
Wow. Shiny!
I know what to ask for if (or more accurately "when") I get my next token wallet done!
"THERE WILL NEVER BE A TOKEN EQUAL TO A GOOD BRAIN!"- Smakdown

Check out these awesome resources:
Cranston's Character Generator for iDevices or Android
Amorgen's Excel Character Generator
And the ever-useful Token DataBase , expertly maintained by Druegar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: TOKEN WALLETS- by Molda 13 years 3 months ago #89

  • Molda
  • Molda's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • 5th Level
  • A VIEW FROM THE SANDS
  • Posts: 1004

Xavon wrote: I was actually thinking about the Japanese kanji for archery (弓道). But maybe spelling it in the English alphabet would work just as well.


I can do that. For something like that, which is composed of various lines, I could use standard leather carving techniques. That is if you wanted them large enough. Carving actually requires using a "swivel knife" to cut through the top layers of the leather and then using beveling tools to make the design really step out by tapering the sides of the lines that were cut. This gives a naturally darker look to the lines that were tooled but stains give a much darker look while leaving the rest of the leather considerably lighter. But using metal foil, such as the gold leaf will really make it pop out. The metal leaf is available in silver and copper, as well as gold.

And Binia and Raven, thank you. I have been wanting to try the gold leaf method since I bought the supplies last fall, but I have little time to devote to these crafts. However, the tax man commeth and I thought I would give it a quick try.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity! (Luckily I'm only half.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Molda.

Re: TOKEN WALLETS- by Molda 13 years 3 months ago #90

  • Xavon
  • Xavon's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 7th Level
  • Supporter
  • Obligation is the sincerest form of insanity
  • Posts: 3155

Molda wrote:

Xavon wrote: I was actually thinking about the Japanese kanji for archery (弓道). But maybe spelling it in the English alphabet would work just as well.


I can do that. For something like that, which is composed of various lines, I could use standard leather carving techniques. That is if you wanted them large enough. Carving actually requires using a "swivel knife" to cut through the top layers of the leather and then using beveling tools to make the design really step out by tapering the sides of the lines that were cut. This gives a naturally darker look to the lines that were tooled but stains give a much darker look while leaving the rest of the leather considerably lighter. But using metal foil, such as the gold leaf will really make it pop out. The metal leaf is available in silver and copper, as well as gold.

And Binia and Raven, thank you. I have been wanting to try the gold leaf method since I bought the supplies last fall, but I have little time to devote to these crafts. However, the tax man commeth and I thought I would give it a quick try.


Okay, one last question; do you have silver hardware for the Paladin style wallets to go with the silver leaf?
Applications programming is a race between software engineers, who strive to produce idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, which strives to produce bigger idiots.  <br /><br />So far, the Universe is winning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: TOKEN WALLETS- by Molda 13 years 3 months ago #91

  • Molda
  • Molda's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • 5th Level
  • A VIEW FROM THE SANDS
  • Posts: 1004
Silver hardware is not available, but nickel plated hardware (my standard type) is identical in looks and wears much better.
One more caveat; the terms "gold leaf" and "silver leaf", in this case, are not truly made of gold or silver, but metal alloys that look convincingly like the metal they are named after. Gold leaf and silver leaf does exist, but they are economically out of reach for crafts of this category.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity! (Luckily I'm only half.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Molda.

Re: TOKEN WALLETS- by Molda 13 years 3 months ago #92

  • Xavon
  • Xavon's Avatar
  • Offline
  • 7th Level
  • Supporter
  • Obligation is the sincerest form of insanity
  • Posts: 3155

Molda wrote: Silver hardware is not available, but nickel plated hardware (my standard type) is identical in looks and wears much better.
One more caveat; the terms "gold leaf" and "silver leaf", in this case, are not truly made of gold or silver, but metal alloys that look convincingly like the metal they are named after. Gold leaf and silver leaf does exist, but they are economically out of reach for crafts of this category.


I didn't mean real silver, just silver colored, instead of the gold colored like in the one on eBay.

Alright, I think it might be time to take this into private message.
Applications programming is a race between software engineers, who strive to produce idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, which strives to produce bigger idiots.  <br /><br />So far, the Universe is winning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: TOKEN WALLETS- by Molda 13 years 2 weeks ago #93

Molda,

Any chance I'll receive the custom tolken holder that I 1) bid $40 and won and 2) sent you $30 as a personal thank on top of the charity to you back on April 1st... prior to Gencon/TD this year?

Hopefully I am not out of line, but I would really like to use what I've given $70 for.

Cheers
I can't help being a gorgeous fiend. It's just the card I drew.

Member of Team Kraken Killers 2011, ISO 2012, Synergy 2013, Synergy 2014, Synergy 2015, Synergy 2016

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: TOKEN WALLETS- by Molda 13 years 2 weeks ago #94

I am taking it he is away or busy, never got any from the PM or email from the site landspeeder_95

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: TOKEN WALLETS- by Molda 13 years 2 weeks ago #95

Hopefully everything is alright with him. We had some email correspondence regarding the charity item that completely ceased about 3 months ago.
I can't help being a gorgeous fiend. It's just the card I drew.

Member of Team Kraken Killers 2011, ISO 2012, Synergy 2013, Synergy 2014, Synergy 2015, Synergy 2016

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: TOKEN WALLETS- by Molda 13 years 2 weeks ago #96

hopefully

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds