Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: N1/2/3 Easter Eggs?

N1/2/3 Easter Eggs? 11 months 1 week ago #1

Obvious spoilers on this thread.

I'm curious about any Easter eggs / fun interactions in the dungeons this year, here are the ones we noticed:

N1: Only Magic Missile could hit the Ogre Mage on the boat stern, other spells would miss.

N2: As you go through the ship between rooms there are some notes for the end boss to the captain. The last note indicates he is upset at the dirty state of the fireplace.

As players, when the monster turned invisible, you could ask the DM if you could slide to cover the monster in ash. If you did, the DM would tell you 1 party member each round could attempt this, to do so they had to slide on the 18 patch, if they succeeded invisibility was negated.

N2: If you freed the NPC in room 7 dungeon they would eventually tell you that you could hide in the cage to avoid getting attacked by the giants. You were still allowed to make ranged and spell attacks from that location.

N3: To cure yourself of corruption, there were 2 bowls on pedestals with bubbling liquid and red and blue LEDs, if you drank it you were cured (washing didn't do the trick).

Our DM allowed the use of Flask of Sharing to heal 2 people from 1 bowl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

N1/2/3 Easter Eggs? 11 months 1 week ago #2

Was there anything about the ghost in N3?

I noticed the "days of the week" puzzle alcoves were set up for a Pepper's ghost illusion, but didn't see anything.

However my friend noticed a ghost image in one of them.

Then, in the "drink mead" puzzle, a ghost appears in the mirror to conduct / sing along with the players (I couldn't see it as my back was to it and I was towards the end).


Did anyone get anything more out of that in terms of the identity of the ghost, or did it appear elsewhere, or is it perhaps a clue to next year?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

N1/2/3 Easter Eggs? 11 months 1 week ago #3

Matthew Hayward wrote: N1: Only Magic Missile could hit the Ogre Mage on the boat stern, other spells would miss.


On levels below Nightmare, I believe this was just spell resistance, not spell immunity.

Also N1: the NPC in Room 1 is the same one we freed a couple years ago.

Matthew Hayward wrote: N1: As you go through the ship between rooms there are some notes for the end boss to the captain. The last note indicates he is upset at the dirty state of the fireplace.

As players, when the monster turned invisible, you could ask the DM if you could slide to cover the monster in ash. If you did, the DM would tell you 1 party member each round could attempt this, to do so they had to slide on the 18 patch, if they succeeded invisibility was negated.


The notes were from Rak Montha, potentially a clue that we would face a Rakshasha

Matthew Hayward wrote: Our DM allowed the use of Flask of Sharing to heal 2 people from 1 bowl.


I wish I'd thought of that! One party I was with had the entire group corrupted in room 2, due to someone launching a fireball at a corruption covered sack in the corner.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

N1/2/3 Easter Eggs? 11 months 1 week ago #4

The ghost was the npc from the first or second room. I'm confident the actress followed the group around. We got hints from watching her in the food room that we probably wouldn't have solved in time without. This was a very cool effect and an amusing in theme way to provide hints rather than just having the dm do it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

N1/2/3 Easter Eggs? 11 months 1 week ago #5

Aegoce wrote: The ghost was the npc from the first or second room. I'm confident the actress followed the group around. We got hints from watching her in the food room that we probably wouldn't have solved in time without. This was a very cool effect and an amusing in theme way to provide hints rather than just having the dm do it.


That is so cool!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

N1/2/3 Easter Eggs? 11 months 1 week ago #6

Fiddy wrote:
I wish I'd thought of that! One party I was with had the entire group corrupted in room 2, due to someone launching a fireball at a corruption covered sack in the corner.


I guess you could say that... backfired (ba-dum-tiss).

I didn't think to do that, and I'm glad I didn't. I think when that prop was a spider sack a few years back fire was effective.

I wonder if any other type of damage (sacred, acid)? would have purified it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Matthew Hayward.

N1/2/3 Easter Eggs? 11 months 1 week ago #7

Matthew Hayward wrote: Was there anything about the ghost in N3?

I noticed the "days of the week" puzzle alcoves were set up for a Pepper's ghost illusion, but didn't see anything.

However my friend noticed a ghost image in one of them.

Then, in the "drink mead" puzzle, a ghost appears in the mirror to conduct / sing along with the players (I couldn't see it as my back was to it and I was towards the end).


Did anyone get anything more out of that in terms of the identity of the ghost, or did it appear elsewhere, or is it perhaps a clue to next year?


The same NPC friend from room 1 (who meets a grizzly end in room 2) follows you along and tries to help out with those puzzles. They give you clues in both of the puzzle rooms (some ghosts seemed better than others at this). In the days of the week room, they would (randomly?) move into the alcoves and try to give you clues for what each day was. Some seemed to respond to what the party said to them, others didn't see to. It seemed easy to miss them unless the party specifically had someone looking at each room, as no one might be looking at the particular alcove they entered.

In the drinking room, they would pantomime the actions you needed to take while you sang. Again, some seemed to respond to players and others did not. May have been the style of the NPC, or possibly the difficulty level?


The clue for next year was actually one of Rak Montha's notes in N1. We're going to the Infernal Pits (and a couple other places). That was revealed at Origins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

N1/2/3 Easter Eggs? 11 months 1 week ago #8

Did any rogue try to lockpick or wizard try a spell to open the cage door or was it still 2 rounds either way?

In n2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jon.

N1/2/3 Easter Eggs? 11 months 1 week ago #9

jon wrote: Did any rogue try to lockpick or wizard try a spell to open the cage door or was it still 2 rounds either way?

In n2


We tried it on the golden ticket run and were told that it was frozen solid with ice. So I tried to melt it with a tindertwig to loosen it up, and the spark of the tindertwig woke the giants.

That was on Epic difficulty, but maybe it would work on lower difficulties?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

N1/2/3 Easter Eggs? 11 months 1 week ago #10

jon wrote: Did any rogue try to lockpick or wizard try a spell to open the cage door or was it still 2 rounds either way?

In n2


Hmm - I played the wizard and said I freed them (with mundane means) on Hardcore, and I think it took 1 round (I wasn't allowed to act that round, they got out at the end).

I think they might have not given the clue about being safe in the cage till after the 2nd round.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

N1/2/3 Easter Eggs? 11 months 1 week ago #11

Matthew Hayward wrote: Pepper's ghost illusion


I knew that had a name but couldn't remember it. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper%27s_ghost

Yeah I saw the ghost in those a couple times. Cool effect.

Smart about the Flask of Sharing!
Classes Played: Barbarian (20 times), Monk (10), Cleric (9), Fighter (8), Rogue (8), Dwarf Fighter (6), Ranger (6), Paladin (5), Druid (5), Elf Wizard (2), Wizard (1).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

N1/2/3 Easter Eggs? 11 months 1 week ago #12

You could splash the holy water (blue fountain water) on the corruption monster to do damage to it. That was mentioned in the riddle reveal.
Classes Played: Barbarian (20 times), Monk (10), Cleric (9), Fighter (8), Rogue (8), Dwarf Fighter (6), Ranger (6), Paladin (5), Druid (5), Elf Wizard (2), Wizard (1).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds