Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: No Token Nightmare Run

No Token Nightmare Run 3 months 2 weeks ago #13

Wade Schwendemann wrote: Some players tried a 5 man, sealed hardcore run at GHC. It did not go well.


We did sealed 5-man hardcore with one outside token and died on the second combat. I do think with two outside tokens we could have made it to the final combat.

But a Nightmare sealed pack isn't going to go well. You will definitely only hit on 20s and you won't have enough healing to stay alive.

There is a way to cheat though. If you play REALLY slow during combats then you can get only one round per monster and only take one attack (or less if you win initiative). Then you just have to focus on healing.
My online token shop: www.tdtavern.com (5% discount code: TDFORUM)

My builds: Ranger and Bard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No Token Nightmare Run 3 months 2 weeks ago #14

jedibcg wrote: Challenge accepted. Looking for 9 brave adventures to do a 3 token challenge of N2 at Orgins. The 3 tokens will be CoA, ISSN, ISGN. I will post in another tread to see if I can get foolish people to join.

Ice beast had 125 health on normal.
Troll shaman had 200.
Frost Giants 125 each.


I'm in.
"It's treason then."



Cranston's Character Generator for iDevices or Character Generator for Android

Amorgen's Excellent Excel Character Generator

Have you checked the Token DataBase ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No Token Nightmare Run 3 months 2 weeks ago #15

Harlax wrote: At TDC I was part of a group that did a 7 token nightmare challenge. It was effectively 5 tokens as everyone used their treasure enhancers. We succeeded, but it was a strong group of players who worked well together.


Nightmare is more difficult now than it was then. I dont think it would work now.

No tokens? No chance.


That was a lot of fun, we should do it again sometime.
Semper Gumby, Always flexible.

Sartre sits in in a coffee shop and asks for a coffee without cream. The barista apologizes “Sorry, we don't have any cream. Can I offer you a coffee without milk instead?”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No Token Nightmare Run 3 months 2 weeks ago #16

Picc wrote:

Harlax wrote: At TDC I was part of a group that did a 7 token nightmare challenge. It was effectively 5 tokens as everyone used their treasure enhancers. We succeeded, but it was a strong group of players who worked well together.


Nightmare is more difficult now than it was then. I dont think it would work now.

No tokens? No chance.


That was a lot of fun, we should do it again sometime.


I'd be willing to do a 7 token, nightmare run of the new dungeon (E1?) at Origins as a first run.
This would still be harder, as there would be 3 treasure enhancers among the 7 rather than only 2 like before.
Also, the changes to the eldritch rules might make this a different animal all together.
First ever death in True Horde
"Well, with you guarding 2 players, that means you take 90. Are you dead?"
-Incognito

My fledgling token shop: Wade's Wide World of Wonder 

My Current Paladin Build 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No Token Nightmare Run 3 months 2 weeks ago #17

Wade Schwendemann wrote:

Picc wrote:

Harlax wrote: At TDC I was part of a group that did a 7 token nightmare challenge. It was effectively 5 tokens as everyone used their treasure enhancers. We succeeded, but it was a strong group of players who worked well together.


Nightmare is more difficult now than it was then. I dont think it would work now.

No tokens? No chance.


That was a lot of fun, we should do it again sometime.


I'd be willing to do a 7 token, nightmare run of the new dungeon (E1?) at Origins as a first run.
This would still be harder, as there would be 3 treasure enhancers among the 7 rather than only 2 like before.
Also, the changes to the eldritch rules might make this a different animal all together.


That said we might want to go to 8 to make room for full TEs, as you say the rest would still be harder due to the healing nerfs, but perhaps we should start a thread to discuss rather then taking over this one.
Semper Gumby, Always flexible.

Sartre sits in in a coffee shop and asks for a coffee without cream. The barista apologizes “Sorry, we don't have any cream. Can I offer you a coffee without milk instead?”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No Token Nightmare Run 3 months 2 weeks ago #18

Quaffo wrote:

Arnold wrote: As little tokens as possible - Of course. But that's a very broad definition.


Alright, that sounds pretty cool, since the Vow of Poverty allows around 7 worthless mundane items (a bowl, a spoon, a robe, a quarterstaff sized stick, etc).

So what would be the minimal amount of mundane items needed for a Nightmare run with a monk?


You'd have to be very strategic in the combats - take a really long time, keep it to 1-2 rounds without the DMs realizing what you're doing and saying "OK then - the monster attacks again!"

There is some gear that fits your mundane category, thing like a common robe for +1 AC, there are quarterstaffs etc.

At nightmare though monster AC is often over 20, so you'l need 20s to hit.

Nightmare monsters have to-hit bonuses in the +16 range, so they would be missing you on around 1/7th of attacks. If you could keep it to 2 monster attacks per room, and 3 combat rooms per dungeon, then you'd skate through without getting hit around 1/100,000!

Perhaps you could arrange some roleplay with a group that goes in front of you and leaves you healing?

Push damage would kill you before the end of the dungeon on nightmare.

You'd have no chance of killing nightmare monsters which have 250-500+ hitpoints.

With a itemless monk a double crit would deal 14 points of damage - so you'd need to double slide 20s for 15 rounds in a row or so.
Pick your Purple and discounted token packs: discount-dungeon.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No Token Nightmare Run 3 months 2 weeks ago #19

SnakeEyes (Eric) wrote: Sealed pack Viper's Pit at Gen Con this year was a struggle. Only 1 of 10 survived.

I guess our group was the exception - we finished without losing anyone. Spell surge twice from the druid is huge damage to the end boss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No Token Nightmare Run 3 months 2 weeks ago #20

jedibcg wrote: Challenge accepted. Looking for 9 brave adventures to do a 3 token challenge of N2 at Orgins. The 3 tokens will be CoA, ISSN, ISGN. I will post in another tread to see if I can get foolish people to join.

Ice beast had 125 health on normal.
Troll shaman had 200.
Frost Giants 125 each.


Guess i'm foolish enough to be interested long as scheduling allows.

I've never done a X token challenge but i've done Green with Envy which was hardcore with nothing but uncommons and Bloody nightmare nothing but reds (can't remember if we allowed a lvl bump or not). The bloody nightmare run went alright aside from a certain druid not paying attention to one's environment.
We're all the kind of people who enjoy the game on a "meta" level. We like talking about the game year-round. We buy tokens. We enjoy crafting. We get together during the off-season if we can. We are a very skewed demographic that way. -Raven

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No Token Nightmare Run 3 months 2 weeks ago #21

  • jedibcg
  • jedibcg's Avatar
  • Away
  • Hero Member +2
  • Hero Member +2
  • What is personal text?
  • Posts: 6684

Matt wrote:

jedibcg wrote: Challenge accepted. Looking for 9 brave adventures to do a 3 token challenge of N2 at Orgins. The 3 tokens will be CoA, ISSN, ISGN. I will post in another tread to see if I can get foolish people to join.

Ice beast had 125 health on normal.
Troll shaman had 200.
Frost Giants 125 each.


Guess i'm foolish enough to be interested long as scheduling allows.

I've never done a X token challenge but i've done Green with Envy which was hardcore with nothing but uncommons and Bloody nightmare nothing but reds (can't remember if we allowed a lvl bump or not). The bloody nightmare run went alright aside from a certain druid not paying attention to one's environment.


See the part where I said I would post in another thread.

www.truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=612&id=248681
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds