Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lending tokens

Lending tokens 4 months 3 weeks ago #13

Incendiaeternus (Phoenix) wrote: I have the sheets from tdtavern that I have sets up where for most of the 'core build' for two-three of us that play on things that don't change much, you just pull one row out and each person/class uses the whole row. Makes it easier if we only have two, that I know the third row can be lent. Other sheets have 'class specifics' in their own row, so those can be pulled for that class 'rogue row', 'monk row' and so on and used from there. If not class specific I have other rows of plate, mail, cloth wearer type things or spellcaster/melee use items that I can just pull the row out and lend and it's not on something I'm using. Not fully down to I'm not playing x class but a bit closer.


You should consider one of the character generators. It helps when switching things out and in the coaching room, you show it and your tokens to the coach and you get one additional max hit point for every character on the app/website.
Please visit my fledgling token store.
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=583&id=247486

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lending tokens 4 months 3 weeks ago #14

Bob Chasan wrote: You should consider one of the character generators. It helps when switching things out and in the coaching room, you show it and your tokens to the coach and you get one additional max hit point for every character on the app/website.

I do have the character generator, but that doesn't help if I'm trying to help others who just walked in and keeping them all physical organized to either hand out to others just building a new character. This way I have a physical sheet where everything is together that I can hand over and not chasing tokens in the dark (been there in the past!).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lending tokens 4 months 3 weeks ago #15

Incendiaeternus (Phoenix) wrote:

Bob Chasan wrote: You should consider one of the character generators. It helps when switching things out and in the coaching room, you show it and your tokens to the coach and you get one additional max hit point for every character on the app/website.

I do have the character generator, but that doesn't help if I'm trying to help others who just walked in and keeping them all physical organized to either hand out to others just building a new character. This way I have a physical sheet where everything is together that I can hand over and not chasing tokens in the dark (been there in the past!).


Ok cool!
How about have all the characters built out
Taking a look at the new players tokens to see if they have any tokens which are better than your prebuilt character
If so: you should only have to swap out a few tokens
The app would then be correct, complete and ready for the coach to use.

Would that work?????
Please visit my fledgling token store.
truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=583&id=247486

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lending tokens 4 months 3 weeks ago #16

You're trying to optimize token usage across multiple classes in a fairly short amount of time and potentially with people that may already be feeling a bit anxious in a new situation. I've mostly stopped trying and switched to sort of minimalist loaning strategy. This really only works if the other people are relatively new to TD and you're doing normal and sort of works on the assumption that most people really just want to live through the dungeon to interact with it all.

I have a few sets of most of the rare and lower HP+ tokens. They're in coin collecting plastic tubes (stored in cargo shorts when done with coaching). It's fairly quick to pop them out into stacks where each has the same tokens. Then just look across the table to see who has which slots free. Then just tell them how much more HP they'll have. Little for them to remember. I tend not to even bother handing the tokens over as it's just another thing for the coach to add up. The key to make this really easy is not to even give the option of replacing a token they've already put on the sheet. Just tell them you can fill in some unused slots for them and they get +X HP. Everybody has seemed pretty happy with that.

Other than that I'll hand a spare level enhancing strategy (ring or medallion) to a caster. Often that gets verified without getting transferred to the other mat as well, then I just have to keep an eye to make sure they don't fill the slot accidentally before the coach rolls to them.

The other advantage of this is it frees up time to talk about maximizing dungeoneering skill rather than maximizing gear. At normal, making sure people know they really should speak up in puzzle rooms and when they need healing will help the party more than most gear loaning (at least for rare and under gear).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Aegoce.

Lending tokens 4 months 3 weeks ago #17

Bob Chasan wrote: Would that work?????


O.o I'm not the OP I was giving suggestions not looking for help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Incendiaeternus (Phoenix).

Lending tokens 4 months 3 weeks ago #18

Keep in mind, whenever anybody offers anyone unsolicited help, the helper is implicitly saying “you’re not good enough.”This applies to everything in life, not just TD. Some will graciously accept, and appreciate it. In my experience, it wins no converts. Quite the opposite. Others feel offended, and others feel even more over their heads. The more you try to “help” them, the more inadequate they feel.

You’re also telling people that they need to invest in a suitcase full of gear to have fun. That would chase away newbies, even if tix weren’t already $80.

And we veterans tend to make tokens more important than they are. Remember, Normal is designed so a group of newbies can swap around their 100 random tokens and survive to room 7. You shouldn’t have to lend anything to be successful, and kitting 9 newbies at epic level won’t prevent failure.

Some think they can drag a bunch of newbies through on HC or even NM if they just lend out enough gear. I beg you, don’t. It adds too much stress and reduces fun. Ruining a potential new fan’s first experience in exchange for a better completion token is at best well-meaning but counterproductive, and at worst cruel and self-centered. (Not directed at anyone on the thread, this is more for anyone lurking.)

Please, just keep it simple and low-pressure: HPs and TEs. Maybe Earcuffs of Retort for everyone (for E-series). Widseth’s for the Bard (because singing and fighting is fun). Thief tools. Haven Holy Symbol.

I’ve done it the other way. It never worked out the way I thought it would. I’m not proud of my mistakes, but I’m happy to discuss them if that helps keep someone else from repeating them.
barkley.neo.rr.com -->see my trade thread HERE , my eBay store HERE or my web store HERE
"Ceci n'est pas une pipe" - Magritte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lending tokens 4 months 3 weeks ago #19

Instead of loaning a bunch of stuff, you could always get a stack of commons to add to the pile to distribute to other players on your run, and just let them have them when done. When running with a group with just the starters, people usually pool the commons and uncommons and pass them around. If you grabbed, like, 5x of each of:

Blighted Boots
Blighted Belts
Blighted Pants
Bogling Necklaces
Bogling Gloves
Bogling Shirts
Haven Small Shields
Haven Helms
Spirit Axes
Tooth Armor

you could toss them into the stack and let people pull for their builds. This would really fill out new players with generally pretty simple tokens and you don't have to worry about getting them back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lending tokens 4 months 3 weeks ago #20

Brad Mortensen wrote: Please, just keep it simple and low-pressure: HPs and TEs. Maybe Earcuffs of Retort for everyone (for E-series). Widseth’s for the Bard (because singing and fighting is fun). Thief tools. Haven Holy Symbol.


I'm not exactly Mr. Suitcase, but I carry with me enough red tokens to be able to play any class in a pick-up group, so if I see new players who really don't have anything, I'll toss them one of my spare +1 weapons to use (cool weapon is cool) and possibly a rare armor if they're a fighting class (since everyone understands +5 AC and they can immediately forget about it once they hand me the token back). Other than that, no reason to get involved.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lending tokens 4 months 3 weeks ago #21

I typically give away the 10 pack minus an occassion token.

I also give away 75% plus of tokens in treasure pulls.

Never had anyone turn me down on free tokens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lending tokens 4 months 3 weeks ago #22

Endgame wrote: Instead of loaning a bunch of stuff, you could always get a stack of commons to add to the pile to distribute to other players on your run, and just let them have them when done. When running with a group with just the starters, people usually pool the commons and uncommons and pass them around. If you grabbed, like, 5x of each of:

Blighted Boots
Blighted Belts
Blighted Pants
Bogling Necklaces
Bogling Gloves
Bogling Shirts
Haven Small Shields
Haven Helms
Spirit Axes
Tooth Armor

you could toss them into the stack and let people pull for their builds. This would really fill out new players with generally pretty simple tokens and you don't have to worry about getting them back.


Interesting, i tend to agree with Brad where loaning tends to back fire on me unless it's loaning something between vets who are having to shift class or play an alt build in a pug.

I'm guilty as i usually carry a spare RoH and a few spare weapons in pugs i'm on as i selfishly like to see cleric/bard at 5th if they want it.

Endgame, this reminds me quite a bit of folks around various MTG shops around with folks who'll leave or giveway their draft/limited stuff as giveways to new folks or anyone who can use it. Just at a certain point some of us don't want to deal with bulk and if others can get use for it without being seen as overbearing might be a good idea.
We're all the kind of people who enjoy the game on a "meta" level. We like talking about the game year-round. We buy tokens. We enjoy crafting. We get together during the off-season if we can. We are a very skewed demographic that way. -Raven

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lending tokens 4 months 3 weeks ago #23

  • jedibcg
  • jedibcg's Avatar
  • Away
  • 8th Level
  • Supporter
  • What is personal text?
  • Posts: 7792
I am still unsure of what the original poster was asking exactly.
You either discover a star or you don't. You arrogant punk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lending tokens 4 months 3 weeks ago #24

jedibcg wrote: I am still unsure of what the original poster was asking exactly.

like we ever stick to topic
delpchad.blogspot.com/

First solo Nightmare survivor-2014 Viper pit

Allergic to Lori

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.307 seconds